Multiple Quad Nic`s

Propphet

I was wondering if its possible to use miltple pcie quad network cards in 1 machine without problems like this one

(f4tabOy.jpg)

System rig (gonna be used for pfsense)

I5 750

Asus-p7p55d

4 Gb ram

You should be able to but why not just use a switch?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

You should be able to but why not just use a switch?

i want to monitor every pc independently in pfsense (dont even know if you can do that with a switch)

4 minutes ago, Propphet said:

i want to monitor every pc independently in pfsense (dont even know if you can do that with a switch)

Depending on the switch you can. I thought there was a utility in pfsense that works based on IPs and not the port.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Depending on the switch you can. I thought there was a utility in pfsense that works based on IPs and not the port.

To be precise its an TL-SG108 and if thats possible that woud be perfect still gotta buy an second switch than because need around 13 ports 

3 minutes ago, Propphet said:

To be precise its an TL-SG108 and if thats possible that woud be perfect still gotta buy an second switch than because need around 13 ports 

That's an unmanaged layer two switch, so you can't monitor with it. Like I said, I thought pfsense had an IP based monitor. I would suggest looking into it more as I know there are a number of different monitoring utilities in pfsense. 

13 minutes ago, Propphet said:

Get a managed switch with vlans. 

There is no need for a router with more than 2 ports(wan + lan)

The reason to use many NICs if you have many networks or if you need to bond them for additional bandwidth.

Otherwise even with a switch pfsense can detect. Make sure both the switch and pfsense uses ARP.

21 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

The reason to use many NICs if you have many networks or if you need to bond them for additional bandwidth.

Otherwise even with a switch pfsense can detect. Make sure both the switch and pfsense uses ARP.

Thats the thing got that 2gbps fiber line

Just now, System Error Message said:

Well just plug them in and they will work. Make sure they operate at PCIe x4 link.

Yes thats fine for now untill the other room mates want that 2gbps aswell and i have to use more 10gbps nic`s

i use SFP+, its a good alternative but requires a switch that supports it too.

For example 2 SFP+ NICs. If you have 2Gb/s internet than a quad port NIC too for that. You would need a managed switch with many ports and 2 SFP+ ports. Simply bond the SFP+ ports together and some of the 1Gb/s ethernet ports on the switch and that will give you what you want.

SFP+ to SFP+ direct is cheap. Look for 2nd hand cards that datacenters chuck out.

7 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

i use SFP+, its a good alternative but requires a switch that supports it too.

For example 2 SFP+ NICs. If you have 2Gb/s internet than a quad port NIC too for that. You would need a managed switch with many ports and 2 SFP+ ports. Simply bond the SFP+ ports together and some of the 1Gb/s ethernet ports on the switch and that will give you what you want.

SFP+ to SFP+ direct is cheap. Look for 2nd hand cards that datacenters chuck out.

Thats auctually a really good idea gotta look what the prices are tho not an miljonair overhere