i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i and an Asus Z170-A - Safe overclock?

AgentL3r

Hey all,

Planning to overclock my i5 6600K to about 4.5 GHz with a Corsair H100i and an Asus Z170-A Motherboard. I don't plan to change the voltage too much.

Is it a good idea? How much voltage is recommended?

4.5GHz is a very common OC on the i5 6600k

For the voltage try not go higher than 1.35v but if its needed and your temps are cool and its stable you can bump it up a little more

But i highly do not recommended anything higher than 1.4v

6 hours ago, AgentL3r said:

Hey all,

Planning to overclock my i5 6600K to about 4.5 GHz with a Corsair H100i and an Asus Z170-A Motherboard. I don't plan to change the voltage too much.

Is it a good idea? How much voltage is recommended?

Let's... CPU for OCing, mobo for OCing and a great cooler for OCing.... yeah, it is a good idea, unless you want to feel like you are wasting your money buying those and not doing what you've payed extra for.

As for voltage, don't go over 1.4v and keep peak temps below 85 all the time.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

That should be very safe, my i5-6400 is running a 30 dollar air cooler at 4.4 GHz (1.34 Vcore) and it's totally fine. Water cooler is probably overkill. 

As long as the voltage and temperatures stay in check.

The system runs stable.

And as long as the system doesnt self combust.

Then i would say yes :D

my i5 6600k on my msi Z170A motherboard overclock @4,6 Ghz with 1.290v (cooled just like you with a 2x 120mm AIO with 30°C-55°C values)

don't forget to add LLC (load line calibration) it's very important to sustain power increase under load. You can set it to auto but I would suggest to put yourself the smallest mode available, since auto (on my board) is always a bit late