Cpu adaptive mode not working

I cant get the CPU voltage adaptive mode to work. I have it in adaptive mode with the additional turbo mode CPU core voltage set to 1.350 for a OC at 4.6Ghz with the 6700K, but when I sign into windows it's instantly running at 1.5-1.6 volts. I don't understand what's going on here.

Specs

6700K OC 4.6Ghz

DDR4 at 3200mhz

Asus impact viii formula z170

bios.jpg

Change the core voltage to manual mode,

Adaptive changes the voltage to what is required to run the cpu

Do you have AISuite installed? if so go digital power control and set the cpu current capability to like 100% or 110%. I would stick to manual mode for overclocking anyways. 

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

Change the core voltage to manual mode,

Adaptive changes the voltage to what is required to run the cpu

I don't want to run my cpu at 1.350 all the time everyday though.

Just now, CaptainAustin said:

You have balance power option in windows power options it will clock your cpu clock speed and your voltages. 

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, CaptainAustin said:

why not? remember wattage is calculated by V x A = W

your current draw will be low when its on idle because its not drawing the current needed

2 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

You have balance power option in windows power options it will clock your cpu clock speed and your voltages. 

I already have it on balanced mode.

I already have it on balanced mode.

Do you have Ai Suite installed than? 

2 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

why not? remember wattage is calculated by V x A = W

your current draw will be low when its on idle because its not drawing the current needed

^

Magical Pineapples

6 minutes ago, CaptainAustin said:

You could run 1.4V on a Skylake chip without any issues arising in the future iirc. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

-SNIP-

You need to setup an offset voltage for adaptive, just note that it can rise up above your set amounts if you run an artificial stress test which is why it's not recommend to not run any unless they are real world type stress tests. 

9 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Do you have AISuite installed? if so go digital power control and set the cpu current capability to like 100% or 110%. I would stick to manual mode for overclocking anyways. 

I have it set to manual at 1.350 right now but the voltage is bouncing all over the place between 1.2-1.6

offset voltage is on 'AUTO' is the reason your CPU voltage is high..

really should review adaptive settings guide before terminal damage is done.

prolly be best to run static voltage (manual mode), set c-states and power options in the OS.

move back to the UEFI and use F5 (default settings), F10 to save and rework that overclock.

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

offset voltage is on 'AUTO' is the reason your CPU voltage is high..

really should review adaptive settings guide before terminal damage is done.

prolly be best to run static voltage (manual mode), set c-states and power options in the OS.

move back to the UEFI and use F5 (default settings), F10 to save and rework that overclock.

What should I set the offset voltage to?

16 minutes ago, CaptainAustin said:

What should I set the offset voltage to?

It depends on each CPU since it varies I would recommend to start with +0.010V since I see you have an adaptive voltage of approx 1.296V. If you want to do a stress test on adaptive use cinebench as it provides a real world type stress without a voltage jump. Ideally you will want to set it up so the voltage rises to approx the same amount you got it stable with manual voltages. 

38 minutes ago, W-L said:

It depends on each CPU since it varies I would recommend to start with +0.010V since I see you have an adaptive voltage of approx 1.296V. If you want to do a stress test on adaptive use cinebench as it provides a real world type stress without a voltage jump. Ideally you will want to set it up so the voltage rises to approx the same amount you got it stable with manual voltages. 

With those settings i'm getting 1.5-1.6 volts on idle.

2 minutes ago, CaptainAustin said:

With those settings i'm getting 1.5-1.6 volts on idle.

Wo there undo everything what voltage did you read are you sure that's 1.500V, cause that is the absolute maximum Intel recommends. 

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Wo there undo everything what voltage did you read are you sure that's 1.500V, cause that is the absolute maximum Intel recommends. 

Yeah I went to defaults and redid everything. I'm in offset mode right now and I'm getting between .800-1.38V and its stable so I might just use that since I cant get adaptive stable. 

13 minutes ago, CaptainAustin said:

Yeah I went to defaults and redid everything. I'm in offset mode right now and I'm getting between .800-1.38V and its stable so I might just use that since I cant get adaptive stable. 

For adaptive mode offset you don't set the same amount as in regular offset, it's based on the adaptive value that is beside there. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

For adaptive mode offset you don't set the same amount as in regular offset, it's based on the adaptive value that is beside there. 

I'm trying to stress but I don't know which vcore I should look at. These two programs are giving me different readings. Also for the adaptive mode, No matter what I put in the offset box it still gives the same 1.5V. 

vcore.png

8 minutes ago, CaptainAustin said:

I'm trying to stress but I don't know which vcore I should look at. These two programs are giving me different readings. Also for the adaptive mode, No matter what I put in the offset box it still gives the same 1.5V. 

Are you stress testing on adaptive or voltage offset mode, for adaptive you don't want to run Adia 64 however for voltage offset since I haven't looked to far into it personally I don't know if it has that same issue as on adaptive. 

Also I would trust CPU-Z more than Adia 64 however since they are software you cannot be 100% unless you have probe points on the motherbaord. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Are you stress testing on adaptive or voltage offset mode, for adaptive you don't want to run Adia 64 however for voltage offset since I haven't looked to far into it personally I don't know if it has that same issue as on adaptive. 

Also I would trust CPU-Z more than Adia 64 however since they are software you cannot be 100% unless you have probe points on the motherbaord. 

This is using the Voltage Offset mode. It seem that anything I do but manual mode results in crazy voltages.

Now I'm up at 1.7 volts........ Don't know what to do now. Maybe reflash the bios?

34 minutes ago, CaptainAustin said:

Now I'm up at 1.7 volts........ Don't know what to do now. Maybe reflash the bios?

What!?!

Ok I think your readings are way off try resetting the cmos to see if that solves your problem, if it was at that voltage RIP CPU. 

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

What!?!

Ok I think your readings are way off try resetting the cmos to see if that solves your problem, if it was at that voltage RIP CPU. 

It's working great now in manual mode at 4.6Ghz at 1.34V. I just don't want it to be on 1.34V constantly.... Is there any other way to fix the adaptive mode. Also I had a typo there I meant 1.5 lol

5 minutes ago, CaptainAustin said:

It's working great now in manual mode at 4.6Ghz at 1.34V. I just don't want it to be on 1.34V constantly.... Is there any other way to fix the adaptive mode. Also I had a typo there I meant 1.5 lol

Do you have a screenshot of your setting again for adaptive, also check Linus's quick guide on it that might help a little: