AMD CPU speed help

D_Swag
Go to solution Solved by D_Swag,

don't worry, i figured it out, i was being an idiot and never turned off cpu smart protection... turned it off and fixed everything.

I have an AMD CPU and am currently having a slight problem with it, its clocking at 1400Mhz, compared to its stock 4Ghz. Although i did have it at a successful OC of up to 4.7Ghz by adjusting the core ratio, so i tried turning up the base clock instead of the ratio, and now no matter what i do, i'm stuck at 1400Mhz, according to open hardware monitor and cpuz, although my bios says its 225x20=4500Mhz. even loading the optimized defaults its stuck at 1400Mhz.

Specs:

Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming

CPU: AMD FX 8350 eight-core cpu

MEMORY: 8GB DDR3-1333Mhz

GPU: MSI R7 370 4G

PSU: 850 watts

i did a stress test on it, the cpu went to 100% usage, then about 10 seconds in died down to 50%, and still ran at 1400Mhz, and also its temp remained at a suspiciously low temp of under 20 C with stock cooler.

Get something running that stresses the CPU a bit, 1.4 GHz is what mine runs at when just under light load. I have an FX-6300. Overclocked to 4.6, but still throttles to 1.4 when idle.

Temperatures aren't accurately monitored on AMD FX CPUs, especially at low temps. You can get pretty good estimates of how much headroom you have (temperature delta between current and max/throttle) by using AMD Overdrive.

You can try disabling AMD Cool n Quiet from the bios

2 hours ago, D_Swag said:

I have an AMD CPU and am currently having a slight problem with it, its clocking at 1400Mhz, compared to its stock 4Ghz. Although i did have it at a successful OC of up to 4.7Ghz by adjusting the core ratio, so i tried turning up the base clock instead of the ratio, and now no matter what i do, i'm stuck at 1400Mhz, according to open hardware monitor and cpuz, although my bios says its 225x20=4500Mhz. even loading the optimized defaults its stuck at 1400Mhz.

Specs:

Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming

CPU: AMD FX 8350 eight-core cpu

MEMORY: 8GB DDR3-1333Mhz

GPU: MSI R7 370 4G

PSU: 850 watts

i did a stress test on it, the cpu went to 100% usage, then about 10 seconds in died down to 50%, and still ran at 1400Mhz, and also its temp remained at a suspiciously low temp of under 20 C with stock cooler.

1400MHz it's OK for idle, as it saves power when not needed. It's the default behavior, reverting to 4.0 under 8-core loads, and 4.2 in 1-core loads. 

The key is whether you are seeing the right speeds under load, which I could not make out from your last sentence. If usage fell to 50% while stress testing, it could be that some cores failed while others kept running (which test were you running?). You can track the speed of each individual core, so if you only watch one speed, it could be the speed of the idling core.

6 hours ago, Hiebly said:

Temperatures aren't accurately monitored on AMD FX CPUs, especially at low temps. You can get pretty good estimates of how much headroom you have (temperature delta between current and max/throttle) by using AMD Overdrive.

You can try disabling AMD Cool n Quiet from the bios

i've always had problems with amd overdrive, so i don't use, and im pretty sure i disabled cool n quiet

don't worry, i figured it out, i was being an idiot and never turned off cpu smart protection... turned it off and fixed everything.