Should I re-seat my NH-D15?

Mentis

I need help judging my NH-D15 cooling performance on i7 6700k:

1) @4GHz 1.2V: 28c idle  64c on Intel BurnTest (that thing is SILENT!!!)

2) @4.5GHz 1.325V: 31c idle 83c on Intel BurnTest (I can hear it trying)

I really don't seem to be able to get a stable 4.5GHz overclock with 1.3V, so I stuck to 1.325V. (Anybody can give me recommendations to fix this?)

Should I blame the 83c temps on the voltage or the cooler? Should I expect lower than 64c on stock?

Thank you ^-^

The temps seem normal. 

What are your specs and how are your case fans positioned?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The temps seem normal. 

What are your specs and where are your fans positioned?

83c seems really high though ?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

83c seems really high though ?

It's not. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The temps seem normal. 

What are your specs and how are your case fans positioned?

I have an R5 Define, one 14mm front intake, one 14mm back outtake. The NH-D15 is using both included 14mm 1500RPM fans. The mobo is ASUS Z170-A.

Edit: I'm using 2 sticks of kingston SAVAGE 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CAS 13

3 minutes ago, Mentis said:

I have an R5 Define, one 14mm front intake, one 14mm back outtake. The NH-D15 is using both included 14mm 1500RPM fans. The mobo is ASUS Z170-A.

Yeah, those are pretty normal temps with only one intake and exhaust. 

If you want to push further or lower fan speeds, adding a top fan for exhaust would help the most.

Yeah, those are pretty normal temps with only one intake and exhaust. 

If you want to push further or lower fan speeds, adding a top fan for exhaust would help the most.

I tried opening the case, the temps drop mostly by 1-2 degrees though :S

1 minute ago, Mentis said:

I tried opening the case, the temps drop mostly by 1-2 degrees though :S

Well, yeah. Opening the side panel isn't going to help much with exhausting heat. 

Well, yeah. Opening the side panel isn't going to help much with exhausting heat. 

I have already bought a 14mm case fan which is still in transit, that I was going to install as front intake. Would it be better to open the top of the R5 and install it as outtake then? (I hope it doesn't kill the sound dampening of the R5 :/ )

1 minute ago, Mentis said:

I have already bought a 14mm case fan which is still in transit, that I was going to install as front intake. Would it be better to open the top of the R5 and install it as outtake then? (I hope it doesn't kill the sound dampening of the R5 )

A top exhaust would better help cooling. 

A top exhaust would better help cooling. 

So as a final thought, do you recommend that I keep the overclock (4.5GHz 1.325V)?

experiment around a bit with that extra fan you've mentioned is on the way, from my experience it doesnt really matter how good the fans on a big heatsink are, they dont have very much push left after the heatsink, case airlfow could probably cut a few degrees off that, but aircoolers are just not meant to operate at 35°c :P

(should add, temperature difference does not equal dissipated heat difference.)

1 hour ago, Mentis said:

So as a final thought, do you recommend that I keep the overclock (4.5GHz 1.325V)?

Sure.