Acer XB271HU Overclockability

Go to solution Solved by Rohime,
27 minutes ago, SamuelJE said:

That appears to be the displays native and safe refresh rate. Absolutely fine

Yeah, its pretty unclear why these "165Hz" Monitors have those claims all over them, but they come shipped configured as 144Hz in the box, and you need to "overclock" them.  Seems really strange.

Personally I suspect that it has to do with the "Standards" the monitor conforms to.   For example Display Port standard 1.2 is only 144Hz - so they claim Display Port 1.2 and configure (by default) at 144Hz.

To be able to claim DisplayPort 1.3, they could be 165Hz, but then they'd need to offer all the other Display Port 1.3 capability and they don't, they only offer DP1.2 capability.

This monitor is able to natively overclock to 165hz and I was wondering if it was safe to keep it at this rate without damaging or greatly decreasing its life span?

That appears to be the displays native and safe refresh rate. Absolutely fine.

Samuel Edwards

- IT Engineer and Media Producer -

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Current Project:   Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Just trying to be friendly and help where I can. Have yourself a great day!

Use @SamuelJE for friendly tech help :)

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3

CPU     -   intel i5-6600K 4Ghz on water

GPU     -   MSI GTX970 "Red Dragon"

Case    -   Zalman Z11 Plus (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

SSD     -   Crucial 250GB SATA SSD

HDD    -    4TB WD Green x 2

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Secondary PC - "Jonah"   (Mineral oil PC)

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-B250-DH1

CPU     -   intel i5-7500 Under Oil

GPU     -   Nvidia GTX 660 (Favorite and first ever GPU)

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Just now, SamuelJE said:

That appears to be the displays native and safe refresh rate. Absolutely fine.

Alright, thank you for the info!

27 minutes ago, SamuelJE said:

That appears to be the displays native and safe refresh rate. Absolutely fine

Yeah, its pretty unclear why these "165Hz" Monitors have those claims all over them, but they come shipped configured as 144Hz in the box, and you need to "overclock" them.  Seems really strange.

Personally I suspect that it has to do with the "Standards" the monitor conforms to.   For example Display Port standard 1.2 is only 144Hz - so they claim Display Port 1.2 and configure (by default) at 144Hz.

To be able to claim DisplayPort 1.3, they could be 165Hz, but then they'd need to offer all the other Display Port 1.3 capability and they don't, they only offer DP1.2 capability.

It's probably worth being aware that if you PC Graphics card Port only supports DP1.2 (and not 1.3) and / or the CABLE only supports DP1.2 (and not 1.3) then you have a risk that connection quality will be an issue (ie: port or cable cannot cope with the bandwidth for 165Hz).

I'd consider this an extremely low risk.   Almost all modern GPU's are at least DP1.2+ (some are DP1.4) and while a cable might only be certified for DP1.2 it would have to be pretty shoddy to not work at the extra Hz.

But having said that... an old card might only be DP1.2 and *might* have issues above 144Hz

18 minutes ago, Rohime said:

It's probably worth being aware that if you PC Graphics card Port only supports DP1.2 (and not 1.3) and / or the CABLE only supports DP1.2 (and not 1.3) then you have a risk that connection quality will be an issue (ie: port or cable cannot cope with the bandwidth for 165Hz).

I'd consider this an extremely low risk.   Almost all modern GPU's are at least DP1.2+ (some are DP1.4) and while a cable might only be certified for DP1.2 it would have to be pretty shoddy to not work at the extra Hz.

But having said that... an old card might only be DP1.2 and *might* have issues above 144Hz

Do you know how I could figure out what kind of cable I have?

15 minutes ago, IND4Z0NE said:

Do you know how I could figure out what kind of cable I have?

The monitor comes with cables.