Just heard that even screaming can diminish HDD performance. Not true, right?

Aleksbgbg

Screaming near a HDD won't lower said HDD's performance right?

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Well, it depends. If you are screaming at it, it will get sad and fail to perform. If you are screaming next to it, it'll just be afraid and hide.

The only way I find that logical is if you are causing insane amounts of vibration.

Just now, SysAdminInTraining said:

Well, it depends. If you are screaming at it, it will get sad and fail to perform. If you are screaming next to it, it'll just be afraid and hide.

The only way I find that logical is if you are causing insane amounts of vibration.

Okay. The thing said even little vibrations will do it.

Believed it for a second :D

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

1 minute ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Okay. The thing said even little vibrations will do it.

Believed it for a second :D

Almost every case in production at this point has things to reduce vibrations, sounds like a troll. You'd see more wear and tear if you had it sitting on a desk powered on.

8 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

if that's the case, then a pc owner who plays a death metal & screamo music at high volume everyday would be changing his HDD every two months.

Shouting at your hard-drives is not recommended. This should not cause long term damage, but may result in slight increase in latency during the excessive vibration. This is not really an issue outside of fire-alarm tests near file-servers.

1 hour ago, Aleksbgbg said:

If your screams were sexy as hell then that would probably get the HDD harder.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

51 minutes ago, frunze said:

if that's the case, then a pc owner who plays a death metal & screamo music at high volume everyday would be changing his HDD every two months.

You must be invited at parties all the time.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

3 hours ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Whoever told you that is just plain wrong, and I hope they're trolling you. Screaming at it will not affect performance in any way. You might hurt its self esteem, but it'll be fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

17 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Shouting at your hard-drives is not recommended. This should not cause long term damage, but may result in slight increase in latency during the excessive vibration. This is not really an issue outside of fire-alarm tests near file-servers.

Watching that guy shout into a 24-drive disk cage was probably the most enjoyable thing I've done all day xD

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/22/2016 at 5:34 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

Whoever told you that is just plain wrong, and I hope they're trolling you. Screaming at it will not affect performance in any way. You might hurt its self esteem, but it'll be fine.

Careful with your broad strokes there, Mod..... high performance drives can be affected by the slightest abnormalities in a datacenter. when a high performance array is busy moving data at high speeds even a shout is enough to cause a read error. no, you won't lose data, no it won't break the disk, but when you're watching a performance graph, you can see R/W errors occurring...

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all