Budget pc build

Deadeye91
Just now, stconquest said:

A quick search revealed the possibility this has a 600W PSU... add in a GTX 1060 for around $300 and you have a decent gaming PC.

8 Cores:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-Z600-Workstation-Xeon-2X-E5640-2-67GHZ-16GB-1TB-Quadro-2000-/152245392772?hash=item2372885584:g:i4MAAOSwzaJX3Xef

not bad at all, these workstations were given big psu's so the could run high end video cards for cad and the like, but the second cpu wont help much in game(unless you turn of HT) since games won't use 16 threads 

1 minute ago, hoodyracoon said:

not bad at all, these workstations were given big psu's so the could run high end video cards for cad and the like, but the second cpu wont help much in game(unless you turn of HT) since games won't use 16 threads 

The shipping of the unit scares me a bit.

Just now, stconquest said:

yeah did look at that, if you look at t3500 alot have free shipping

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

it's ebay you have to hunt around, and sort by price + shipping, for the t3500 i was including that in my 120$

Just now, hoodyracoon said:

it's ebay you have to hunt around, and sort by price + shipping, for the t3500 i was including that in my 120$

I see the value in these options.  The buyer here has to see it though, not me.  ;)

6 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I see the value in these options.  The buyer here has to see it though, not me.  ;)

i understand, i just like to put it out there, most people either think a 5 year old computer can't run new games(intel, if your on that old of a amd good luck) or has just never thought of it before, while i understand the feeling of building one with new high end parts it's not really needed for games at the moment(gpu's don't last as long though and prices don't change enough to make them a good deal used online, find a good deal on craigslist and maybe you have something, ebay not so much),

till pcie 4.0, breaks the over 10 year compatibility we've had for gpu's, man i hope there are 3.0 to 4.0 pcie risers 

10 minutes ago, stconquest said:

also since these are oem units they come with win 7 keys either on the case or at least in the slick of the bios, and it's not hard to call up Microsoft for a free upgrade to 10 by saying it's your mom or grandmas computer and they use assistive tech like voice over because they are losing there sight, done this for 3 friends and it's work ever time so far, till they stop doing upgrades for people with disability's 

9 hours ago, hoodyracoon said:

i just dont see the hate on old workstation hardware, cpu's(speed) have long since not been the bottleneck for most AAA game(within reason, q6600 are to old for example), the ones left are are mostly the GPU, RAM, and CPU thread count. going for old hardware would give you the threads necessary to run most games while also giving you an entire pc(no gpu) that costs less then a cpu actually needed to run real CPU intensive games. my current "gaming" pc subsists of a t3500, and a w3550 with 8GB ram and a included 525W power supply for a total platform cost of around 120$ US, or 150$ CAD, and a gtx 970. if the gpu is replaced you can easily get a gpu that can do high-max setting at 1080P 60 fps with the rest of the budget.

for example of the performance i get,

Overwatch-80-120 FPS MAX Settings 1080P

BF1 Beta-75-100 FPS Max Settings 1080P(i think it was acting buggy not applying my AA setting when i tested that, so that might be the FPS for Ultra with no AA)

DOOM 55-80 FPS MAX settings(mostly hovered at 65 FPS rare dips below 60)

this will all be pointless in 2.5-4 years when pcie 4.0 comes out since it wont work in pcie 3.0 slots, but i don't see why buying a old pc off ebay wouldn't be a option since it can basically be used as a hold over for better parts when you get the money  

The reason why I didn't suggest something like that is because of upgradability. What I imagined was a build that with only a couple of parts upgraded can be turned into a beast. On the other hand an old workstation has to be pretty much entirely replaced. But if he doesn't mind buying a dirt cheap old workstation and then replacing it in a couple of years with a proper pc it's more than a viable option (in fact since the workstation is so cheap it wouldn't be hard collecting the rest of the money needed). Also unlike the non dedicated GPU option he gets to play games right away.  It's just that more time will pass until he can get the modern pc (of course, as mentioned, in return the pc can be used for gaming in the meantime).

That workstation @stconquest linked looked pretty sweet .  :x

EDIT: I didn't notice there was a second page so the above comment is way behind the actual conversation. 

I think what I am going to do is buy parts bit by bit over the next month. Buy things that are on for a great price. that way I can get a great pc that I wont have to upgrade for a while and still not spend a fortune on a good pc

4 minutes ago, Deadeye91 said:

I think what I am going to do is buy parts bit by bit over the next month. Buy things that are on for a great price. that way I can get a great pc that I wont have to upgrade for a while and still not spend a fortune on a good pc

With my recommended build, you have a functional PC until you can afford a discrete GPU.

$500 + tax though, $565.

10 minutes ago, Deadeye91 said:

that's not too bad. sucks the cad $$ is so bad rn

I am looking at parts again to see any price changes... the case got $10 more expensive.  :|

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-cx-series-cx450m-450w-64-125717.htm?affiliateid=7474144

The Corsair CX450M is $63 with $20 rebate at NCIX.  So that is $71 after taxes and $51 after the rebate.  Funny enough, I just picked up the Corsair CX550M at NCIX yesterday.  Came out to $84 and I have the $20 rebate to send in.  $64 is not a bad deal.