10tb or Two 6tb

Joe11221

So, I need to upgrade my storage and am thinking of building a NAS. I was wondering if I should go with two 6TB X300 Toshiba HDD's or 1 10TB Ironwolf by Seagate. The two 6TB drives are cheaper then the IronWolf, and I can always use one as a backup, but it would be super badass to have a 10tb disk and will allow for later expansion. Remember, speed isn't an issue because it's being transferred over 1gb ethernet. What do you think I should get?

Just now, AresKrieger said:

imo 2 drive is better than one so long as you have available ports, though I don't know how the drive's quality compares

hmmm. Explain why you think they're better

If your gonna use the xtra 2gb get the 2x6gb if not go for the ballin 10tb drive :) 

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

If your building a NAS then even with 2 6tb drives you have plenty of room to upgrade/expand in the future. 

I'd take two 6tb drives over a single 10th drive anyday since you can/should run some form of redundancy if you care about your data. Although I would personally go with drives designed for a NAS environment (like WD Reds -- TLER is very important for any form of RAID, and I don't know if those drives support TLER OR if they are designed for 24/7 use). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Do you need 10TB? For a NAS, I would really advise having some form of RAID or at least a backup to ensure you don't lose data. It's going to cost a lot more to create a RAID or effective backup solution for a 10TB drive, even if you're not using all 10TB.

Just now, RS2007GOD said:

If your gonna use the xtra 2gb get the 2x6gb if not go for the ballin 10tb drive :) 

lol, TB* those 12gb wont do me any good :P

2 minutes ago, Joe11221 said:

hmmm. Explain why you think they're better

More options, you can use one for a certain set of files, as a backup, or in raid where as the one drive's only advantage in this case is it takes less space (assuming quality is comparable), and you get 2 extra TB with the 2x6

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I guess I'm going with the two 6TB's

Thanks for your opinion everyone!

Now to build a NAS...

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If your building a NAS then even with 2 6tb drives you have plenty of room to upgrade/expand in the future. 

I'd take two 6tb drives over a single 10th drive anyday since you can/should run some form of redundancy if you care about your data. Although I would personally go with drives designed for a NAS environment (like WD Reds -- TLER is very important for any form of RAID, and I don't know if those drives support TLER OR if they are designed for 24/7 use). 

Well, I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be using them 24/7 as I still have school and won't be using it that much. 

7 minutes ago, Joe11221 said:

So, I need to upgrade my storage and am thinking of building a NAS. I was wondering if I should go with two 6TB X300 Toshiba HDD's or 1 10TB Ironwolf by Seagate. The two 6TB drives are cheaper then the IronWolf, and I can always use one as a backup, but it would be super badass to have a 10tb disk and will allow for later expansion. Remember, speed isn't an issue because it's being transferred over 1gb ethernet. What do you think I should get?

Maybe 3 6tb drives in raid 5?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, bgibbz said:

Maybe 3 6tb drives in raid 5?

Well, an ideal solution would not to have it in Raid 5 but rather have an external drive so the second one will have a much longer lifespan and is less likely to fail.

With drives that damn big, raid 5 is asking for complete failures as a resilvering of a new drive is a HIGHLY intensive process. If one failed, chances are high another is right behind it. Raid 5 only allows for a single disk failure before you are one drive away from complete data loss.

hell no. RAID 5 is NO GOOD.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

With drives that damn big, raid 5 is asking for complete failures as a resilvering of a new drive is a HIGHLY intensive process. If one failed, chances are high another is right behind it. Raid 5 only allows for a single disk failure before you are one drive away from complete data loss.

What I was thinking exactly

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

The 'guaranteed' failure rate with large drives in Raid 5 is based on worse case figures provided by the manufacturer (where in reality, surprisingly, the failure rate is orders of magnitudes lower). With that said, I would still personally err on the side of caution and assume worst case scenarios (which is why I would go RAID 6). 

6 minutes ago, Joe11221 said:

Well, an ideal solution would not to have it in Raid 5 but rather have an external drive so the second one will have a much longer lifespan and is less likely to fail.

ummmm..... that sounds more like the occasional backup (which isn't the same as redundancy), which you would want anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Even RAID1 is no good if you're looking to use one drive less than another. what it sounds like you need is some sort of periodical backup scheduler. a backup to a backup... which is kinda silly unless it's off site.

honestly NAS drives like the Seagate IronWolf or WD Reds are designed for 24/7 operation. If you build your NAS around the idea that you will experience simultaneous multiple drive failures you are already WAY ahead of the class.

RAID6 with a ready spare hooked up and ready to dance is what you want. It is not inexpensive, but precious data is priceless. I know i'd fall into a deep depression if i found out my por-i mean photo collection suddenly disappeared because i failed to predict the now modern high likelyhood of multiple drive failures.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

that's not how RAID0 works...

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

that's not how RAID0 works...

You'd have to be a moron to put (your only) two drives in RAID 0 in a NAS. If for whatever reason RAID wasn't an affordable option, then you would just do JBOD.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You'd have to be a moron to put (your only) two drives in RAID 0 in a NAS.

agree 100% unless performance is the name of the game, and not data.

System specs:

41 minutes ago, RS2007GOD said:

where would he get the xtra 2gb?

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3