Wooden Compact Full ATX Rig VIDEO LOGS

Sprcket

So I've started with the idea of making a compact, sturdy, and relatively easy to use and maintain rig.  I ended up with a pretty badarse looking pc, which while not being as sturdy as I would've wanted, it'll hold in my 70 liter backpack (while only taking up half of it!) along with some peripherals and a couple of small monitors.

WARNING. I SWEAR A LOT.

For Part 1 skip to about 6:16 for the beginning of the build.

QUESTION 1: Won't wood affect thermals? No. Not in any significant way, at least not in the way I have designed the case with my specific components.

QUESTION 2: Won't wood bend as time goes on? Probably not. Plywood usually sits in stores for a while. Will update if I notice any significant issues.

QUESTION 3: Wouldn't metal be more effective in a small form factor build? It would be. Unfortunately, metal is a lot harder to work with and you risk shorting out your components if you don't get the measurements right.

QUESTION 4: What't the weight compared to an aluminium case? The case by itself, with no components attached is roughly 800 grams lighter compared to a standard case. However, this case can only mount 2 hard drives.

QUESTION 5: What's the cost for the material? I paid $10 for 4 square meters of plywood, of which I used about 2 square meters. So technically, 5 bucks, practically, 10.

QUESTION 6: How much time did it take? It took ME about 3 days, because I'm an idiot and did a lot of mistakes (also, didn't have plans) and also recorded it. If you make some plans before hand I reckon you'd make it in about 1 day of vigorous cutting and gluing.

QUESTION 7: What thickness of plywood have you used?  I used 4 mm because it was the cheapest. However, you might want to use higher-density but thinner plywood. It might be a bit more expensive, but might also be worth it.

QUESTION 8: is it better to use 4mm or 10mm plywood?

4mm Plywood: 

Pros: -Thinner, better for compact cases. - Easier to drill holes through. - Easier to cut through.  -Can make more detailed art.

Cons: -You HAVE to use spacers with your screws. You can't countersink screws, so they will stick out of the case. 

Depends: -If you need more strength, you can glue (or screw) together two pieces of plywood to make an 8mm thick piece. It gives you flexibility, but also takes away some time.

10mm Plywood:

Pros: -Much sturdier, if you're making a large stylized server or something. -Can be used as standalone art piece with some wood lacker, no need for paint if you're precise with your cuts. You CAN countersink screws, so if you cover it in Tolex or something like I did, it will look MUCH smoother.

Cons: -Harder to work with. -Hard to make precise, detailed art with.(INCLUDING FAN MOUNTS AND EXHAUST!) -Hard to mount I/O like USB ports and such. 

Depends:- You can confidently go with larger cases, allowing for sound-proofing materials to be installed on the insides.

Post more questions and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.

Just as a disclaimer, I don't do YouTube full time.

5 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Question 4: What's the weight compared to an aluminium case?

Question 5: What's the cost for the material?

Question 6: How much time did it take?

Added questions to original post :)

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

It seems like this is the best way to go, and put $50 into other parts instead of the case. 

Hmm. True, as long as you have ALL the required tools. You need a jigsaw(or something to cut wood, normal saw works), screwdrivers, dremel(not necessary, but much easier) a bunch of screws and a few buttons. You can scavenge for spare screws and buttons/switches from old stuff though.

However, if you don't have the tools OR you are afraid to use them: 

1)buy tools and have them for the next 10 years

2)get someone else to do it and teach you how to use the tools

3)buy a cheap case

This thread is turning into a tutorial, but if you look at the videos I am seriously not someone you'd ask for advice xD

Idea is really cool but the way it is done... precision... *plays macintosh plus*

2 hours ago, NaLu said:

Idea is really cool but the way it is done... precision... *plays macintosh plus*

It looks a lot more finished after I put Tolex(leathery matherial) on it. You can see it finished in the intro of the video, since I filmed the intros after I finished the PC. I'm editing the Part 3 now, which includes the paintwork and texturing ;p

11 hours ago, KnightWumar said:

What is the thickness of the plywood ?

I used 4 mm because it was the cheapest. However, you might want to use higher-density but thinner plywood. It might be a bit more expensive, but might also be worth it.

11 hours ago, Sprcket said:

I used 4 mm because it was the cheapest. However, you might want to use higher-density but thinner plywood. It might be a bit more expensive, but might also be worth it.

thanks, but which is better ? 4 mm higher density or just thicker like 1cm for stability ?

27 minutes ago, KnightWumar said:

thanks, but which is better ? 4 mm higher density or just thicker like 1cm for stability ?

I haven't tried two, and there are downsides and upsides for both. I'll try to list some of them.

4mm Plywood: 

Pros: -Thinner, better for compact cases. - Easier to drill holes through. - Easier to cut through.  -Can make more detailed art.

Cons: -You HAVE to use spacers with your screws. You can't countersink screws, so they will stick out of the case. 

Depends: -If you need more strength, you can glue (or screw) together two pieces of plywood to make an 8mm thick piece. It gives you flexibility, but also takes away some time.

10mm Plywood:

Pros: -Much sturdier, if you're making a large stylized server or something. -Can be used as standalone art piece with some wood lacker, no need for paint if you're precise with your cuts. You CAN countersink screws, so if you cover it in Tolex or something like I did, it will look MUCH smoother.

Cons: -Harder to work with. -Hard to make precise, detailed art with.(INCLUDING FAN MOUNTS AND EXHAUST!) -Hard to mount I/O like USB ports and such. 

Depends:- You can confidently go with larger cases, allowing for sound-proofing materials to be installed on the insides.