RAM Help

freek_

I have a "Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3", which allows for RAM Speeds up to 2133 and higher in OC mode.

I also have "Patriot  "Viper 4" KIT 16GB"@3000MHz.

Sadly the Motherboard does not support this ram with it's XMP Profiles.

Should I even bother making a XMP Profile for my RAM for the extra ~800MHz, will it make a huge difference?

depends what you're going to be using it for. assuming it's for gaming, it's not really worth it (it might even degrade performance)

4k the dream

2133MHz is simply the JEDEC standard. The motherboard supports up to 3200MHz...

1 minute ago, Doh007 said:

depends what you're going to be using it for. assuming it's for gaming, it's not really worth it (it might even degrade performance)

You're not going to see a loss in performance in faster RAM. In fact, it's the opposite. It'll provide a nice little boost in CPU intensive games in the form of minimum and average framerates.

Before you quote me with Linus' video, I can tell you that the testing methodology was flawed and that he's wrong.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

31 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

2133MHz is simply the JEDEC standard. The motherboard supports up to 3200MHz...

You're not going to see a loss in performance in faster RAM. In fact, it's the opposite. It'll provide a nice little boost in CPU intensive games in the form of minimum and average framerates.

Before you quote me with Linus' video, I can tell you that the testing methodology was flawed and that he's wrong.

how much of an improvement are we talking about here?

1 minute ago, freek_ said:

how much of an improvement are we talking about here?

Varies amongst games. It also depends on your setup.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Varies amongst games. It also depends on your setup.

6700k, 1060gtx , 500gb samsung ssd

38 minutes ago, freek_ said:

Sadly the Motherboard does not support this ram with it's XMP Profiles.

How so? Is the XMP option greyed out or something? Because that should not be the case, and there's probably something wrong.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

How so? Is the XMP option greyed out or something? Because that should not be the case, and there's probably something wrong.

Looked up the supported RAM in the MB XMP spreadsheet.

Just now, freek_ said:

Looked up the supported RAM in the MB XMP spreadsheet.

Oh. Ignore that. Just go into the BIOS and enable XMP. There, problem solved (assuming your CPU can handle it).

Before you do, though, make sure you are using the latest BIOS. Early versions tend to be rather problematic on Skylake.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Oh. Ignore that. Just go into the BIOS and enable XMP. There, problem solved (assuming your CPU can handle it).

Before you do, though, make sure you are using the latest BIOS. Early versions tend to be rather problematic on Skylake.

Alright will do , cheers!

7 minutes ago, freek_ said:

6700k, 1060gtx , 500gb samsung ssd

Compared to 2133MHz RAM? I can't tell you exactly but maybe a 5-10FPS difference when we compare minimum framerates. You'll have to see for yourself.

Spoiler