Monitor cutting in and out

fnavy88

I am using a COBY TV as a second monitor. I recently installed a GTX 1070 and used the HDMI to go to my 1080p. I used a display port to HDMI adapter to go to my 720p tv. It worked fine for a 2 weeks. Now the TV is cutting out occasionally and showing "no signal". I unplug and replug the cable to the TV and it works again. Then after a random amount of time it cuts out again. Any theories?

6 minutes ago, fnavy88 said:

I am using a COBY TV as a second monitor. I recently installed a GTX 1070 and used the HDMI to go to my 1080p. I used a display port to HDMI adapter to go to my 720p tv. It worked fine for a 2 weeks. Now the TV is cutting out occasionally and showing "no signal". I unplug and replug the cable to the TV and it works again. Then after a random amount of time it cuts out again. Any theories?

You can get an hdmi cable off of amazon for $6 to test if it's the connection. Otherwise it's one of your devices.

23 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

You can get an hdmi cable off of amazon for $6 to test if it's the connection. Otherwise it's one of your devices.

The HDMI is not going to the TV the Display Port to HDMI is.

Just now, fnavy88 said:

The HDMI is not going to the TV the Display Port to HDMI is.

Yeah. I was saying to try using a straight HDMI cable instead to make sure it's not a cable converter problem. That's how I'd start debugging it.

10 hours ago, MaxBunny said:

Yeah. I was saying to try using a straight HDMI cable instead to make sure it's not a cable converter problem. That's how I'd start debugging it.

Agreed. The message is getting lost between the GPU output and the TVs input. Try without an adapter (this rules out adapter hardware). If you're still having issues, then switch cables. The cable is probably going bad. Do you remember the make of the cable?

Do you have a DisplayPort cable? If so, send that to your monitor (assuming you have DisplayPort on your monitor), that frees HDMI for the TV.

It's most likely a "bad" HDMI cable or adapter, or the TV's HDMI input is flaky.

I have a Blu-Ray player that occasionally loses contact with the TV no matter what cable I use. It just seems to have a flaky HDMI output. :)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD