NEED HELP ON GROUNDING WHEN TOUCHING PC PARTS

zenkendachi

Hello

I have read on numerous websites saying to buy wristband and ESD mat. But I am wondering if there is a simple way that is super accesible for everyone to grounding..

To put it short, I want to know a fast and simple way to ground myself without buying anything fancy if ITS POSSIBLE.

I have heard of the metal case. But how does it work?

Thanks

Just touch the metal parts of the case.
As simple as that

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

plug your psu into a grounded outlet but don't turn it on. just touch it from time to time and you should be fine

Just touch a plugged in unpowered PSU , the metal shell should discharge all the accumulated static charge in your body

Details separate people.

Its really not a big thing to worry about if you are building it on a table. As people have said, plug in the PSU and connect the AC cable (means its grounded) and touch it every so often. Just dont do anything silly like rub your socks on a thick carpet and you're fine.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

1 minute ago, zenkendachi said:

Hello

I have read on numerous websites saying to buy wristband and ESD mat. But I am wondering if there is a simple way that is super accesible for everyone to grounding..

To put it short, I want to know a fast and simple way to ground myself without buying anything fancy if ITS POSSIBLE.

I have heard of the metal case. But how does it work?

Thanks

The power supply of your desktop is the best thing out there to use as your static discharge device. It is specifically designed for things like that, so basically when you want to touch a just give your power supply a quick magic genie rub.

Just now, Alexzz_ said:

plug your psu into a grounded outlet but don't turn it on. just touch it from time to time and you should be fine

or you could touch a large metal object like your fridge or some other grounded objects

3 minutes ago, zenkendachi said:

But how does it work?

Grounding is simply normalizing the electric charge of your body as to not cause static discharge, by touching a large metal object (in this case a case) or a grounded object (grounded psu) you cause the charge to equalize thus nullifying the issue

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

touch the metal case, touch the power supply,
but most importantly make sure youre not wearing any clothes when building the pc. sometimes it can generate static

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

touch the metal case, touch the power supply,
but most importantly make sure youre not wearing any clothes when building the pc. sometimes it can generate static

Walter White up in this bitch, Tighty Whiteies only.

Okay thanks guys for helping.

There is one thing I am not clear yet tho.

Currently my PC is plugged in to a surge protector, with only one switch but I have 5 plug holes.

The question is:

How to switch the PSU off? I am using a prebuilt PC and I cant see to find it on the surface I am looking at.

So heres the thing.

I turn my pc off. Leave the power cable on and the switch on. And just I can discharge?

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am a newbie here.

2 minutes ago, mok said:

2nd.gif

Details separate people.

I was like that when I first started, Now I just touch the bottom pipes of a radiator occasionally and touch the case more often

4 minutes ago, zenkendachi said:

Okay thanks guys for helping.

There is one thing I am not clear yet tho.

Currently my PC is plugged in to a surge protector, with only one switch but I have 5 plug holes.

The question is:

How to switch the PSU off? I am using a prebuilt PC and I cant see to find it on the surface I am looking at.

So heres the thing.

I turn my pc off. Leave the power cable on and the switch on. And just I can discharge?

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am a newbie here.

That is fine, just make sure your machine is not turned on. So what I would do in your case is unplug the 20 or 24 pin from the motherboard (AFTER you touch your psu) and then just touch your PSU as you work and you should be fine. Static discharge is a problem to be aware of, but not something that you have to stress about too much. Touching that PSU will keep you just fine, also if you can work on a desk, if you can't then use a cardboard box or something along those lines.