Microphone for dslr steadicam use

Go to solution Solved by ALwin,
1 minute ago, shaunphoto said:

Unfortunately its a one man operation most of time. So you think the rvmp will do?

I think it should.

Hi,

I'm busy looking for a microphone for which I can use while I use my glidecam. It needs to have a 3.5mm jack and not a xlr port. My budget is around £120-180ish. I have been looking at the rvmp but heard some bad reviews about them, and looked at the azden smx-30 but it it too expensive and seems overkill. What mic is best to get?

Thanks

Nikon D3! Case: Corsair c400 Mobo: Asrock z77 Extreme4 CPU: Core I5 3570k 3.4ghz GPU: MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M CPU cooler: Antec Kulher H2O 620 RAM: Corsair Vengence 16gb (4x4gb) Hard drives: Corsair force Series 3 240gb, WD Black 500gb and 2 Seagate 320gb Screens: Asus PB27Q and Lg W2261vp Sound: Mayflower O2 objective + dac, Audio Technica AD700x Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 3.5g Tablet: Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition  

5 minutes ago, shaunphoto said:

snip

Rode mics various models of camera mounted videomics, they are very good.

Nikon has their ME-1.

Sennheiser makes one, don't remember the model.

Shure also.

What bad reviews have you read about the Rode VideoMic Pro?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

Rode mics various models of camera mounted videomics, they are very good.

Nikon has their ME-1.

Sennheiser makes one, don't remember the model.

Shure also.

What bad reviews have you read about the Rode VideoMic Pro?

Mainly that peaks too often and the 'hiss' is bad. And it doesn't like some wifi signals, not too sure about the last though/

Nikon D3! Case: Corsair c400 Mobo: Asrock z77 Extreme4 CPU: Core I5 3570k 3.4ghz GPU: MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M CPU cooler: Antec Kulher H2O 620 RAM: Corsair Vengence 16gb (4x4gb) Hard drives: Corsair force Series 3 240gb, WD Black 500gb and 2 Seagate 320gb Screens: Asus PB27Q and Lg W2261vp Sound: Mayflower O2 objective + dac, Audio Technica AD700x Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 3.5g Tablet: Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition  

Just now, shaunphoto said:

Mainly that peaks too often and the 'hiss' is bad. And it doesn't like some wifi signals, not too sure about the last though/

Well the problem with peaking and hissing depends on how the audio is set up in the camera.  Not sure if wireless signals should interfere with the mic.

I'm not sure if I would mount th can mic on a camera if I'm using a steadicam. I'd get a boom operator.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

5 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Well the problem with peaking and hissing depends on how the audio is set up in the camera.  Not sure if wireless signals should interfere with the mic.

I'm not sure if I would mount th can mic on a camera if I'm using a steadicam. I'd get a boom operator.

Unfortunately its a one man operation most of time. So you think the rvmp will do?

1 minute ago, shaunphoto said:

I think it should.