first build planing

frankinmountin

so building on a budget done a bit of research and have put together a list but i need some one with a bit of know how to check things over as im sure my lack of know how has lead to a mistake or two here.

i want a basic gaming pc for 1080p gaming. games  play most are: ark, skyrim, fallout, lol. 

60fps on mid settings would be great. also as low maintenance as possible. 

im happy with my peripherals. 

first things first im reusing my current cpu with is a   i7 4770  3.40G, and my hdd: 2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166

things im buying

mb:  Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £70

ram:  Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory £41

gpu:  Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card £240

case:  Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case £41.50

psu:  Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £43

Parts picker link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/stPQZ8

things im missing/ might need cpu cooler, other fans, ssd

this comes in at £480 i want to keep things sub £500 if possible. 

so how viable is this rig so far. what would you change if anything

thanks for healping

Edited by frankinmountin
link fix

Just now, frankinmountin said:

snip

You need to link the permalink. copying the URL just takes us to the site when we click that link.

5 minutes ago, frankinmountin said:

opps thanks fixed 

You could probably get a cheaper motherboard as well. it doesn't make a lot of sense to get a Z series board if you don't have a K series CPU.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pLNwgL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pLNwgL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£52.87 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  (£41.62 @ More Computers) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£57.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC Video Card  (£227.89 @ More Computers) 
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£41.51 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£44.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM 64-bit  (£44.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £510.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 00:36 BST+0100

Went a tad bit over, go down to a 120GB SSD if you want

The GTX 1060 will make all the difference here. I chose a 6GB model for future-proofness.

Got a really cheap mobo but it won't hurt performance at all, maybe just looks :P (then again, you don't have a window anyways)

Got a better PSU, not modular though

I would get a different case but that's all personal choice

Also you're probably better off getting windows from /r/microsoftsoftwareswap

Edit: any CPU cooler? I assume (hope) yes. If not add a Cryorig H7

32 minutes ago, frankinmountin said:

so building on a budget done a bit of research and have put together a list but i need some one with a bit of know how to check things over as im sure my lack of know how has lead to a mistake or two here.

i want a basic gaming pc for 1080p gaming. games  play most are: ark, skyrim, fallout, lol. 

60fps on mid settings would be great. also as low maintenance as possible. 

im happy with my peripherals. 

first things first im reusing my current cpu with is a   i7 4770  3.40G, and my hdd: 2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166

things im buying

mb:  Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £70

ram:  Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory £41

gpu:  Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card £240

case:  Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case £41.50

psu:  Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £43

Parts picker link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/stPQZ8

things im missing/ might need cpu cooler, other fans, ssd

this comes in at £480 i want to keep things sub £500 if possible. 

so how viable is this rig so far. what would you change if anything

thanks for healping

get windows ten unless you absolutely insist on windows 8.1. also, if you are doing 1080p gaming, dont get the 8gb card

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

wow didn't expect this fast of a response. didnt even have chance to make the changes zyndo suggested before cdsboy2000 commented.

i can stretch to the £510 mark. i have a cpu cooler that come with the pc i have but i dont think its very good there are know makings to tell me make or model  so i should really grab a cpu cooler to. 

hows this look 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QcDshq

7 minutes ago, frankinmountin said:

wow didn't expect this fast of a response. didnt even have chance to make the changes zyndo suggested before cdsboy2000 commented.

i can stretch to the £510 mark. i have a cpu cooler that come with the pc i have but i dont think its very good there are know makings to tell me make or model  so i should really grab a cpu cooler to. 

hows this look 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QcDshq

the H7 is a pretty beastly CPU cooler. You don't need to spend that much on your cooler for a locked chip. however if you don't mind spending that much because of the aesthetic or you want really quiet operation or whatever then its an excellent choice. but you could probably spend about 20 bucks on a CPU cooler and get this one instead and it would still be plenty good: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/LPVBD3/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9i

Other than that the build is looking pretty great.

Use the SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB version for your SSD. Low cost with good performance.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

14 minutes ago, frankinmountin said:

Snip

Looks great. the only gripe I could really make now would be case and PSU. case for personal reasons and PSU for quality reasons. But both should be plenty fine for your needs and your budget. the only way to really improve them would be to increase the budget and that just isn't necessary.

oh and ofc windows 10... but i assume you're doing 8 for some reason of your own.