6700k, or wait? New pc build

JJS76

I was thinking about building my first pc, and was wonder if I should start now with an i7 6700k, or wait a few more months for Kaby lake and Zen. I would love to have a new pc, but if I wait longer I could save some more money for the pc overall. Thus a better graphics card.  Any suggestions? 

By the way, I do some video editing, but mostly gaming. Love total war, which is pretty heavy on cpu usage.

I would wait, but if you really want to buy it now, then don't worry. Skylake will remain relevant for many years. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

7 minutes ago, JJS76 said:

I was thinking about building my first pc, and was wonder if I should start now with an i7 6700k, or wait a few more months for Kaby lake and Zen. I would love to have a new pc, but if I wait longer I could save some more money for the pc overall. Thus a better graphics card.  Any suggestions? 

By the way, I do some video editing, but mostly gaming. Love total war, which is pretty heavy on cpu usage.

If you are not in a hurry... Then I would suggest waiting for kaby lake and Zen because Zen is said to have great performance over 6800K and kaby lake is said to be more efficient...So waiting may be your best choice.. 

5 minutes ago, JJS76 said:

or wait a few more months for Kaby lake and Zen

Are you sure you want to wait almost half a year (Feb 2017) for a processor that will just be the current gen with better clocks and a processor that most likely will be as strong Haswell / Broadwell (aka weaker than Skylake)?

Frankly, if you CAN get a 6700k now, then you are set. If you'd like to wait and save money for a better GPU, you can do that regardless of getting the 6700k now or not, the iGPU can get you by in the mean time.

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

waiting is always worth

I'm still salty that I waited for Broadwell rather than buying Haswell and got trolled hard by intel...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Thanks to everyone, I am defiantly going to wait a few more months. Hopefully the new cpus will be released soon.

Just now, JJS76 said:

Thanks to everyone, I am defiantly going to wait a few more months. Hopefully the new cpus will be released soon.

Yes......You should defiantly wait

How long can you w8. thats the question you want to answer first.  now you can w8 for another 3 year and by then the cpu will be super powerful. and you will have saved sooo much for a top of the line GPU. Any investment in electronic market will seem to be unjustified since the new product comes out frequently and make ur purchase 'old'.

the kaby lake and zen is likely to be out in early 2017, so theres probly 4 month w8ting. And kaby lake from what i heard wont be a huge improvement from skylake, and zen maybe cheaper in price but performance wise is all still speculation. I would suggest buy 6700k now, and maybe w8 for black friday/ boxing day sale, but not w8 for new product to release for the sake of performance improvement.

20 hours ago, Devin92 said:

How long can you w8. thats the question you want to answer first.  now you can w8 for another 3 year and by then the cpu will be super powerful. and you will have saved sooo much for a top of the line GPU. Any investment in electronic market will seem to be unjustified since the new product comes out frequently and make ur purchase 'old'.

the kaby lake and zen is likely to be out in early 2017, so theres probly 4 month w8ting. And kaby lake from what i heard wont be a huge improvement from skylake, and zen maybe cheaper in price but performance wise is all still speculation. I would suggest buy 6700k now, and maybe w8 for black friday/ boxing day sale, but not w8 for new product to release for the sake of performance improvement.

I get that technology is forever improving, and there will always be something new on the horizon. Yeah I get that eventually I will need to suck it up and buy some parts. But right now it makes more sense to wait. I am currently in college, so money is pretty tight. Waiting until Kaby or Zen is my best option not only due to better performance, but also for my current financial situation. So lose the sass, we're not all made of money. I really want to build a pc, but I want to do it right, not some half-assed attempt, which results in a need for an upgrade in a year or less. 

6 minutes ago, JJS76 said:

I get that technology is forever improving, and there will always be something new on the horizon. Yeah I get that eventually I will need to suck it up and buy some parts. But right now it makes more sense to wait. I am currently in college, so money is pretty tight. Waiting until Kaby or Zen is my best option not only due to better performance, but also for my current financial situation. So lose the sass, we're not all made of money. I really want to build a pc, but I want to do it right, not some half-assed attempt, which results in a need for an upgrade in a year or less. 

a 6700k will last you for 4-5 yrs with no problem. a lot of ppl are still using i7 2000 series and are not seeing major cpu bottlenecks, especially when you are mainly using it for gaming. the reason I say not w8ing for new tech to come out is becuz theres no official statement regarding the release date. there are rumors about a year end release of kaby lake with 10% improvment, but salt is added to rumors as always. And Zen is 80-90% likely to be 2017 first quarter.

of course, if you dont have enough money to buy the parts you want now, then saving up is the option to go with. but it wont be like kaby is super powerful than skylake and make ur 6700k investment "half assed attempt", i can guarantee that.