970?

Go to solution Solved by SpaceGhostC2C,
6 minutes ago, RiverManito said:

I'm building a pc, and I'm wondering which gpu should I buy. 

Im aware of the card that are currently available, but because of the inflation, a single 1060 is about 350€.

I was offered a brand new 970 that fully works for about 200€, but I think I can negotiate it to less than that.

About the same price, I can buy the 960 (200) and the RX 470 (220). 

The total cost will be around 710€, assuming that I can get the 970 for around 180€, including an Asus Z170-P, and i5 6500, Cooler Master TX3, 16GB of DDR4 (Can't change this, need that amount of ram), a 128GB SSD (I already have a 1TB hard drive), a case, and the Corsair VS 650W power supply.

My target was to get a nice PC, that could last for 3 or 4 years, for around 700€.

Now I still have some questions.

-- Is still worth to buy a 970(for that price)?

-- May I wait until the new amd cpu's come out?

I will totally thank if anyone can tell me if I should change any of my components.

Greetings

970 below 200 EUR is fine, if new, with warranty, etc. Less and less so everyday, though. The card is good but new releases make it cheaper.

If you go with a Z board and an aftermarket cooler anyway, consider getting the K version of the CPU (so i5-6600K) to possibly overclock it at some point, unless the difference between K and non-K really harms your budget. You may still get the Z board if it has some advantage for you compare to H chipsets, otherwise you can cut costs by going with an H or B board, and perhaps also dropping the cooler (although that one should be quieter than the stock cooler). You won't need a 650W PSU, so consider 500-550W good quality models (a lot of info on PSUs here, and I'm no expert. Although I don't particularly trust Corsair, but all PSUs are manufactured by someone else anyway).

You may wait for Zen CPUs before making a move, but in that case don't get the GPU now either. You'll get a better card for the money, or the same card cheaper, when the time comes. I have made "partial builds" in the past for different reasons, but unless you get some obvious deal not too far away from build time, it's typically best to get everything when build time comes.

Im aware of the card that are currently available, but because of the inflation, a single 1060 is about 350€.

I was offered a brand new 970 that fully works for about 200€, but I think I can negotiate it to less than that.

The total cost will be around 710€, assuming that I can get the 970 for around 180€, including an Asus Z170-P, and i5 6500, Cooler Master TX3, 16GB of DDR4 (Can't change this, need that amount of ram), a 128GB SSD (I already have a 1TB hard drive), a case, and the Corsair VS 650W power supply.

My target was to get a nice PC, that could last for 3 or 4 years, for around 700€.

I will totally thank if anyone can tell me if I should change any of my components.

Greetings

6 minutes ago, RiverManito said:

Greetings

970 below 200 EUR is fine, if new, with warranty, etc. Less and less so everyday, though. The card is good but new releases make it cheaper.

If you go with a Z board and an aftermarket cooler anyway, consider getting the K version of the CPU (so i5-6600K) to possibly overclock it at some point, unless the difference between K and non-K really harms your budget. You may still get the Z board if it has some advantage for you compare to H chipsets, otherwise you can cut costs by going with an H or B board, and perhaps also dropping the cooler (although that one should be quieter than the stock cooler). You won't need a 650W PSU, so consider 500-550W good quality models (a lot of info on PSUs here, and I'm no expert. Although I don't particularly trust Corsair, but all PSUs are manufactured by someone else anyway).

You may wait for Zen CPUs before making a move, but in that case don't get the GPU now either. You'll get a better card for the money, or the same card cheaper, when the time comes. I have made "partial builds" in the past for different reasons, but unless you get some obvious deal not too far away from build time, it's typically best to get everything when build time comes.

15 minutes ago, RiverManito said:

Greetings

Don't get a VS PSU if you care about your components :)

I suck at reading the OP

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

The 970 for that price is definitely worth it. However I would suggest saving a bit more and then buying a 6600k instead of the 6500, and I'd also get a bit better PSU.

Liquid cooling since 2002.

21 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

There is a 50€ difference between the 6500 and the 6600k, but considering I don't think I will get into enhanced clock speeds I could consider getting an H mb and pairing it with the 6500. Will do this unless I get in love with the new amd cpus, but I don't really think so hahaha.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Energycore said:

Don't get a VS PSU if you care about your components :)

I suck at reading the OP

Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, RiverManito said:

Any suggestions?

Depending on where you live, good PSUs that may come cheap could be these:

XFX TS, ProSeries

Seasonic EVO, S12II

Corsair CXM (grey sticker)

Super Flower any model

FSP Hydro G / Hydro X

Fractal Design Integra M, Edison M

EVGA Any Bronze-rated, Any Gold-rated except the NEX ones

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR