Friend messed up 2 GTX Titan XPs, need advice

Hey forum,

One of my friends up at college does physics research. He was in the process of building his new computer to run simulations, and broke both Titan XPs while trying to install a water block. A couple surface mounted capacitors fell off of each card. He has found a repair place but they need a high resolution image of the schematic in order to repair the card. Does he have any hope? The card was bought from Nvidia directly so he had no additional warranty. Is he boned?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

3 minutes ago, BMARX123 said:

Hey forum,

One of my friends up at college does physics research. He was in the process of building his new computer to run simulations, and broke both Titan XPs while trying to install a water block. A couple surface mounted capacitors fell off of each card. He has found a repair place but they need a high resolution image of the schematic in order to repair the card. Does he have any hope? The card was bought from Nvidia directly so he had no additional warranty. Is he boned?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

well, yes... soldering that would need some pretty good skills

Have a look at this: http://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/rma-process/

Taking off the stock cooler voids the warranty I believe?! Or is it just putting a new one on? Not sure, if he leaves no trace he took off the stock one then its fine. I would try and RMA first.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Hi, I'm the fuck up who wasted 2400 dollars. I hope everybody else's life still has a shred meaning. I have pretty good soldering skills as I work with quite a few small components. The problem is how small the SMCs and SMRs are so small. It is out of my skill level and I will need a professional.

1 minute ago, Bittenfleax said:

Have a look at this: http://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/rma-process/

Taking off the stock cooler voids the warranty I believe?! Or is it just putting a new one on? Not sure, if he leaves no trace he took off the stock one then its fine. I would try and RMA first.

eh i'm pretty sure that's illegal...

There is no way in hell Nvidia will take the cards when they have PCB damage. Even evga will void your warranty if they notice any damage directly done to the PCB. They matter of fact is that I fucked up and it isn't any companies fault. I think my only option is to look for outside repair as I don't think Nvidia has one but, for that I need the schematics to see what I have lost.

4 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

eh i'm pretty sure that's illegal...

So? I would do it for the sake of a few thousand...

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Just now, Bittenfleax said:

So? I would do it for the sake of a few thousand...

Totally agree but, Nvidia is a very smart and thorough company. They will easily catch any mistake that is mine and I can't imagine they will give me pity.

2 minutes ago, NerdyPatches said:

Totally agree but, Nvidia is a very smart and thorough company. They will easily catch any mistake that is mine and I can't imagine they will give me pity.

That is true. And if it is both cards with the problem it looks suspicious. Just try one card maybe? Depends on how far the damage is like scratches. If they say no then they will just return it to you.

Yikes... tell your friend he may be out $2400 then because that fix would be pretty dang hard to do...

I found a company in the UK that will do it if I give them the schematics. Real question is how in the world do I get those.

2 minutes ago, NerdyPatches said:

I found a company in the UK that will do it if I give them the schematics. Real question is how in the world do I get those.

There are places online who collect and re-sell schematics. I saw it when looking for a certain laptop schematic about 6 months back. Cant remember the name, but might point you in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, NerdyPatches said:

Ask Nvidia, see what they might suggest. Maybe one of their partners provides this service.

10 minutes ago, NerdyPatches said:

Hi, I'm the fuck up who wasted 2400 dollars. I hope everybody else's life still has a shred meaning. I have pretty good soldering skills as I work with quite a few small components. The problem is how small the SMCs and SMRs are so small. It is out of my skill level and I will need a professional.

on the bright side at least its just money, yea sure its $2.4k, however you'll eventually make that money back later on... at least you didn't do something stupid that got your record stained or something like that. because a stained record in my opinion is far worse than wasting $2.4k.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

While I am not going to prison, being out 2.4k while in college blows. Nvidia chat says the can't give me schematics :( I need to get a hold of jen hsun and repent for my sins against the green gods.

18 minutes ago, NerdyPatches said:

While I am not going to prison, being out 2.4k while in college blows. Nvidia chat says the can't give me schematics :( I need to get a hold of jen hsun and repent for my sins against the green gods.

No one will arrest you if you try to solder the parts back on, and RMA it, the worst they can do is say that you voided their warranty, which may just be becauce you removed the cooler.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Well that blows. I'm sorry but I can't stop myself from asking; how the hell did you manage that? I've been trying to figure out how installing a waterblock could do such damage.

Liquid cooling since 2002.