Windows 10 update frozen.

MajorGoob

So I have windows ten. It told me it upgraded and could restart now or later. Thinking it would be a quick 5 minute update and reboot with my ssd, I said now. Well, now its been almost an hour that it has been stuck at 94% with the little loading circle thing frozen. I can still move the mouse, its just stuck. Any suggestions? I dont think its the anniversary update. But I could be wrong.

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

Brick it, restart your interent and power, than redo the whole update.

Source: I've upgraded over 8 PCs to Windows 10. 1/3 times it freezes. Windows 10 updates tend to freeze.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

2 minutes ago, LukeS said:

Brick it, restart your interent and power, than redo the whole update.

Source: I've upgraded over 8 PCs to Windows 10. 1/3 times it freezes. Windows 10 updates tend to freeze.

What do you mean by "Brick it"? Hard shutdown?

~               

Wait or restart. If your windows corrupts.. you know what happens next.

• OS: Windows 10/10 Pro  • SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Evo Series *  • HDD: Seagate 1TB  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X (SLI)
• CPU: i7-4790K OC 4.7GHz Quad-Core Processor • Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W
• RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory • Mobo: MSI Gaming 5

1 minute ago, MajorGoob said:

What do you mean by "Brick it"? Hard shutdown?

Yes.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Keep me updated. If it corrupts, restoring a backup is easier because it automatically gives you the latest windowsX update.

Just now, LukeS said:

Keep me updated. If it corrupts, restoring a backup is easier because it automatically gives you the latest windowsX update.

Will it harm all my personal data?

~               

2 minutes ago, MajorGoob said:

Will it harm all my personal data?

There is a VERY MINOR potential. I've only had to restore a back up once, and it was when my hard-drive randomly broke (not at all a system update problem). You should be safe. It'd be too late too try to retrieve files, so a hard-restart will probably be your best option.

Keep me posted!

-LukeS
I_M_3rd

EMT-B

2 minutes ago, LukeS said:

There is a VERY MINOR potential. I've only had to restore a back up once, and it was when my hard-drive randomly broke (not at all a system update problem). You should be safe. It'd be too late too try to retrieve files, so a hard-restart will probably be your best option.

Keep me posted!

-LukeS
I_M_3rd

EMT-B

LORD GABEN AND GRANPA GATES HAVE BLESSED ME. HAHAHAHAHA. IT WORKS. IT ISNT CORRUPTED.

~               

2 minutes ago, MajorGoob said:

LORD GABEN AND GRANPA GATES HAVE BLESSED ME. HAHAHAHAHA. IT WORKS. IT ISNT CORRUPTED.

Yup! If I can be of any further help, let me know!

-LukeS

Just now, LukeS said:

Yup! If I can be of any further help, let me know!

-LukeS

Thanks. It actually completed the update. It was just a weird graphical error. Thanks dying GPU! If you have ever seen anything else that I have posted you will know that I am reluctant to buy a GPU.... Even though mine is louder than a dying baboon, hotter than the Sahara, crashes harder than flight MH370, and is dustier than a dry lake bed.

~