Found a stable OC, what's next and xmp question

bbnn

So after doing an 8 hour realbench stress test with no crashes and 8 hour Aida64 I think My 6700k is stable @ 4.6ghz & 1.355v

So 2 questions:

1) are there any settings I need to change/ revert back in the bios? Here are my settings: http://imgur.com/a/I3r8S

2)my default ram timings are lower than xmp settings? Lower = better right? Or should I change my xmp timings to the lower ones?

https://m.imgur.com/a/7z3R8

Lower CAS timings are indeed better but you have to compare them at the same frequency if you want an accurate comparison to what is truly better overall

As for the first question, no? Honestly I'm a little confused what you are asking/why you are asking it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Smaller is better in timings but worse in speed. But it really doesn't matter how fast RAM is. It's fast enough any way. Try running some benchmarks if you don't believe.

RAM settings affect CPU OC stability so you should just keep the settings you had on when you validated your OC. Generally speaking it's best to see what your XMP profile 1 gives you and entering those settings manually.

Just now, Naeaes said:

Smaller is better in timings but worse in speed. But it really doesn't matter how fast RAM is. It's fast enough any way. Try running some benchmarks if you don't believe

**Except in fallout or bottleneck scenarios

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Lower CAS timings are indeed better but you have to compare them at the same frequency if you want an accurate comparison to what is truly better overall

As for the first question, no? Honestly I'm a little confused what you are asking/why you are asking it.

Like for example i read that once i find a stable overclock i should change the vcore from manual to adaptive +? are there any other settings in the bios that should be changed/reverted back to auto now that I'm "done Overclocking" 

23 minutes ago, bbnn said:

Like for example i read that once i find a stable overclock i should change the vcore from manual to adaptive +? are there any other settings in the bios that should be changed/reverted back to auto now that I'm "done Overclocking" 

Oh ok your talking about the offset voltages (using the regular adaptive isn't a great idea if you want good thermals/stability with a OC generally), yeah it's a good idea to set that up if you want your computer to not be running at full speed frequency/voltage 100% of the time, as for the other settings they should stay about the same (you can disable turbo for the hell of it if you like), you may have to fiddle with the offsets a little to find the voltage you want as the starting voltage varies from board to board and it's the offset reference point

43 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Smaller is better in timings but worse in speed. But it really doesn't matter how fast RAM is. It's fast enough any way. Try running some benchmarks if you don't believe.

CPU cache and RAM impact Cinebench R15 scores greatly as well many other CPU intense benchmarks.

36 minutes ago, bbnn said:

Adaptive Voltage is perfectly fine and actually a great idea for very low idle temps.

56 minutes ago, bbnn said:

2)my default ram timings are lower than xmp settings? Lower = better right? Or should I change my xmp timings to the lower ones?

https://m.imgur.com/a/7z3R8

The reason your default RAM timings are lower than you XMP timings is because you were running it at 2133 at the time of that screen shot.  Your XMP is a 2666 profile, which requires slightly more relaxed timings due to speed increase.  z170 platforms benefit more from speed than super tight timings.

42 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Adaptive Voltage is perfectly fine and actually a great idea for very low idle temps.

so adaptive (+) right? Not (-)? whata bout the core/caches limit and the min.max? should i keep it at 255 or set it back to auto? andwhat about the vrm spread?

9 minutes ago, bbnn said:

so adaptive (+) right? Not (-)? whata bout the core/caches limit and the min.max? should i keep it at 255 or set it back to auto? andwhat about the vrm spread?

Yes. (+) 

Set your offset to auto and input the same value that you used for your manual overclock into the additional turbo block. 

Leave everything else the same as it was during your testing. 

Consider overclocking your cache if you didn't already do so.  There's quite a bit of gain there especially if you lucked out with a 1:1 type chip. 

29 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yes. (+) 

Set your offset to auto and input the same value that you used for your manual overclock into the additional turbo block. 

Leave everything else the same as it was during your testing. 

Consider overclocking your cache if you didn't already do so.  There's quite a bit of gain there especially if you lucked out with a 1:1 type chip. 

Just set the min max cache ratio to 46 right? And leave the cache current limit to 255?

2 minutes ago, bbnn said:

Just set the min max cache ratio to 46 right? And leave the cache current limit to 255?

Set min to auto and max to 4.6 to match your CPU OC.  If you got a decent chip, it should work out.  You'll more than likely need to increase CPU cache voltage so set it manually first and then worry about offset when you get it stable.

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Set min to auto and max to 4.6 to match your CPU OC.  If you got a decent chip, it should work out.  You'll more than likely need to increase CPU cache voltage so set it manually first and then worry about offset when you get it stable.

Skylake has no Cache voltage like Haswell did. It uses the same voltage as the core.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

34 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Skylake has no Cache voltage like Haswell did. It uses the same voltage as the core.

Even better!