My first build

Right now i'm looking for deals on 1060/980Ti/1070. I'd like the 10 series to be FE, but they are not sold anymore.... I'm using a 1080p screen right now and I probably won't upgrade that for a few more years, but now that the price of the Rift came down I started thinking about that again. I haven't made up my mind on what's a sensible upgrade path...

1. Buy the 1060 now and get the Rift as soon as I get the money
  2. Buy the 1070 now and get the Rift as soon as I get the money
  3. Look for a used 980Ti and get the Rift as soon as I get the money
  4. Buy any of the GPUs above and wait with the purchase of the Rift (I'll be sharing it with my brother and he didn't find any games he liked. In the past two years my gaming time went from about 2 hours a day to 0,1h/day :D and I have switched to single-player simulator games. I just can't handle online games anymore. Most of the sims I play support VR so I don't really need any other games )

When I saw that stores are not selling FE cards anymore I thought about getting an aftermarket 1060 and when Nvidia releases the new series I'd sell the 1060 and get xx70 FE, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money, since nobody plays games that much in my family. I have a similar setup with two VMs, one is a gamingVM that was supposed to stream over Steam's In-home streaming service but that is not working as I planned and my brothers stopped using it. (Some games just don't work; some games work, but don't recognise the playstation 4 controller, joysticks and wheels are also not recognised by Steam  ) So once again I have a gaming PC running almost 24/7 but is fully utilised only about 5% of the time. 

I just remembered another thing you could test for me :P My 280x can't stream and incode 1080p video and I've already tested my friend's 1070 and it worked perfectly. Could you test your 1060 for me ? 

If you don't know how to use Steam's in home streaming: Sign into Steam on both computers with the same account. On the computer with the 1060 go to setting-->in home streaming--> tick enable in home streaming if it's not already--> leave all the preset settings. I'm assuming there is at least one game already installed on the computer so you don't have to do anything else on this computer. Go to the computer with the 1070, open settings--> check if streaming is enabled-->go to client options-->tick the box to display performance information --> go to your game library and choose the game you want to stream like this PJPAoZAuS7GtVhS59FWcyA.png

once in-game, press F6 to display performance graphs and look for any big increases in latency, freezes and thing like that.

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

44 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Right now i'm looking for deals on 1060/980Ti/1070. I'd like the 10 series to be FE, but they are not sold anymore.... I'm using a 1080p screen right now and I probably won't upgrade that for a few more years, but now that the price of the Rift came down I started thinking about that again. I haven't made up my mind on what's a sensible upgrade path...

1. Buy the 1060 now and get the Rift as soon as I get the money
  2. Buy the 1070 now and get the Rift as soon as I get the money
  3. Look for a used 980Ti and get the Rift as soon as I get the money
  4. Buy any of the GPUs above and wait with the purchase of the Rift (I'll be sharing it with my brother and he didn't find any games he liked. In the past two years my gaming time went from about 2 hours a day to 0,1h/day :D and I have switched to single-player simulator games. I just can't handle online games anymore. Most of the sims I play support VR so I don't really need any other games )

When I saw that stores are not selling FE cards anymore I thought about getting an aftermarket 1060 and when Nvidia releases the new series I'd sell the 1060 and get xx70 FE, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money, since nobody plays games that much in my family. I have a similar setup with two VMs, one is a gamingVM that was supposed to stream over Steam's In-home streaming service but that is not working as I planned and my brothers stopped using it. (Some games just don't work; some games work, but don't recognise the playstation 4 controller, joysticks and wheels are also not recognised by Steam  ) So once again I have a gaming PC running almost 24/7 but is fully utilised only about 5% of the time. 

I just remembered another thing you could test for me :P My 280x can't stream and incode 1080p video and I've already tested my friend's 1070 and it worked perfectly. Could you test your 1060 for me ? 

If you don't know how to use Steam's in home streaming: Sign into Steam on both computers with the same account. On the computer with the 1060 go to setting-->in home streaming--> tick enable in home streaming if it's not already--> leave all the preset settings. I'm assuming there is at least one game already installed on the computer so you don't have to do anything else on this computer. Go to the computer with the 1070, open settings--> check if streaming is enabled-->go to client options-->tick the box to display performance information --> go to your game library and choose the game you want to stream like this PJPAoZAuS7GtVhS59FWcyA.png

once in-game, press F6 to display performance graphs and look for any big increases in latency, freezes and thing like that.

I haven't tried the 1060 before, but I was able to stream from the 1070 vm to my laptop perfectly fine. I did that when I first tested the system before I modded the power supplies so I could play in a separate room to avoid all the noise...

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

sweet computer and impressive for a first build just a bit concerned on your monitor

Another quick question, how do you know when you run it in 16 thread mode that you are increasing single thread performance, for some reason it doesn't register an increase on any of my single thread bench marking softwares when switching from 32 to 16 threads.....In CPUZ and passmark I'm getting the same score for single thread and idk why that is.  Any guesses would be appreciated.

Also for some reason when I load games into ram I get a lot of stuttering and again duno why.... My max fps is still over 100 in most things but my min drops to like 4 occasionally making my average around 95 fps, but the game becomes hard to watch because of these big drops for short periods, any ideas one that would also be helpful 

Another thing I am concerned about is that there is no sleep or hibernate mode available only restart and shutdown.... I am not sure if this is a windows thing or if the mobo simply doesn't support it, did you ever get sleep or hibernate mode to work?

Thanks for answering all my other questions earlier btw!

8 hours ago, octotriangle said:

Another quick question, how do you know when you run it in 16 thread mode that you are increasing single thread performance, for some reason it doesn't register an increase on any of my single thread bench marking softwares when switching from 32 to 16 threads.....In CPUZ and passmark I'm getting the same score for single thread and idk why that is.  Any guesses would be appreciated.

I disabled hyperthreading because it boosts single thread performance specifically for KVM backed vms. That does not mean it will help if you're just running windows. With 32 threads available it's no big deal for Windows to make sure that the sister thread for whatever cpuz etc is running on to sit idle, in which case you'll get the same performance as without hyperthreading. When you're multitasking though but still want the best single thread performance you can get, and you're limited more in cores (split between vms), disabling hyperthreading can help some.

8 hours ago, octotriangle said:

Another thing I am concerned about is that there is no sleep or hibernate mode available only restart and shutdown.... I am not sure if this is a windows thing or if the mobo simply doesn't support it, did you ever get sleep or hibernate mode to work?

I'm running linux on the base machine, and have no need for sleep or hibernation. The system is basically on 24/7 and only the VMs get shutdown. Since starting those doesn't involve long post times and their virtual disks are on ssds, starting the vm is just as fast as resuming, so I just shut them down.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

• 2 years later...

I know that this is an old post but I'm wondering if you could assist me in finding a 2x2 to Pcie power connector, I have the same board and am searching for a way to power my GPU. Any help is appreciated.