Helping a friend with PC building

Hello community,

A while ago my friend started working in a job which led to him being able to save for a PC build, he wants to be able to game at up to 1440p or 1080p (whatever's possible with his budget) at over 60 FPS. His budget is approximately AUD $1200, if needed he could pull together up to an extra hundred if it is worth it. Personally, I don't know what parts to choose as in last gen, current gen or planned future generations. We want to plan ahead so that we can have time to gather parts when they go on offer. He wants for his build to be completed by December this year or January next year so there is still time.

He will be using the PC for:

1. Gaming Triple A titles
  2. Video editing
  3. Workstation apps 
  4. School work

Any recommendations of parts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance  

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

2 minutes ago, another random person said:

Hello community,

A while ago my friend started working in a job which led to him being able to save for a PC build, he wants to be able to game at up to 1440p or 1080p (whatever's possible with his budget) at over 60 FPS. His budget is approximately AUD $1200, if needed he could pull together up to an extra hundred if it is worth it. Personally, I don't know what parts to choose as in last gen, current gen or planned future generations. We want to plan ahead so that we can have time to gather parts when they go on offer. He wants for his build to be completed by December this year or January next year so there is still time.

He will be using the PC for:

1. Gaming Triple A titles
  2. Video editing
  3. Workstation apps 
  4. School work

Any recommendations of parts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance  

He should be able to do 1440p med-high settings at decent framerates, but 1080p will run much better at this budget. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

I'm looking at the system in your signature and for about $1200...give or take a few bucks he could just about do something similar without the dual GPU's, a little cheaper MOBO and maybe settle on a single HDD or SSD.

MSY has great prices in Australia.

1 minute ago, jello77 said:

I'm looking at the system in your signature and for about $1200...give or take a few bucks he could just about do something similar without the dual GPU's, a little cheaper MOBO and maybe settle on a single HDD or SSD.

MSY has great prices in Australia.

Thanks, I actually use MSY as a supplier for all my PC builds.

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Just now, jello77 said:

I've not found anyone that can match them.

Have you priced a system for your friend yet?

Not really actually. I might now.

Desktop

LAPTOP

18 hours ago, BenJaminL11 said:

If your buying parts go with PCCG. MSY Screwd me over and the guys who work there are D*cks.

Just a Build That I Chucked together

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/Sc 

-----Edit-----

That Case wont fit the Mobo sorry xD

Just realized that.

The guys that work where exactly? There's like 30 odd MSY stores. You're saying they're all dicks?

I've only shopped there and have never had a problem. Won't be changing to the more expensive PCCG anytime soon.

On 15/09/2016 at 4:58 PM, jello77 said:

The guys that work where exactly? There's like 30 odd MSY stores. You're saying they're all dicks?

I've only shopped there and have never had a problem. Won't be changing to the more expensive PCCG anytime soon.

Yep, same. The staff at the MSY store I go to are friendly and helpful. PCCG prices are much higher and you need to pay postage. Nope, not changing.

Desktop

LAPTOP

5 hours ago, another random person said:

Yep, same. The staff at the MSY store I go to are friendly and helpful. PCCG prices are much higher and you need to pay postage. Nope, not changing.

How did you go pricing a system?

On 20/09/2016 at 3:07 PM, jello77 said:

How did you go pricing a system?

I followed guides and everything and I pieced together a decent system, thanks for your help.

Desktop

LAPTOP