Power supply for new build

dan_man555

I am building a new rig, but not sure how to size the power supply. It is mainly a gaming pc, and no immediate plans on overclocking.

I think a seasonic 80 plus gold 650W wiould be enough, but would really like an expert opinion.

My specs are as follows:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($227.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard:  Asus Z87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($153.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($99.12 @ NCIX US)
Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card:  Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case:  Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($135.00)
Case Fan:  Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan:  Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive:  LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer  ($15.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: $1065.01

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the build, I'd take out the soundcard and get an 840 EVO instead of the Pro. The extra money will let you afford a 7950. Onboard sound is not as bad as you think it is.

I'd go for a 600W power supply. 700 if you plan on crossfire in the future. The Seasonic one looks good. 80+ Gold is somewhat overpriced but depends on where you live.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

What type of headphones are you pwoering with that highe nd sound card, if you have something lower than a ATH-M30 from audiotechnica, you won't see much at all. Go for a lower end sound card if you don't ahve high end headphones/don't plan on buying them. Get a 650W PSU unless you want to crossfire then get a 700-750W, get a 840 EVO or even a kingstone SSD NOW, in real world the read/write is really unnoticeable, even with large files. 

I appreciate the input, but I actually have most of the parts already.

Since I only have a single 1080p screen, I doubt I'll need a second graphics card.

Can I be absolutely sure that a 650w PSU will deliver everything I need without fail?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You could run your system off of a decent 450w psu. The 650w gold easily has enough power for a 7870 CF.

@Dan_man555 You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You could run your system off of a decent 450w psu. The 650w gold easily has enough power for a 7870 CF.

@[member=Dan_man555 You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Thanks dude!

The Seasonic SSR-450RM or the XFX ATX 550 P1550SXXB9 would easily handle your system with headroom for OC'ing.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

The Seasonic SSR-450RM or the XFX ATX 550 P1550SXXB9 would easily handle your system with headroom for OC'ing.

When I went to pick up the PSU, the computer guy insisted I should get a 750W, and if he were building the system for someone else, he'd put in an 850W just to be safe. He's probably just trying to sell me a bigger one for no reason.

When I went to pick up the PSU, the computer guy insisted I should get a 750W, and if he were building the system for someone else, he'd put in an 850W just to be safe. He's probably just trying to sell me a bigger one for no reason.

Yeah I would just get the SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM as 750w is overkill if you are running a single card configuration.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

550W is plenty for your build. If you decide to SLI/Crossfire then you would want a 750W.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

• 4 weeks later...

Since I only have a single 1080p screen, I doubt I'll need a second graphics card.

Depends on your settings. Many games will crush a 7870 at anything higher then medium settings even at 1080p...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Thanks dude!

System's quite imbalanced btw..

Yep. That or he exhibits the newbie's "I need a bigger psu" dilemma. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.