Need a Good Mobo with Great OC ability for I7-6700k!

GamingNurse

I need a good Mobo for a i7-6700k! I also want to paint the headers as i want a Black and gold theme PC.

AsRock Extreme4 ATX

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/k3tWGX/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xud5

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5480#sp

Black and gold Z170 board just like you asked. There is also a version with Thunderbolt enabled (Z170 UD5 TH) but it lacks some things like USB 3.1 type A (although it has two type C/thunderbolt) and a second M.2 port and its a bit more expensive. but something to keep in mind if you want that.

However if you want the max potential overclocks neither of these boards will get you there (although they will have very respectable OC's, they're not going to get you every last ounce). The Asus Z170 Deluxe/premium is good, the ROG Maximus VIII Extreme, Gigabyte G1 Gaming. There may be others, but those are sort of the top-of-the-line boards from each of those guys. But realistically any Z170 baord is going to do well for your OC ability. the silicon lottery is going to affect you MUCH more than your choice of motherboard will.

24 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/k3tWGX/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xud5

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5480#sp

Black and gold Z170 board just like you asked. There is also a version with Thunderbolt enabled (Z170 UD5 TH) but it lacks some things like USB 3.1 type A (although it has two type C/thunderbolt) and a second M.2 port and its a bit more expensive. but something to keep in mind if you want that.

However if you want the max potential overclocks neither of these boards will get you there (although they will have very respectable OC's, they're not going to get you every last ounce). The Asus Z170 Deluxe/premium is good, the ROG Maximus VIII Extreme, Gigabyte G1 Gaming. There may be others, but those are sort of the top-of-the-line boards from each of those guys. But realistically any Z170 baord is going to do well for your OC ability. the silicon lottery is going to affect you MUCH more than your choice of motherboard will.

Well it doesnt has to be Black and gold. i just want a good board for the biggest bang for buck. I can Plasti Dip the headers and covers.

well biggest bang for your buck would be one of the cheaper boards. the difference in overclocking power between the cheaper Z170 boards (like an Asus Z170-A) and a premium board (like a Z170 Deluxe) isn't really all that much, and probably wouldn't even be noticeable with conventional CPU coolers.

Bang for your buck is something in the Z170-A price range, or even maybe a bit cheaper. Find a board with all the things you like, that comes with the right connectors, better audio, or whatever features really tickle your fancy. Some of my more commonly recommended boards are these:

Z170-A by Asus.

Z170X Gaming 3 by Gigabyte

Z170 HD3P by Gigabyte

Z170 Gaming M5 by MSI

Z170-UD3 Ultra by Gigabyte (one of their newer ones)

I tend to avoid Asrock since they often have ugly boards (personal preference), but if you're spraying then that solves that problem. functionally they have very good boards at competitive prices, but I'm not overly familiar with them since I've never really looked at them. Also, those 5 boards aren't the only ones you should consider. There are other reasons to look at other boards. I myself have a Z170-A in my computer, but that is because it had the things I wanted for my computer. the things you want in your computer may be different and may be available at a cheaper cost, or maybe you want to spend a bit more for something like a Q-code LED debugger on board.

Motherboard is a personal choice. You gotta choose for what you need =)

13 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

well biggest bang for your buck would be one of the cheaper boards. the difference in overclocking power between the cheaper Z170 boards (like an Asus Z170-A) and a premium board (like a Z170 Deluxe) isn't really all that much, and probably wouldn't even be noticeable with conventional CPU coolers.

Bang for your buck is something in the Z170-A price range, or even maybe a bit cheaper. Find a board with all the things you like, that comes with the right connectors, better audio, or whatever features really tickle your fancy. Some of my more commonly recommended boards are these:

Z170-A by Asus.

Z170X Gaming 3 by Gigabyte

Z170 HD3P by Gigabyte

Z170 Gaming M5 by MSI

Z170-UD3 Ultra by Gigabyte (one of their newer ones)

I tend to avoid Asrock since they often have ugly boards (personal preference), but if you're spraying then that solves that problem. functionally they have very good boards at competitive prices, but I'm not overly familiar with them since I've never really looked at them. Also, those 5 boards aren't the only ones you should consider. There are other reasons to look at other boards. I myself have a Z170-A in my computer, but that is because it had the things I wanted for my computer. the things you want in your computer may be different and may be available at a cheaper cost, or maybe you want to spend a bit more for something like a Q-code LED debugger on board.

Motherboard is a personal choice. You gotta choose for what you need =)

Im not big on Asrock, I had them in my first build 9 years ago. I trust Gigabyte, Asus, and heard great things about MSI. Im now looking at the G1-7 from gigabyte and the one you posted now.