OC i7 6800k CPU?

This may be futile, but does anyone know a place or guide that shows how to OC a i7 6800k CPU?

I have looked everywhere and perhaps it is my build that is making this difficult. But I am worried my temperatures will get too low (currently my cpu rests around 23-27 degrees Celsius and my Liquid Cooler for CPU rests around 26-28 Degrees Celsius.) I use a Gigabyte x99 Ultimate Gaming MOBO and 32GBs of DDR4 3000 MHz RAM. It is driving me bonkers and worrying the hell out of me that it is going to accumulate condensation. So if anyone uses a similar build (the Gigabyte 99x bios is a little odd I will admit) or knows a step by step method, I will be eternally indebted to you and will find a way to repay you.

Condensation will only happen if you have sub ambient cooling like phase change, or dry ice.

It is just like any other overclocking raise the frequency a hair, stress test, if it passes raise the frequency a bit more, then test again, if it fails increase the voltage a hair and test again, and repeat under the desired performacneis met.

I am not sure what the max "safe" voltage for 24/7 use on Skylake-E is though.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

14 minutes ago, Jv2391 said:

This may be futile, but does anyone know a place or guide that shows how to OC a i7 6800k CPU?

I have looked everywhere and perhaps it is my build that is making this difficult. But I am worried my temperatures will get too low (currently my cpu rests around 23-27 degrees Celsius and my Liquid Cooler for CPU rests around 26-28 Degrees Celsius.) I use a Gigabyte x99 Ultimate Gaming MOBO and 32GBs of DDR4 3000 MHz RAM. It is driving me bonkers and worrying the hell out of me that it is going to accumulate condensation. So if anyone uses a similar build (the Gigabyte 99x bios is a little odd I will admit) or knows a step by step method, I will be eternally indebted to you and will find a way to repay you.

You will not get condensation with any type of ambient cooling method such as air or water.  Condensation becomes a problem when you start using extreme cooling such as peltiers or water chiller.  Don't worry about condensation.  You will definitely never get "too low" with water.

What you do need to worry about with Haswell-E and Broadwell-E CPUs are high temperatures.  Specifically package temps when you start pushing higher clocks.

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Condensation will only happen if you have sub ambient cooling like phase change, or dry ice.

It is just like any other overclocking raise the frequency a hair, stress test, if it passes raise the frequency a bit more, then test again, if it fails increase the voltage a hair and test again, and repeat under the desired performacneis met.

I am not sure what the max "safe" voltage for 24/7 use on Skylake-E is though.

I have been trying to fiddle with OC settings, but it just won't take. By this I mean as I increase, there is no change in the CPU frequency. It stays at 3.4GHz.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

You will not get condensation with any type of ambient cooling method such as air or water.  Condensation becomes a problem when you start using extreme cooling such as peltiers or water chiller.  Don't worry about condensation.  You will definitely never get "too low" with water.

What you do need to worry about with Haswell-E and Broadwell-E CPUs are high temperatures.  Specifically package temps when you start pushing higher clocks.

Thanks, I had asked this at other places and they told me it can happen with the CPU cooler I went with (Corsair H100iGTX). So put me into a panic. I have seen other benchmarks of users pushing 4.4GHz so I know it's capable and my PSU is 750W so I know my build is strong enough to handle it if I am not mistaken (currently I only need a 500W to run the full build so I have 250W to work with)

5 minutes ago, Jv2391 said:

I have been trying to fiddle with OC settings, but it just won't take. By this I mean as I increase, there is no change in the CPU frequency. It stays at 3.4GHz.

Make sure to click save settings when you exit the BIOS.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

Make sure to click save settings when you exit the BIOS.

Done that. The BIOS in Gigabyte 99x is really weird to me. It gives the option of OC (high performance) option, but when you choose it, it just stays at the default settings. It's very odd.

16 minutes ago, Jv2391 said:

Thanks, I had asked this at other places and they told me it can happen with the CPU cooler I went with (Corsair H100iGTX). So put me into a panic. I have seen other benchmarks of users pushing 4.4GHz so I know it's capable and my PSU is 750W so I know my build is strong enough to handle it if I am not mistaken (currently I only need a 500W to run the full build so I have 250W to work with)

Yeah, the 6800k is a pretty strong chip.  I was able to run one that I had at 4.5 GHz @ 1.33v completely stable and it would complete all benchmarks to include Cinebench R15 at 4.6 GHz @ 1.36v.  I no longer have it, but it was a decent chip.

Like I said, keep and eye on package and core temps.  They are both important with HWE and BWE.

1436cb multi - 188cb single (4.6GHz-3.1GHz).jpg

12 minutes ago, Jv2391 said:

Done that. The BIOS in Gigabyte 99x is really weird to me. It gives the option of OC (high performance) option, but when you choose it, it just stays at the default settings. It's very odd.

You need to manually overclock it.  Do not use the automatic overclocking that the motherboard offers.  Go in and set the multi and voltage values yourself.

Dude... All you have to do is increase the CPU Core Voltage and increase the CPU multiplier. Who ever told you a water cooler will give you condensation must know nothing about computers. You should be able to OC to 4.2-4.4 ghz http://wccftech.com/intel-i7-6800k-overclocked/

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

~snip~

Hey, i saw in your signature, that you are using 3200MHz RAM with your Samsung 950 Pro M.2 on an ASUS X99 Deluxe. How do you manage to keep the full bandwidth of the 950s while still using those high RAM clocks?

As you can see in my post: 

on page 3, I am discussing this problem and I am still not sure, if it will work.

The issue is also explained here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79493-Samsung-950-Pro-M-2-and-BCLK-on-XMP-profiles-causing-downgraded-M-2-speeds

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2015/11/11/samsung-ssd-950-pro-review/1

Sorry if I post in this thread, it would be really nice of you, if you could send me an answer in the other thread! :)

30 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

@Lubi97 I'll check out your thread and post in there if I can help.

Thanks for the help. Can I just I fucking love this community? 

45 minutes ago, Heavygun1450 said:

Dude... All you have to do is increase the CPU Core Voltage and increase the CPU multiplier. Who ever told you a water cooler will give you condensation must know nothing about computers. You should be able to OC to 4.2-4.4 ghz http://wccftech.com/intel-i7-6800k-overclocked/

You rock man, I appreciate the info so much.

I have mine at 4.2gz and it has no issues. Probably could have gone to 4.5 and have no issues either.  I have water cooling just cause I like it for best cooling. You certainly can do it on a good air cooler.  Cant remember my voltages off the top of my head though. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

3 minutes ago, SoloDolo said:

I have mine at 4.2gz and it has no issues. Probably could have gone to 4.5 and have no issues either.  I have water cooling just cause I like it for best cooling. You certainly can do it on a good air cooler.  Cant remember my voltages off the top of my head though. 

I figure if I go 1.3V at 3.8GHz I will be fine I just have to make the correct adjustments. You would think that the MOBO producers and intel would work together to make OC'ing seamless for gamer's considering that 99x gaming series mobos are literally designed for one thing. Just a little silly.

10 minutes ago, Jv2391 said:

I figure if I go 1.3V at 3.8GHz I will be fine I just have to make the correct adjustments. You would think that the MOBO producers and intel would work together to make OC'ing seamless for gamer's considering that 99x gaming series mobos are literally designed for one thing. Just a little silly.

Asus does publish very nice overclocking guides for use with their motherboards.  They don't put it in the box, but it's available on their "Edge Up" website.  The amount of information the Asus overclocking guys provide in other forums is really impressive too.

5 minutes ago, Jv2391 said:

I agree with MOBO vendors should. Some of the do I believe. Intel wouldnt do that because they might be held liable or something. Anyways I am pretty sure I am at 1.33v and am stable. The 6800k is a good performer. Are you using it for VMs also? 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

11 minutes ago, SoloDolo said:

I agree with MOBO vendors should. Some of the do I believe. Intel wouldnt do that because they might be held liable or something. Anyways I am pretty sure I am at 1.33v and am stable. The 6800k is a good performer. Are you using it for VMs also? 

Intel doesn't do it because they don't officially support overclocking.  

15 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Intel doesn't do it because they don't officially support overclocking.  

Lol I know they don't officially support it, but they sure as hell do a lot of advertising on their website for it xD

17 minutes ago, SoloDolo said:

I will end up dabbling into it once I get my streaming portion of things set up. I work in the IT field, but no clients need OCing so I never get to play with it.