Are K processors worth it?

TempestRX

So I'm thinking of buting a new pc, but to stay under budget I don't know if I should get the 6700K or should I get the 6700

1 minute ago, TempestRX said:

So I'm thinking of buting a new pc, but to stay under budget I don't know if I should get the 6700K or should I get the 6700

Well what are you going to be doing with this PC? You may not even need such a powerful CPU.

If you are not looking for enthusiast performance, 6700 would be good. It includes cooler, and you don't need z170 mobo.

1 minute ago, TempestRX said:

All K adds is the ability to overclock. Is an aftermarket CPU cooler in your budget? Will the motherboard you choose support overclocking? Do you even plan on overclocking?

If you do plan on overclocking and are going to purchase the necessary supporting components to facilitate overclocking, then yes, a K series CPU is worth it as you can often overclock and beat the performance of more expensive CPUS.

But if you don't plan on overclocking than the K series CPU offers nothing you need and would not be worth the extra cost.  

6 minutes ago, TempestRX said:

The K's are worth it if you want to push the maximum performance you can. Otherwise save some money and get a non-K.

IF you have the budget, IF you have the correct workload, IF you have the cooling potential, and IF you have the patience to actually work out your preferred overclock range then yes. K skew chips are worth it. Not necessarily the optimal performance/$ in every situation, but definitely a good investment for any computer, IF you meet the afore mentioned criteria.

Tons of people on this forum are computer enthusiasts which means there is going to be a lot of people who like overclocking and love doing it (myself included). That being said its definitely not for everyone. Performance gains aside and money costs aside it is the sort of thing you have to tinker with and set up a bit (although is fairly easy nowadays). If that doesn't interest you then you shouldn't overclock.

Overclocking is only really useful if you have productivity programs that use the CPU to crunch stuff as performance can add a bit of a boost. For gaming, it doesn't really help unless your processor was bottlenecking your graphics card to begin with. And the K parts are high-end enough to not show an appreciable amounts of bottlenecking.

If you have around $100 to spare in the budget (after GPU), a 6700K/Z170/3000MHz RAM is a good way to spend it.

moved to CPUs

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.