In regards to the 290 and 290x

OlekKing

So i've been saving up money and recently sold my 680 because i'm looking to upgrade my graphics department, i've been pretty excited about the 290x but it looks like it will be priced far more than most people, including me, expected, i was expecting around 550-600$ but it looks like it will be about the 700+ mark. I also live in Europe so i get fucked even further with the pricing.

My main title will be BF4, i know i'm getting it day one, i know i will be sinking most of my online playtime into it. I have an ASUS 144Hz screen and i've been playing BF3 with a single 680, in order to achieve 144 fps or 120 for 2D Lighboost, i have to set pretty much everything to Low, and i just hate sacrificing that in order for smooth gameplay, it ruins most of the immersion, looks like shit.

So now, i want to play BF4 on Ultra and get 144 fps at the least, i do not want to sacrifice graphics again, so i was sure i was going to get two 290x's, but now that the pricing is pretty much out there, i'm not sure if i can spend that much on two of those cards.

So i've also been looking at the 290 which is 100$ less and i'm wondering if two of those would be enough to get 144 fps in BF4, 1080p, Ultra settings. 

Do you guys think it's worth it to spend the extra cash on two 290x's? Or should i get 1 for starters and see if i manage a second one later on.

I don't expect Mantle to do miracles so it seems that i'll need 2 cards for sure for what i want.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I may be talking out my arse here, but if the difference between the 290 and 290x is just that the x is unlocked, don't bother with it. An extra 100 - 200Mhz won't really make a drastic difference when you have two of them. If I am wrong, ignore me. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

I may be talking out my arse here, but if the difference between the 290 and 290x is just that the x is unlocked, don't bother with it. An extra 100 - 200Mhz won't really make a drastic difference when you have two of them. If I am wrong, ignore me. 

Well they do seem pretty similar, looks like the 290x is just their "Premium" card or whatever.

I'm just scared that this is the same case with the 680 and 670, 670 came out and made the 680 obsolete pretty much, i was quite pissed off since i owned one.

Really unsure what to do.

I'm also wondering on the release date for the non reference cards, from the leaked stuff i've seen the reference cooler doesn't seem very effective and i really want to have my PC ready before BF4 comes out...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Well they do seem pretty similar, looks like the 290x is just their "Premium" card or whatever.

I'm just scared that this is the same case with the 680 and 670, 670 came out and made the 680 obsolete pretty much, i was quite pissed off since i owned one.

Really unsure what to do.

I'm also wondering on the release date for the non reference cards, from the leaked stuff i've seen the reference cooler doesn't seem very effective and i really want to have my PC ready before BF4 comes out...

Why not get one of each?  D: 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

Why not get one of each?  D: 

You mean having a non reference with a reference? If i do that then i'll have different temps and noise levels and won't be able to hit the same clocks...i know there won't be day one after market but i don't want to wait a bunch of weeks either.

You mean having a non reference with a reference? If i do that then i'll have different temps and noise levels and won't be able to hit the same clocks...i know there won't be day one after market but i don't want to wait a bunch of weeks either.

I meant a 290x and a 290. 

I meant a 290x and a 290. 

What's the point in that?

Useless topic IMO , you don't even know what the pricing will be also , we dont have any benchmarks of the cards whatsoever. I thing it's better to close the topic for now and when the benchmarks etc are released to have a look at it again.

Interested in Business and Technology

Useless topic IMO , you don't even know what the pricing will be also , we dont have any benchmarks of the cards whatsoever. I thing it's better to close the topic for now and when the benchmarks etc are released to have a look at it again.

It's not useless, i already have the pricing of the 290 in my country which is around 500€, pricing for the 290x is also in various other EU retailers, and it's 100€ more than the 290.

There's already benchmarks out there that are enough to give an idea of the performance of both cards and specs wise they are really, really close.

It's not useless, i already have the pricing of the 290 in my country which is around 500€, pricing for the 290x is also in various other EU retailers, and it's 100€ more than the 290.

There's already benchmarks out there that are enough to give an idea of the performance of both cards and specs wise they are really, really close.

Why ask us than if you have all the info yourself?

Interested in Business and Technology

The diffirence will be like a 7970 vs. 7950, they even locked approx. 300 cores on the 290. The 290 is 5% faster than 780 according to videocardz.net. Price should be $499.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Why ask us than if you have all the info yourself?

If you're just going to come to my thread to tell me it's useless and i should delete then have your way out of here.

The diffirence will be like a 7970 vs. 7950, they even locked approx. 300 cores on the 290. The 290 is 5% faster than 780 according to videocardz.net. Price should be $499.

Price here in Switzerland is 630 francs = 500€

I see it's the same bullshit $ = € conversion

I'm not going to believe this until the card's are reviewed by a legit reviewer (the 5% faster not cores). I thought the cards were suppose to be released today? Little shaddy...

PSU AX850 Processor 3930k @ 4.2  Motherboard Asus x79 Sabertooth Ram Gskill Ripjaw Z 32gb 2133Mhz GPU EVGA GTX 780 reference HDD 128gb Samsung 840 Pro Monitor Asus pb278q Case 800d Cooler H100i Audio Interface Mbox mini Monitors JBL LSR305's

Price here in Switzerland is 630 francs = 500€

I see it's the same bullshit $ = € conversion

I'm just saying, the $700+ rumored price is for the Bundled pre-order with BF4. The actual card will probably cost around $500 to $620 by itself. Probably $600.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm not going to believe this until the card's are reviewed by a legit reviewer (the 5% faster not cores). I thought the cards were suppose to be released today? Little shaddy...

Exactly, you thought that because of all the rumors, there was never any official dates, all we know is that it comes out before BF4 releases.

I'm just saying, the $700+ rumored price is for the Bundled pre-order with BF4. The actual card will probably cost around $500 to $620 by itself. Probably $600.

Which would be 600+ €, which translates to more than 800$, so yeah, European prices, because obviously a $ = €, 101 conversion.

It's a bit messed up now, they say that AMD will lift the NDA and start shipping once the non-reference models are done and they get a proper answer from NVidia :D.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

It's a bit messed up now, they say that AMD will lift the NDA and start shipping once the non-reference models are done and they get a proper answer from NVidia :D.

... That sounds utterly stupid. 

They said October 3rd. Then they said/implied October 15th. When will the new GPU get here? Seriously AMD. I want to buy it. Just shut up and take my money. >:|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Non reference models? Please tell me everything about the non reference models...

On a side note, is it confirmed that the lines on the reference cooler light up?

... That sounds utterly stupid. 

They said October 3rd. Then they said/implied October 15th. When will the new GPU get here? Seriously AMD. I want to buy it. Just shut up and take my money. >:|

You might want to go ahead and give them your money on a pre-order. Could sell super fast when they do randomly release haha.

PSU AX850 Processor 3930k @ 4.2  Motherboard Asus x79 Sabertooth Ram Gskill Ripjaw Z 32gb 2133Mhz GPU EVGA GTX 780 reference HDD 128gb Samsung 840 Pro Monitor Asus pb278q Case 800d Cooler H100i Audio Interface Mbox mini Monitors JBL LSR305's

You might want to go ahead and give them your money on a pre-order. Could sell super fast when they do randomly release haha.

I would if I could. Newegg's pre-orders aren't available. It still says Coming Soon. I live in the US. I've heard/seen pre-orders available everywhere else (Switzerland, Germany, Europe), but nothing about the US/North America. 

Please direct me to it. It is entirely my intention to pre-order it.

† Christian Member †

I would if I could. Newegg's pre-orders aren't available. It still says Coming Soon. I live in the US. I've heard/seen pre-orders available everywhere else (Switzerland, Germany, Europe), but nothing about the US/North America. 

Please direct me to it. It is entirely my intention to pre-order it.

Oh wow I had no clue. I wonder why that is?

Oh wow I had no clue. I wonder why that is?

Because apparently there is a difference between having it on your site with "Coming Soon" versus actually offering pre-orders like the rest of the world is doing.

I assume it is an NDA thing. It irritates me so...

† Christian Member †