"RESOLVED" Help! Lag spikes and performane degrade

Hi guys, so basically today when I booted up the computer the performace is much worse than yesterday, but I haven't updated anything.My specs are rx 480, i5 6600 clocked at 3.9 GHz (my motherboard overclocked it somehow) and asus 170I pro gaming.  So basically Tf2 is unplayable at 10fps instead of hundreds I had yesterday, during Heaven benchmark the fps jumps from 50 to 10, also it sometimes freezes for a secound or so, and when I watched my gpu usage during test with amd wattman it showed usage spikes from 100 to 0 pretty often.(It didnt do that before) Does anyone have any quick fixes for me before I go to sleep?

If anyone has the same issue try hard resetting your pc. Basically turn it off, take the plug out the wall, wait 10 sec, plug it back in and then turn it on. It fixed the issue for me.

gpu usage.png

Edited by Guest

I was having this issue when I tried to OC my graphics card after crashing it would lock the clock and memory speeds at the lowest it would run (idle speeds). Restarting my computer 2 times worked. 1st time it was still locked.

2 minutes ago, CynicalSalmon said:

Here you go, this should help.

Click for help.

Pretty sure lmgtfy is against the TOS here as it doesn't actually help the OP.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are you using the reference model? get the fan to 100% and test again

It didn't have that problem for 2 months, it started today. So i don't think it is a thermal issue, I also have 5 fans pushing air directly to it. And yes it is a reference.

4 minutes ago, CynicalSalmon said:

Here you go, this should help.

Click for help.

Didin't help

3 minutes ago, SlyTroopah said:

I was having this issue when I tried to OC my graphics card after crashing it would lock the clock and memory speeds at the lowest it would run (idle speeds). Restarting my computer 2 times worked. 1st time it was still locked.

Well I didn't overclock my Gpu and I have restarted a couple times, But I will restart again just to be sure!

3 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

It didn't have that problem for 2 months, it started today. So i don't think it is a thermal issue, I also have 5 fans pushing air directly to it. And yes it is a reference.

thermal pads degrade with time and hi temps, those RX480 reference are just awful 

is it possible the TIM between the GPU and heatsink turned into cement? quite possibly

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Pretty sure lmgtfy is against the TOS here as it doesn't actually help the OP.

2 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Didin't help

It didn't help but neither did little to no information to give a "Quick Fix"

7 minutes ago, SlyTroopah said:

Well I didn't overclock my Gpu and I have restarted a couple times, But I will restart again just to be sure! It worked!

1 minute ago, SlyTroopah said:

Try reinstalling the drivers.

I restarted my pc a couple times and it seems fine now!

3 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

I restarted my pc a couple times and it seems fine now!

Computers have a mind of their own. Work when they want to XD.