question about router and access points

itamar2121

i am planning on buying a new accses point to my house because some areas need a stronger wifi singel and more cables. i have a tp-link tl-wr941nd router and i plan on buying  linkSYS universal media connector wumc710 and i got some qustions (because i really dont know anything about  the subject) that i hoped you could help me with

1.will they work together and in sync? (no need for a seprate wifi for the router and for the accses point

2.is this access point good? or are there any better?

3.is the wifi singel of the access point is as strong as the router i had?

edit:4. is the access point connected to the router by cable or wifi? i cant find any indication about it

thanks in advance for the help

15 minutes ago, itamar2121 said:

-snip-

From what I gather, the WUMC710 is not an access point per se, as it says on the product page : "enables consumers to connect devices such as TVs, Blu-ray DVD players and gaming consoles to stream video content wirelessly".

If you want an access point, you can look here for example : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100158095&IsNodeId=1

Remember to connect your chosen AP to your router via Ethernet, then give your AP the same SSID (name) and security as your existing Wi-Fi and voila !

PS: there are tons of AP's out there, just get something that suits your needs in terms of bandwidth from a reputable brand and you should be fine.

7 minutes ago, Kazetana said:

From what I gather, the WUMC710 is not an access point per se, as it says on the product page : "enables consumers to connect devices such as TVs, Blu-ray DVD players and gaming consoles to stream video content wirelessly".

If you want an access point, you can look here for example : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100158095&IsNodeId=1

Remember to connect your chosen AP to your router via Ethernet, then give your AP the same SSID (name) and security as your existing Wi-Fi and voila !

PS: there are tons of AP's out there, just get something that suits your needs in terms of bandwidth from a reputable brand and you should be fine.

thanks, apperntly i found out myself that this ap isnt connected useing ethernet (which i need).

so i will search for something else but i still need some help, is there any ap that use an ethernet cable to connect and that has about 3-4 ethernet cables going out of it and one that give wifi? i only found ap without multiple ethernets ports which i really need

4 minutes ago, itamar2121 said:

-snip-

Ah I see, you could just get another router and set it to AP mode. Pretty much any router can be turned into an Access point, then you'll have wifi and more ethernet ports

14 minutes ago, Kazetana said:

Ah I see, you could just get another router and set it to AP mode. Pretty much any router can be turned into an Access point, then you'll have wifi and more ethernet ports

i heard that its an old thing and they removed it with newer modles, will buying another router like mine will work and can be used as an ap?

1 hour ago, itamar2121 said:

i heard that its an old thing and they removed it with newer modles, will buying another router like mine will work and can be used as an ap?

Sure you can, the one you already own can also be configured, there are guides online for that.

36 minutes ago, Kazetana said:

Sure you can, the one you already own can also be configured, there are guides online for that.

is it hard? a IT guy i know said its very complicated and not many know how to do it, can someone like me that got no idea in that topic really do it?

Like @Kazetana said you could put a wireless router in an ap mode and use the ports as well

but another way of doing it could be to get an ap and a switch

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

3 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Like @Kazetana said you could put a wireless router in an ap mode and use the ports as well

but another way of doing it could be to get an ap and a switch

I agree - especially for a novice that doesn't really know what you're doing.

Buying an AP and configuring it, is going to be more straight forward then figuring out how to turn a Router into AP mode (If you're lucky, the Router has an AP mode - if it doesn't, you'll have to follow a guide on how to manually disable all the non-AP functions, which can be annoying).

Then, just get a bog-standard, regular Gigabit Ethernet Switch. These are dirt cheap, you can get 5-port Gigabit Switches for like $20 USD or even cheaper sometimes. Switches also come in 8-Port, 16-Port, etc. So just buy a Gigabit Switch with the correct number of ports.

Also, don't bother getting a "Managed Switch". You literally just need to buy the cheapest name-brand Gigabit Switch that has the number of ports you need. Both 5-port and 8-port switches of this type are dirt cheap. TP-Link is my preferred consumer-grade Switch brand, but ASUS, D-Link, Linksys, NetGear, etc, all make good ones too.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Buying an AP and configuring it, is going to be more straight forward then figuring out how to turn a Router into AP mode (If you're lucky, the Router has an AP mode - if it doesn't, you'll have to follow a guide on how to manually disable all the non-AP functions, which can be annoying).

Then, just get a bog-standard, regular Gigabit Ethernet Switch. These are dirt cheap, you can get 5-port Gigabit Switches for like $20 USD or even cheaper sometimes. Switches also come in 8-Port, 16-Port, etc. So just buy a Gigabit Switch with the correct number of ports.

Also, don't bother getting a "Managed Switch". You literally just need to buy the cheapest name-brand Gigabit Switch that has the number of ports you need. Both 5-port and 8-port switches of this type are dirt cheap. TP-Link is my preferred consumer-grade Switch brand, but ASUS, D-Link, Linksys, NetGear, etc, all make good ones too.

so youre saying i should get a gigabit ethernet switch and a ap with no ports and just work with it?

1 minute ago, itamar2121 said:

so youre saying i should get a gigabit ethernet switch and a ap with no ports and just work with it?

Yep.

Plug the AP into your Router. Let it do it's thing.

Plug the switch into your Router too. Now you've got more ports.

Less hassle with configuration and troubleshooting, and it should be fairly straight forward in terms of physically setting it all up.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

and forgot to mention it, maybe its dirt cheap for you but here i can buy 2 of my routers with the same price as a 5 port one

29 minutes ago, itamar2121 said:

and forgot to mention it, maybe its dirt cheap for you but here i can buy 2 of my routers with the same price as a 5 port one

Really? What region are you buying from?

Like, 5-port routers are literally $10-15 USD in North America. Whereas a decent router is $100+. Sure you can buy $40 or less routers, but they're utter garbage (esp. on the WIFI side of things) generally.

26 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Really? What region are you buying from?

Like, 5-port routers are literally $10-15 USD in North America. Whereas a decent router is $100+. Sure you can buy $40 or less routers, but they're utter garbage (esp. on the WIFI side of things) generally.

im actully from israel and we use shekels here (1 shekel=around 3.5$) and my router cost 200 shekels while the 5 port cost 390 shekels.....yap

12 minutes ago, itamar2121 said:

im actully from israel and we use shekels here (1 shekel=around 3.5$) and my router cost 200 shekels while the 5 port cost 390 shekels.....yap

It costs ~$110 for a 5-port Switch? Not a 5-port router, but just a plain jane, 5-port switch?

That's difficult to fathom.

So something like this is $110?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-Unmanaged-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B005XI75UM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473633307&sr=8-4&keywords=tp-link+5-port+gigabit+switch

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

It costs ~$110 for a 5-port Switch? Not a 5-port router, but just a plain jane, 5-port switch?

That's difficult to fathom.

So something like this is $110?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-Unmanaged-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B005XI75UM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473633307&sr=8-4&keywords=tp-link+5-port+gigabit+switch

yap something like that, in israel some prices are WAY HIGH then what they should be. and i ended up buying a different tp-link router and makeing it into an ap so everything is fine! thanks for the help

6 hours ago, itamar2121 said:

yap something like that, in israel some prices are WAY HIGH then what they should be. and i ended up buying a different tp-link router and makeing it into an ap so everything is fine! thanks for the help

I sincerely feel sorry for your prices - that's actually insane that a $20 piece of hardware would cost $110 there. Glad you got it worked out though :)