is this normal?

Go to solution Solved by adm0n,

hmm, they still might be able to help you, if you open a support ticket : D but you could try finding an answer in the internet as well.

so my new laptop arrived yesterday (yay!) and when i closed it overnight it was at full charge and not plugged in. when i woke up in the morning, the battery was near dead. i checked the settings and it was set to put it to sleep when i close the lid, but i dont think it is going to sleep. anyone know what the problem is, and how to fix it?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

You say that you don't think it's going to sleep, but can you prove that it didn't go to sleep mode?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What kind of laptop is it? The CPU, OS, and battery will all determine how long the battery will last during sleep.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You say that you don't think it's going to sleep, but can you prove that it didn't go to sleep mode?

there is a status led. when the laptop is on, so is the led, when its sleeping, the led should be blinking, but it stays on. also, the fans dont turn off

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, unidentical said:

What kind of laptop is it? The CPU, OS, and battery will all determine how long the battery will last during sleep.

asus ux31la-us51t. windows 8, i5 4200u and a 49wh lipo battery

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

search for event id 42 in systemlog from source Kernel-Power this event id is created everytime your laptops sleeps if it is not there your laptop didnt goto sleep

press windows key + r and then type "powercfg /batteryreport"

Then you can go to your user directory and look at the batteryreport. If you have trouble understanding 

it you could also upload it for us : D

Just now, Matgeroe said:
search for event id 42 in systemlog from source Kernel-Power this event id is created everytime your laptops sleeps if it is not there your laptop didnt goto sleep

where is system log?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

press windows key + r and then typ "powercfg /batteryreport"

Then you can go to your user directory and look at the batteryreport. If you have trouble understanding 

it you could also upload it for us : D

it pops up for like 1 second and then it closes or crashes, not sure which

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

typ eventviewer in start

left column select windows logs-> system

wait for load.

right column select filter current log _> replace <All event ids> with 42

in the middle you are looking for this: it will show the date and time with the event. 

You can also see the reason e.g. lid close or pwr button

Capture.PNG

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

That is normal. It is just the console opening, generating the report and then closing again. Navigate to your user directory, there should be a HTML file.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

first typ cmd

then in that window typ "powercfg /batteryreport"

That is normal. It is just the console opening, generating the report and then closing again. Navigate to your user directory, there should be a HTML file.

how? i dont know much about this stuff

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

open 'this PC' (windows key + e) then click on local disc C.

From there you search for the folder users and then you should find another folder with your username in that one. 

In your user folder, there is a file called 'battery-report.html'

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

how? i dont know much about this stuff

open explorer ->

click C:\ 

click users

click yourusername

there it should be

2 minutes ago, adm0n said:

From there you search for the folder users and then you should find another folder with your username in that one. 

thx, found it

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, adm0n said:

how can i "send" it to you? i dont know what any of it means. the only thing i understand is that i was wrong about it being  lipo, its just a lion.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, adm0n said:

just click and hold the file, then drag it on the textbox and release it : D

it wont let me copy it. also, is it supposed to open in chrome?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

whatever browser is fine. Then you could click 'choose files' and navigate there manually again

my samsung laptop has always done this, it's something to do with the settings around how far it powers down in sleep mode, there's a few settings you can tweak to make it mostly go away, but it's been too long since i messed with the settings on that laptop for me to remember properly :P

whatever browser is fine. Then you could click 'choose files' and navigate there manually again

it says there was a problem uploading the files

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

it says there was a problem uploading the files

probably cant upload html? try renaming the extension to a .txt

Then you could use any file hoster. For example this one -> https://uploadfiles.io/

https://ufile.io/75109 here you go

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈