Fickle about first build

3 minutes ago, antisleep said:

With Fuwell my build totaled $981

PCThemes = $971

Whadaya know, not even $100 difference.

They do offer wider array of selections and bundles which are great but to make it sound like you're getting ripped off extremely when buying somewhere else is a piece of shit move, especially when he's aware I'm not from SG.

Besides, prices are more accurate with parts chosen from any random local store than making a $700 USD pcpartpicker list.

Disclaimer to mods(just in case): I clearly didn't start this shit ayt, was just trying to help someone out when he showed up all smug with his *local* knowledge.

It's alright. No beef, 'kay? All your replies contributed useful knowledge and I'm grateful. xD May I ask where you're from out of curiosity?

I might come back to this thread once I need help deciding on a case (and maybe a new graphics card later on). I'm pretty glad that there were pretty good replies. Thanks for your inputs and see y'all around!

Okay, so I have decided on the following:

- CPU: i5-6500

- M/B: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H (chose this over the B150 due to SRT since I have an SSD, more external and internal I/O; over the Asus one for slightly better audio (892 vs 887), don't need a USB C... the list goes on)

- RAM: 1 x 8GB Kingston DDR4 RAM 2133 MHZ CL15 (KVR21N15D8/8; I can spend more later on to top up on memory)

- SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB (not M2, in case I decide to replace this SSD and use it as an external hard drive - SATA based enclosures are more common)

- PSU: as before

- Optical drive (just in case I need to boot from a disk): Asus DVD-RW 24x 

- Skipping on graphics now (a friend has a spare Radeon HD5770)

So now I need to decide on a case and I am trying to pick from the following (budget all the way!):

- Corsair Spec 01

- Corsair 100Rcmp

- Fractal Design Core 1500

- Tecware F3 (white)

- Silverstone SP-08

- Cooler Master K282

- Cooler Master Silencio 352

- Cooler Master 311

- Cooler Master 344

- Cooler Master 361 

- Cooler Master N200 (with Window)

Can't really decide because they are so similar in terms of their ergonomics. Anyone has experience with any of these?

14 hours ago, markchui said:

So now I need to decide on a case and I am trying to pick from the following (budget all the way!):

- Corsair Spec 01

- Corsair 100Rcmp

- Fractal Design Core 1500

- Tecware F3 (white)

- Silverstone SP-08

- Cooler Master K282

- Cooler Master Silencio 352

- Cooler Master 311

- Cooler Master 344

- Cooler Master 361 

- Cooler Master N200 (with Window)

Can't really decide because they are so similar in terms of their ergonomics. Anyone has experience with any of these?

I'd easily go with CM Silencio 352.

2. N200 (this over 100r / core 1500 cuz it's significantly cheaper)

3. 100R / Core 1500

4. F3 / PS-08 (for tight budget)

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

6 hours ago, antisleep said:

3. 100R / Core 1500

I see... I narrowed them down to the same set of cases you did. However, I am concerned that the Silencio has little room for cable management after reading some reviews. It's the other cases that I have little knowledge of. Nevertheless, thanks!

6 hours ago, antisleep said:

3. 100R / Core 1500

Btw, what made you rank the Silencio first?

On 9/20/2016 at 0:40 AM, markchui said:

Btw, what made you rank the Silencio first?

Mainly for the nice aesthetics and price(cheaper than 100R and Core 1500 while offering more), the silence is just a bonus.

You're right about the lack of space for cables behind the motherboard tray. Just get a modular PSU (Seasonic M12II 520W or Corsair CX550M) and bundle up most of the cables near the HDD cage. You also have the option to remove the bottom HDD cage to make room for your cables.

If you want to save just go with the N200. There's more room for cables behind the motherboard tray and doesn't require a modular psu.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

I have finally decided on the build and have assembled it with these parts at PCThemes (much thanks to the very helpful people there!):

- CPU: Core i5-6500 (runs on average 10% usage on light apps)

- M/B: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H (micro-ATX form factor, has smart response tech over the B150, also a better on-board sound card, dual-bios)

- RAM: 1x 8GB Kingston DDR4 2133 MHz (currently runs at about 58% on average with light apps; may decide to add more in future although preliminary reading shows little difference especially with the kinds of apps I use)

- SSD: 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo

- HDD: 500 GB 5400 rpm Hitachi (with plans to upgrade in the distant future)

- PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W Modular 80+ Bronze

- Graphics: none (if the next pay comes in, I may decide to purchase a larger monitor AND a Sapphire RX 460)

- Case: Cooler Master N200 (Decided against the Silencio 352 in the end primarily due to cable management issues (I don't like stuffing my cables under the HDD cage - looks a little messy) and slightly higher running temperatures without a dedicated CPU cooler; also much cheaper although that means losing the SD card slot. But, later bought a 3.5" media card reader for SGD 10, which together still made the combo cheaper than a single Silencio 352.)

- Optical drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW (no plans to upgrade)

Still deciding whether I should get a discrete graphics card next time. If so, there's a difficult choice between the Sapphire Nitro RX 460 4GB (going for SGD 225) or the more expensive Zotac GTX 1060 3GB (SGD 299). Thanks for your opinions, as they helped decide what I needed and prompted more reading!

18 hours ago, markchui said:

Still deciding whether I should get a discrete graphics card next time. If so, there's a difficult choice between the Sapphire Nitro RX 460 4GB (going for SGD 225) or the more expensive Zotac GTX 1060 3GB (SGD 299). Thanks for your opinions, as they helped decide what I needed and prompted more reading!

The 1060 is the better price for your money.

17 hours ago, antisleep said:

The 1060 is the better price for your money.

I'm inclined to agree, although pay-day isn't here yet. :P Perhaps then I can stretch my budget for card little bit and go for the 1060.

• 4 months later...

Finally got myself a GTX 1060! And it's the OC V1 from MSI too! Not too bad. Don't wait for benchmarks tho. I'll be too busy. Also a Thermaltake Riing!