1060 vs Rx480

NeoSk11zle

So I have this sick build http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/c2RgBP but I don't know whether if I should go for a GTX 1060 or Rx480. The 1060 has slightly better performance BUT the Rx480 has 8gb of Vram as well as Vulkin 12 'advantages'. I like to play Overwatch, Gta 5, Csgo etc. Most AAA Titles. I also do big projects and stuff, I don't know why that matters but just saying. And Yes I know I have the budget to get a 1070 but my monitor is sh*t, so no problem. If you can help me that would be great and telling me the model like for example, Rx480 strix, would be nice. I also live in New Zealand so use this site to see if my country even has this specific model of the 1060 or 480: http://pricespy.co.nz/ . Thanks 

Just now, GalacticRuler said:

The GTX 1060 will give you better performance now but the RX 480 will last you longer due to the extra VRAM.

How much Vram is good in a game, for example, Overwatch?

Just now, NeoSk11zle said:

How much Vram is good in a game, for example, Overwatch?

With current titles, 4GB is sufficient, but games will get more and more VRAM hungry over time.

With current titles, 4GB is sufficient, but games will get more and more VRAM hungry over time.

So the Rx 480 will be more future-proof...?

So the Rx 480 will be more future-proof...?

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

Get a 6GB variant of 1060. That's my (maybe personal) suggestion.

Ok. lol. I do want my choice to be based on facts but yeah nvidia have strayed me becausue of their RGB products  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

5 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

Exactly.

How much more powerful is the 1060 than the 480? if its around 10% in range then I might get the Rx480 

How much more powerful is the 1060 than the 480? if its around 10% in range then I might get the Rx480 

Generally it's just an extra 1-3 frames.

Generally it's just an extra 1-3 frames.

Really! oh shit, because Rx480's in NZ are cheaper then 1060 so yeah! Thanks

Really! oh shit, because Rx480's in NZ are cheaper then 1060 so yeah! Thanks

Wow, New Zealand is lucky. There's such a high demand for 480s here that the prices are $50 higher than the MSRP.

Wow, New Zealand is lucky. There's such a high demand for 480s here that the prices are $50 higher than the MSRP.

Daymmmmmmmmn, the Rx480's are still expensive her at around 500 NZD which is about 360USD but its better than 600+ NZD graphics cards, 440 USD LOOOOOOOL. THNX

Just now, Canada EH said:

Why cant we just add more VRAM like we do to mobos?

Wait wut Vram on Motherboards...? 

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Why cant we just add more VRAM like we do to mobos?

Because Nivida and AMD are greedy money sharks.

There is no such thing as "future proofing" in the PC world. Just like talking about DX12 and Vulkan. We have no clue what devs will do moving forward or what they do will affect gpus. 

Just now, Reflecting said:

There is no such thing as "future proofing" in the PC world. Just like talking about DX12 and Vulkan. We have no clue what devs will do moving forward or what they do will affect gpus. 

There is to a certain extent. Getting a GTX 1080 will last longer while still maintaining playable performance compared to a RX 460.

Just now, OsuMasterz said:

Just get a Titan X-Pascal, problems solved... except your wallet

Nah m8 you can't even get 1 fps in minesweeper with that card, and minecraft won't even open! First World Problems even though I could use the money I am going to spend on my rig to charity but fuck africa! JK love you africa

Nah m8 you can't even get 1 fps in minesweeper with that card, and minecraft won't even open! First World Problems even though I could use the money I am going to spend on my rig to charity but fuck africa! JK love you africa

Kids in africa could've eaten that Titan...

Whatever's cheaper. In Canada the RX 480 is so overpriced that I went with the cheaper GTX 1060. 

I live in nz too. Ive seen the 480 come down to around 450NZD at pb tech (8gb).. id go for that .. perfect for anything for 1080p , 1440p and even some 4k. Higher resolutions generally means you will need more vram . I wouldn't personally go for the 4gb model of the 480 as its too high priced . if going 4gb might as well go 470 and save a quit a bit of cash. I wouldn't go with the 1060 as i just think the price to performance is not good in nz .. especially with games that support Vulcan coming out. PS, graphics card in NZ are not that overpriced .. only a slight bump. .... expect the gtx 1080. You have to consider in NZ the price includes GST while in other countries like America it doesn't.  Plus consider shipping and the fact you dont get international warranty if you import a card.... you end up with a rx480 costing around 400 or so nzd.. so the store price here is only 50 more..

Just now, Flavlus said:

I live in nz too. Ive seen the 480 come down to around 450NZD at pb tech (8gb).. id go for that .. perfect for anything for 1080p , 1440p and even some 4k. Higher resolutions generally means you will need more vram . I wouldn't personally go for the 4gb model of the 480 as its too high priced . if going 4gb might as well go 470 and save a quit a bit of cash. I wouldn't go with the 1060 as i just think the price to performance is not good in nz .. especially with games that support Vulcan coming out. PS, graphics card in NZ are not that overpriced .. only a slight bump. .... expect the gtx 1080. You have to consider in NZ the price includes GST while in other countries like America it doesn't.  Plus consider shipping and the fact you dont get international warranty if you import a card.... you end up with a rx480 costing around 400 or so nzd.. so the store price here is only 50 more..

Ok, you from Auckland or wellington or Christchurch?

Ok, you from Auckland or wellington or Christchurch?

Auckland. I was asking myself the same thing a couple months ago. I ended up finding a near new GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming edition for 650 NZD shipped on Trade Me. Which as you know wipes the floor with the 1060 .. and even quicker than the 1070.