Looking for cheap linux compatible Ethernet card

SukaroBlue

The Ethernet port on my motherboard is non operational. I think it's either a faulty port or i need extra drivers. I don't think ill find Linux compatible drivers for sense i pulled the board from an old hp system and i do not have the time or patience to try to fix the port (or even look for a problem). So i decided to just take the easy route and get a Ethernet card.  The available expansion ports on the board that aren't being are a PCI slot and a PCIe 1x slot. I'd prefer the card be PCIe but i'll spring for a PCI if it's cheap and good enough. My system is running Ubuntu 15.10. Make sure it's compatible with Linux i'm not paying money for something that doesn't work with my system.

For those who care my system specs are

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650

GPU: GTX 960

RAM: 8 Gb

Error 404 humor not found.

i've never not had linux support ethernet out the box (at least, semi-recent versions of linux), so if you arent certain if it's actually operational in the fitrst place, my bet is it would be a dud.

that said, i'd dare to say all of these should work out the box on linux:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/wired-network-card/#sort=a6&page=1

Pretty much anything Intel (excluding some of their server stuff) will work out of the box. You should be able to find a really cheap 1gb NIC from Intel on eBay.

Spoiler

Main rig specs: i5-6500 (3.2 GHz), Cryorig H5 Universal, EVGA GTX 970 FTW+, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (2133MHz), Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Samsung 950 PRO 256GB, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX, LG 3440x1440 Ultrawide.