Will Screen Tearing Be Bad?

Jack Dvorak

Will screen tearing be bad with a gtx 1070 or 1080 with a 1080p 144hz monitor (NO G-SYNC) playing cs:go, bf1, bo3, bo2, rocket league and city skylines?

I would like a conclusion for each game, for example: cs:go _____, bf1 _____, etc.

You should be fine with V-sync. I see no tearing with it, only problem is the stutttering that can appear sometimes. Nothing gamebreaking for me, less gamebreaking than tearing at least. But even with V-sync on, you won't get the smoothness of G-sync/Freesync

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

4 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

You should be fine with V-sync. I see no tearing with it, only problem is the stutttering that can appear sometimes. Nothing gamebreaking for me, less gamebreaking than tearing at least. But even with V-sync on, you won't get the smoothness of G-sync/Freesync

thank you.

4 hours ago, Jack Dvorak said:

thank you.

You're welcome :) 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

Or turn off v sync and put on frame limiting that's what I stick to because I don't like the input lag from Vsync plus I'm running 75hz. I rarely get tearing. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

Or turn off v sync and put on frame limiting that's what I stick to because I don't like the input lag from Vsync plus I'm running 75hz. I rarely get tearing. 

My yes but 144 is way different from 75....

1 hour ago, Jack Dvorak said:

My yes but 144 is way different from 75....

Yes but most people don't need 144hz....

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

11 hours ago, Jack Dvorak said:

Will screen tearing be bad with a gtx 1070 or 1080 with a 1080p 144hz monitor (NO G-SYNC) playing cs:go, bf1, bo3, bo2, rocket league and city skylines?

I would like a conclusion for each game, for example: cs:go _____, bf1 _____, etc.

I have 144Hz G-sync display (ASUS PG279Q). V-sync is always off.

• CS:GO - G-sync off
  • BF1 (played :)) - G-sync off
  • BF4 -G-sync off
  • Rocket league - G-sync on
  • GTA V - G-sync on
  • Witcher 3 - G-sync on

Basically if the game is really competitive then G-sync is always off, but if you can really enjoy and "take time" playing the game then G-sync gives much smoother picture and it IS better. I personally have not noticed screen tearing when playing competitive games without G-sync.

Hope this helps.

Screen tearing isn't much of an issue with a 144hz monitor, I can easily play with gsync disabled and not notice a difference. If you are really bothered by tearing though, I'd recommend enabling fast sync in the nvidia control panel, it gives all the responsiveness of having vsync turned off, and removes all tearing. Basically no reason not to.

19 hours ago, luckydog32 said:

Screen tearing isn't much of an issue with a 144hz monitor, I can easily play with gsync disabled and not notice a difference. If you are really bothered by tearing though, I'd recommend enabling fast sync in the nvidia control panel, it gives all the responsiveness of having vsync turned off, and removes all tearing. Basically no reason not to.

Thanks