Back to school QA or Information Security(Network)

Redsiskin

Information Security includes MCSA , CCNA , CCSA.

QA its just the ISTQB test

i am having really hard time to choose maybe someone could help with thato.O

“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”

CCNA is nice actually. Pretty nice to know language, altough when you have over 100 switches and routers at play its quite the challenge. Cant talk about the other two, since wont have those.

Are those 3 different options or just a topic you can choose over another, aside from the QA?

Groomlake Authority

it all the Certifications in that course( MCSA , CCNA , CCSA)

“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”

Oh wow. Sounds like a quite more complex experience than the QA, unless those certifications are covering a certain time period at a time. For me, its 2 years of CCNA. Is the 1st course for you 6 years or 3 years with much tighter schedules?

Groomlake Authority

the course is 7month 280 hours 2 times a week and it would be my first. i am thinking about it because it very close to my home 5 minutes walk. get some more knowledge.

26 minutes ago, Redsiskin said:

-snip-

And it covers all those matters? Must be covering the surface then xD. But hey, Knawledge is important and you live nearby!

Groomlake Authority

49 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

CCNA is nice actually. Pretty nice to know language, altough when you have over 100 switches and routers at play its quite the challenge. Cant talk about the other two, since wont have those.

Are those 3 different options or just a topic you can choose over another, aside from the QA?

Wait, what? Do you think CCNA is a language? 

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

-snip-

I hate you man... Cisco IOS is part of it, which is a language.

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I hate you man... Cisco IOS is part of it, which is a language.

I'm sorry, not meaning to sound insulting. No shame in not knowing something; you can't learn if you know everything. CCNA is a certification, not a language. IOS is a software / Operating System (kind of... We can get into weird realms here), not a language. It's arguably more of a software package sitting on-top of the OS.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

-snip-

Because your not coding on Cisco IOS? If you didnt know what i meant, now you must...

Groomlake Authority

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Because your not coding on Cisco IOS? If you didnt know what i meant, now you must...

That's like saying you code Windows. IOS is NOT a programming language. 

-snip-

No its a command language. Okay fine, sorry for not using military satellite GPS pinpoint wording on every post i make. Im not triggered btw if your wondering. 

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

No its a command language. Okay fine, sorry im not gonna use military satellite GPS pinpoint wording on every post i make.

Holy crap, there's no shame in being wrong sometimes, please don't take offense to what I'm saying, there is no offense intended. You aren't just not using exact phrasing, you're using the entirely wrong phrasing. It's like saying switching when you mean state-full inspection, or firewall when you mean potato.

Cisco IOS is NOT A COMMAND LANGUAGE. It is not a language at all.

-snip-

Okay your crazy. What is Cisco IOS to you? A wordpad? 

K ill assume its a wordpad from now on, just for you.

OKAY SORRY, I MEANT THE DAMNED TERMINAL. THE DAMNED CISCO IOS TERMINAL FOR CONFIGURING THE DAMN SWITCHES AND ROUTERS. HAPPY FFS!? NOW IM TRIGGERED

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Okay your crazy. What is Cisco IOS to you? A wordpad? 

K ill assume its a wordpad from now on, just for you.

No... Cisco IOS is a software bundle on it's own... Not a command language or a programming language. It's somewhat close to being an operating system, but not quite. You can execute commands within it, but that does not make it any language. That's like typing ipconfig in cmd and saying that Windows is a programming language.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

-snip-

I use it for one thing only and so does my entire class, configure equipment. Ill leave the rest for the developers.

Groomlake Authority

18 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I use it for one thing only and so does my entire class, configure equipment. Ill leave the rest for the developers.

But that does not make it a programming language. You do not make programs with it, you do not script with it. It is actually a program itself. It is a software bundle that accepts commands and is used for configuration. It is not a command language (TCL is), and it is not a programming language. Even at the level that you're touching in your classes. It's closer to an operating system on it's own. It is written in C. It's actually been ported to Linux, via IOS-XR.

IOS stands for Internetworking Operating System.

It also isn't something that can be applied to non-Cisco equipment, and each version of IOS will have different commands depending on the equipment. I.E. router vs switch will use very different commands. Hell, 2960 vs 2960s vs 2960x will have different commands. Especially 2960x from 2960, since there is over a decade gap in-between those two pieces of equipment. 

Again, none of this is meant to be offensive or abrasive. You have a little misunderstanding about a new concept that you're learning, and I just thought I should correct it so that misunderstanding doesn't stick. It's not semantics either, IOS is very different from a programming language, and not even quite an OS anymore. It's a package of software for switching, routing, and many other things bundled on-top of a multitasking OS. But it is not a programming language in any capacity. I hope this cleared up any confusion you may have had, and gave @Redsiskin some somewhat useful info.

The CCNA is a good slightly-above-entry-level certification. Learning enough to get it will give you a very solid base in general networking, and a solid base in entry-level Cisco stuff. I have it, and would recommend devoting some time into getting it.

:/when the QA guys will respond

I would say go for the Information Security course. All three of those certs will help you out a lot more, imo, than the class with the single cert. Maybe circle back to the other one at another time but go for the class with the 3 certs first plus the three will give you more options as to what you want to go with in the future.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

CCNA is a very valuable course and gives you the essential information platform to build on. There is a lot of information contained in the course and if you truly master it you will easily be able to self learn from that point or take on more specialized courses. There are many networking/security people I have meet that still lack the embedded knowledge within CCNA which can be frustrating at times, even ones that have the cert.

I think everyone in IT that is in a technical role should have CCNA, whether your in a networking role or not i.e. DBA. It will help immensely even if only once but that one time will be worth it, guarantee it will help almost every day though.

Getting comfortable with Cisco equipment and having the knowledge that comes with getting your CCNA helps picking up on other IOS syntax's of Cisco or even other vendors like Juniper,Ciena and Alcatel a lot faster. Its interesting to see the different structure and features each vendor uses.