GTX 1070 Superclocked incompatible?

ktwAudio

Hey guys,

Earlier this week I ordered an EVGA Superclocked GTX 1070 - I'm really not all that clued up, I'll freely admit. I had talked with some friends whom know more about it than I do, and nothing was ever mentioned that there might be an issue. When looking up the specs and requirements before ordering all I saw really was that it requires 150W power and recommends a 500W PSU - I have a Corsair Bronze 650W PSU.

My problem: I received and installed the card on Wednesday. Later that day while playing a VR game the PC suddenly shut off and restarted. Then today I wasn't really doing much other than browsing the net and text-chatting over Discord when it happened again. As this has only started since installing the card, I'm worried somethings not sitting well together and obviously I don't want it to cause any damage to any of the parts if something is conflicting (mostly thinking about power issues). Spoke again to a few others; one thinks it might be my PSU isn't big enough, but the majority is voting that my CPU isn't up to the factory-overclocked card (from what I can see, both my motherboard and CPU are listed as compatible for a standard 1070).

Any advice and/or information is greatly appreciated. I'm keeping fingers crossed it's not a CPU issue because upgrading that would mean upgrading my motherboard and RAM as well, and after getting the 1070 I can't really afford it at the moment. But needs - must, etc..

The other specs of my PC are:

- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Intel i5-3570K 3.40GHz

- ASUS Sabertooth Z77
- 16GB DDR3

how long has your PSU been used? also what ALL do you have running off that PSU? (include hard drives and other things like that) also is anything OC'ed at all?

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

Other than the GPU being factory-overclocked, nothing else is. I've been using the PSU for about 3.5 years.

The PSU is running motherboard, CPU, and GPU as previously mentioned. Also a single-slot USB 3.0 PCIe card, and 3 HDD (2 internal: 1TB, 500GB; 1 external: 1TB). Actually just thinking about external parts being powered via USB, there is the HTC Vive (but that isn't on unless I'm using it, which I wasn't during the second shut down), and an audio interface (Digidesign Mbox 2).