Radio Station Inventory Management

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

What you are looking for is a label printer and self adhesive labels. You print on to them barcodes, QR codes, text/numbers what ever you want. I would suggest just using barcodes as QR codes generally are for holding much more complex data than just identification numbers etc.

There are different types of self adhesive labels, A4 sheets with multiple stickers per page or label tape reels that go in proper label printers. Highly suggest you go in to your local office supply store and have a talk with them about options and so you can see in person your options.

We barcode everything: Computers, Laptops, Monitors, Printers, Tables, Chairs, Doors etc pretty much everything.

https://www.officemax.co.nz/Office-Products/Labels-Label-Makers

https://www.brother.co.nz/Public/ProductSubCategory/40/42?page=1&buyable=True&pageSize=10&sortBy=rrp

Also remember you can print more than one barcode/QR on a single label if using the A4 sheet option and cut them.

I do tech for my college's radio station. We're implementing cataloging system. We have barcode scanners and the proper software. We were discussing how to manage vinyl, and I remembered some LTT moving vlog where they showed some scanners and QR code stickers. Considering the variability of databased records of vinyl and how often vinyl lacks barcodes, I think affixing little stickers like LTT's inventory system would be good to try out. Only problem is, I can't find where they got those stickers, or if they made them themselves then how. My google-fu has proved ineffective. Does anyone know about this sort of thing? Finding standard barcode stickers is easy enough, but those little QR code stickers seem ideal. Even general tips about cataloging and inventory are nice too, but those QR code stickers are the goal here.

If I've created this post incorrectly or in the wrong place, please let me know. It didn't seem to fit elsewhere.

My store sells barcode scanners and they often include software with them. Alternatively, something like this may be useful if you don't need a ton of them.

On 9/8/2016 at 10:34 PM, CommonTone said:

I do tech for my college's radio station. We're implementing cataloging system. We have barcode scanners and the proper software. We were discussing how to manage vinyl, and I remembered some LTT moving vlog where they showed some scanners and QR code stickers. Considering the variability of databased records of vinyl and how often vinyl lacks barcodes, I think affixing little stickers like LTT's inventory system would be good to try out. Only problem is, I can't find where they got those stickers, or if they made them themselves then how. My google-fu has proved ineffective. Does anyone know about this sort of thing? Finding standard barcode stickers is easy enough, but those little QR code stickers seem ideal. Even general tips about cataloging and inventory are nice too, but those QR code stickers are the goal here.

If I've created this post incorrectly or in the wrong place, please let me know. It didn't seem to fit elsewhere.

I know in industry they use Microsoft DAX which covers a wide variety of software inclduing an Inventory management system if you need to catalog a lot of stuff. 

Edited by W-L

Have the scanner. Have the software. Do not have little serialized QR code stickers. We're talking a radio station's vinyl collection; thousands of records to put in a database. The online "make a QR code" thing is for other applications, like linking a website. I mean, I suppose one avenue of attack is making them myself, but I'm just shocked that I can't find this sort of thing online. I can find normal rectangle barcode labels no problem, but those are just too big to slap on everything.

What you are looking for is a label printer and self adhesive labels. You print on to them barcodes, QR codes, text/numbers what ever you want. I would suggest just using barcodes as QR codes generally are for holding much more complex data than just identification numbers etc.

There are different types of self adhesive labels, A4 sheets with multiple stickers per page or label tape reels that go in proper label printers. Highly suggest you go in to your local office supply store and have a talk with them about options and so you can see in person your options.

We barcode everything: Computers, Laptops, Monitors, Printers, Tables, Chairs, Doors etc pretty much everything.

https://www.officemax.co.nz/Office-Products/Labels-Label-Makers

https://www.brother.co.nz/Public/ProductSubCategory/40/42?page=1&buyable=True&pageSize=10&sortBy=rrp

Also remember you can print more than one barcode/QR on a single label if using the A4 sheet option and cut them.