Dell Optiplex 9030

Legendaryk4

Good afternoon,

At work I have a Dell Optiplex 9030 touch screen with a broken screen. I contacted dell to retrieve the part number to replace the screen. I went on ebay, ordered said screen, and realized that it did not include the glass front. I contacted dell again and they said that the LCD and the glass front share the same part number as they come "assembled". Obviously the screen I purchased is from a disassembled computer so it will not include the glass front and I could not find one on the internet anywhere. If for some reason the computer does not display after replacing the LCD would it be possible to somehow convert the all-in-one into a case? I realize some modifications would have to take place, but what are some walls I may hit?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You!

6 minutes ago, Legendaryk4 said:

Good afternoon,

At work I have a Dell Optiplex 9030 touch screen with a broken screen. I contacted dell to retrieve the part number to replace the screen. I went on ebay, ordered said screen, and realized that it did not include the glass front. I contacted dell again and they said that the LCD and the glass front share the same part number as they come "assembled". Obviously the screen I purchased is from a disassembled computer so it will not include the glass front and I could not find one on the internet anywhere. If for some reason the computer does not display after replacing the LCD would it be possible to somehow convert the all-in-one into a case? I realize some modifications would have to take place, but what are some walls I may hit?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You!

That's a question about a very specific/specialized computer.  Realize that the only people that would know for sure are the ones that have had that computer and have done what you're asking. 

That being said, every one else can speculate/guess.  

I would say that the issues you'd come across are getting standardized components to fit properly in a case that was designed by Dell for parts that were [very likely] also designed by Dell.  

If you can get them to fit, cooling might end up being the next issue after that.  PC manufacturers often design their internals (components AND fans/heatsinks) to work specifically with their enclosure. 

1 hour ago, TheBestUserName said:

That's a question about a very specific/specialized computer.  Realize that the only people that would know for sure are the ones that have had that computer and have done what you're asking. 

That being said, every one else can speculate/guess.  

I would say that the issues you'd come across are getting standardized components to fit properly in a case that was designed by Dell for parts that were [very likely] also designed by Dell.  

If you can get them to fit, cooling might end up being the next issue after that.  PC manufacturers often design their internals (components AND fans/heatsinks) to work specifically with their enclosure. 

Makes sense. Cooling was going to be my main concern, I guess it would be trial and error. Maybe i can find the specific sizing for the mobo and reference cases to see which would work, but like you said Dell probably engineered each component. So to be able to find a case that would work is going to be a challenge.

14 minutes ago, Legendaryk4 said:

Makes sense. Cooling was going to be my main concern, I guess it would be trial and error. Maybe i can find the specific sizing for the mobo and reference cases to see which would work, but like you said Dell probably engineered each component. So to be able to find a case that would work is going to be a challenge.

It is most likely a very big motherboard considering the size of the unit, and may be hard to put into another case.

Also make sure it has some sort of external video out, if not then you cannot attach a monitor.

No one will sell just the glass because it is supposed to be part of the touchscreen, just like how phones are, and while you can replace just the glass it is easier to just replace it and the rest of the screen.

Why not get a new screen from dell who will sell it with the glass?

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •