New GTX 1060 build (Need 2 ddr5 8gb sticks with leds)

nzpancakes
Just now, nzpancakes said:

Seriously? well thanks for clearing that up

Yeah only the motherboard. Which is ddr4.

4 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

The GPU doesn't impact the type of RAM you use. The vRAM on the GPU is entirely separate from system RAM.

Your board will use DDR4 RAM. 

You have options like the Corsair Vengeance LED RAM: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/PxH48d/corsair-vengeance-led-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-2666-memory-cmu16gx4m2a2666c16r

EDIT: There's also the Avexir Core series. 

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

Yeah only the motherboard. Which is ddr4.

So i could use ddr3 sticks then if i got a different motherboard? Because i have two of those lying around.

So i could use ddr3 sticks then if i got a different motherboard?

If you got a socket 1150, or z97 h97 board, then yes you could. But socket 1151 and 2011-3 require ddr4.

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

If you got a socket 1150, or z97 h97 board, then yes you could. But socket 1151 and 2011-3 require ddr4.

Any recommendations then? xD

Not strictly. There are LGA 1151 board that support DDR3 (technically only DDR3L, but regular can work). They tend to be lower end, though. 

Are you sticking with the cpu and motherboard you have right now?

If you are, again, gskill and corsair are my recommendations. 

I'd stick with the more recent socket (LGA 1150 is a dead socket) and CPU and buy some DDR4 RAM. 

Are you sticking with the cpu and motherboard you have right now?

If you are, again, gskill and corsair are my recommendations. 

I will be sticking with the cpu but will be changing the motherboard to something that holds ddr3 because i already have 2 sticks of 8gb and i dont want to spend extra

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Not strictly. There are LGA 1151 board that support DDR3 (technically only DDR3L, but regular can work). They tend to be lower end, though. 

Regular DDR3 doesn't work in 1151. DDR4 has more pins, and the notches are in different locations.

1 minute ago, nzpancakes said:

I will be sticking with the cpu but will be changing the motherboard to something that holds ddr3 because i already have 2 sticks of 8gb and i dont want to spend extra

Then you can't use that cpu. That cpu is a socket 1151, and ddr3 is on 1150.

Regular DDR3 doesn't work in 1151. DDR4 has more pins, and the notches are in different locations.

They make ddr3L skylake boards which share the same pinout as ddr3, but runs at a lower voltage.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

ram is pretty cheap now, sell the ddr3, and get some ddr4.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

They make ddr3L skylake boards which share the same pinout as ddr3, but runs at a lower voltage.

I assumed he was talking about that ddr3 works on skylake boards.

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'd stick with the more recent socket (LGA 1150 is a dead socket) and CPU and buy some DDR4 RAM. 

So pretty much im stuck with upgrading to ddr4 and keeping everything else or switching my motherboard and cpu to be compatible with ddr3?

1 minute ago, nzpancakes said:

So pretty much im stuck with upgrading to ddr4 and keeping everything else or switching my motherboard and cpu to be compatible with ddr3?

Yeah.

10 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

All of these boards are LGA 1151 and use DDR3L/DDR3 

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=30&L=3

Skylake only officially supports DDR4 and DDR3L (not on the same board, obviously), but there are boards that use DDR3 slots and standard DDR3 can work on the DDR3L boards, just not officially supported. 

2 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

Not entirely. There are some LGA 1151 boards that will work with the 6600K and DDR3, but they're all lower end boards. None of them support overclocking AFAIK, so you'd not be using the CPU to its full potential. 

9 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

I assumed he was talking about that ddr3 works on skylake boards.

There are Skylake boards that use DDR3 slots. They're meant to be used with DDR3L, but DDR3 can work just fine. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Not entirely. There are some LGA 1151 boards that will work with the 6600K and DDR3, but they're all lower end boards. None of them support overclocking AFAIK, so you'd not be using the CPU to its full potential. 

I see.... So i guess Ill just go with buying the ddr4 because i would like to try and overclock it. Thanks for the help though!