2tb not working!

Winks

I have a 2tb drive that was used when I got it (dont know how long or by who) it was working great but then a few days ago I needed to save a file and my drive wasnt showing up in Windows Explorer and when turn on my PC I can hear the drive making some noise (like its trying to spin and then stops) and when my PC is booted up nothing is heard from it. What im wondering is how can I fix this or is the drive dead?

Generally when drives have that behavior it's not a good sign, but let's try anyways: download Diskovery (free application) and see if the hdd is shown

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

By the way, is it internal or external?

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

1 minute ago, LionSpeck said:

Generally when drives have that behavior it's not a good sign, but let's try anyways: download Diskovery (free application) and see if the hdd is shown

When I go into disk manager (Control panel > System and Security > Create and format hard disk partitions) I only see my 150gb main and my DVD Drive. Also it is internal. 

2 minutes ago, Winks said:

When I go into disk manager (Control panel > System and Security > Create and format hard disk partitions) I only see my 150gb main and my DVD Drive. Also it is internal. 

Diskovery many times sees drives that Windows doesn't even recognize in the Partition manager, so I'd give that a try anyways

Just now, LionSpeck said:

Diskovery many times sees drives that Windows doesn't even recognize in the Partition manager, so I'd give that a try anyways

Im currently busy but when im able to get to that PC i'll try it. Thanks for the imput.

I have downloaded and run Diskovery but it is only showing my 150gb main and my DVD Drive

18 minutes ago, Winks said:

I have downloaded and run Diskovery but it is only showing my 150gb main and my DVD Drive

That's not a good sign, I'm starting to think the drive actually died; when disks do that they generally produce noisy and unusual sounds and they might stop spinning. And of course they're not shown in the OS because there's nothing alive to show. Used drives are never good deals because you can't know what's the drive condition. At that point the only way to recover data 100% sure is giving it to a company that recovers data from dead or wiped disks, but that would cost a good amount of money. Again, I THINK the drive may be dead, because of the similar behaviors to dead drives, but I can't be completely sure

It could mean that it's not receiving enough power (which is weird for an internal drive) or that it's broken. @LionSpeck is right, it's probably gone. If you had important data on it don't try to power it on again and contact a data recovery firm, if you don't and it's in warranty have it replaced by the manufacturer.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thanks for the imput, unfortunately my dad had the drive in sitting somewhere and when I needed more storage than 150gb he gave me that drive, I'll see about recovery but the only thing "important" i had on there was a bunch of steam game files and maybe a few other things i cant think of.