[RESOLVED] Sister Uploading Videos Wrecks My Internet

Staki

*EDIT*

After much tinkering, setting up a QoS with my computer placed under highest priority seems to have fixed the problem. I tested my ping/loss/choke, while she did a sample upload and my connection was not affected at all.

*END EDIT*

Information: 

Main Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Second Router: TP-Link AC1200

Modem: Ubee (Modem only) provided by TWC (no idea what the model number)

Speedtest bandwidth: 38mb/s down 6 mb/s up (paying for 50 down 5 up)

Problem #1 (Main problem): When my sister uploads videos to YouTube I go from 20-40 ping to a constant 250-350 with 50% choke/loss. This is terrible for me because I play competitive games online, a lot. She uploads daily(or near daily) at sporadic times and the times I play are also sporadic as it is mainly determined by my friend's schedules.

Problem #2 (Somewhat unimportant side problem): My dad's computer causes internet spikes when he uses the internet, I'm assuming when he loads new web pages, but we never pinpointed the actual cause. I have him placed on another router operating in a separate network from the main router, which has fixed the problem (mostly, sometimes there are still small spikes, not sure if it's his pc or my sister's though).

Background: This wasn't an issue back when we had a 2 in 1 modem/router provided from TWC that was an Ubee. I was plugged directly into the modem and everyone else was plugged into a TP-Link AC1200 router. There are 5 people on our network, all with their own dedicated PCs. Four are on Ethernet (as am I) and one is wireless. My sister would upload videos back then and I would never experience any loss or choke as a result.

Current Configuration: The Netgear R7000 is plugged directly into the modem and the TP-Link AC1200 is operating under a seperate network through the Netgear. My sister and I are both plugged directly into the netgear.

Potential Solution?: The router isn't strong enough to handle the amount of traffic she sends when she uploads videos to YouTube. Switching her to the other router might solve the issue, but it would take configuring the home network a bit to open the space for that, that's why I'm asking here first.

Other Information: We live in the country and we have the best internet plan available here, the 50 down 5 up from TWC. They are the only provider unless we want to downgrade to rates like 10mbs down and 1mb up.

I would prefer to not rely on QoS, seeing as we didn't need it before we changed the router configuration.

12 minutes ago, Staki said:

Problem #1 (Main problem):  She uploads daily(or near daily) at sporadic times and the times I play are also sporadic as it is mainly determined by my friend's schedules

Your actual problem is your inability to work it out and schedule times where you can both do the activities you want without interfering with each other. You can't have your cake (sporadic timings) and eat it too (always have complete and full access without conflicts).

Just now, MaxBunny said:

Your actual problem is your inability to work it out and schedule times where you can both do the activities you want without interfering with each other. You can't have your cake (sporadic timings) and eat it too (always have complete and full access without conflicts).

I'm aware proper scheduling would make this a null point, but that's not entirely possible as sometimes she has to reupload videos or uploads can sometimes take long amounts of time even after compression.

I probably wouldn't be looking for a solution for this if it weren't for the fact that this wasn't a problem before getting the new router. The fact that this was not a problem at all before, but now is, after upgrading the network, annoys me. Especially, because I know it, should, be possible to get my network back to a state where she can upload without affecting my latency.

So pretty much you say you can't change times and can't use the one thing that would work....... If you want it to work use Qos use your MAC address makes it a lot simpler don't set priority to the highest (it will choke other connections). I'm sorry but QOS is the bandwidth controller want no lag use it if she just uploads daily it might add literally not extra time to her upload. Qos says in short what goes first these can be changed my router lets me change video, web, gaming (only a few old games), voice (skype), and general (unknown) stuff. sorry but there's no other options except asking her to upload at a certain time. Good luck.

You were wired in directly before, from what I understand. That gave you priority as far as packets are concerned.

You were sharing the internet connection between your computer and the other 1200 router. Routers try to divide the load equally as best they can. When you were plugged in directly you had a better position in the network hierarchy. The only way to mimic that is with QoS. The other solution is to install something like https://www.netlimiter.com/ this on your sisters computer to slow down her connection.

I would add that gaming is a low bandwidth activity and it is sporadic which also makes it difficult for the router to balance properly. If you were also uploading a file, both of you would get equal sharing of bandwidth in that scenario.

Finally, it is possible that her uploading congests your wireless- just because there is interference that you can't account for and such. But it is mostly the fact that she is uploading.

Your solutions:

Talk to her and schedule her uploads- to say, at night.

Use a wired connection

Use QoS

Limit your sisters upload speed via some program (like netlimiter) Disclamer: I haven't used this particular program. Please research before using

Try using an wifi AC adapter? That may help. The faster your link speed, the less issues you should have, generally.

Netlimiter/Netbalancer her upload to 70%.

Leaving enough pipe allowance to get data through without much hiccup.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz