Best laptop for programming 2016?

170698_1454180949

I have tried, and failed, trying to find the best laptop that provides a keyboard you can work on for hours at a time, and a screen that you provides substantial amount of real-estate.

I tested out the Dell XPS 15, but it was too big to fit on a table in the airplane and too big to carry around, battery was drained well to quick.

I want to hear what you guys have had good experiences with, what laptop do you use? What is portable, has 16 GB ram, 4+ cores, 500 GB storage, 14 inch or less. Anything above that is not portable enough.

I will be using it on flights (London to CPH and back), and coding in airports, trains etc.

I mainly program in PHP, C and Lua.

What do you code on, what can you recommend?

Surface book?

I do Pascal and C++ and some Java too

2 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I do Pascal and C++ and some Java too

I had one of those, the kickstand fell off the table in the back in the airplane. So I trashed it.

1 minute ago, 170698_1454180949 said:

I had one of those, the kickstand fell off the table in the back in the airplane. So I trashed it.

Some convertible maybe? 

If you don't mind touchscreen. They are small enough and portable to carry on

Lenovo Yoga 900, HP Spectre, ASUS Tbook

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

Some convertible maybe? 

If you don't mind touchscreen. They are small enough and portable to carry on

I would rather not, when I had the XPS 15 I never used the touch screen, so it just felt useless to have to begin with.

I know people are going to hate me for saying it, but maybe a mac is a good idea. In addition to regular programming languages, you can test Swift, and it runs on Linux, giving you more access.

For windows laptops, I am currently using an HP Elitebook, with an i5 and 16gb RAM. Decent, but I am going to try upgrading to something with a better display/power soon, as it has a 1366p display and only 180GB of storage. A better, higher-end model of this may work for you.

I currently am learning Java.

Note that I'm a high school student, so my requirements are probably much different than most- I don't have much money to spend and this laptop is decent for my basic needs and basic programming.

I recommend a thinkpad X carbon series workstation. It is really power efficient and small enough for an airplane table (i've done it before). Along with that, if you can splurge for a model with the intel Vpro workstation processor, it will be more than enough 

2 minutes ago, 170698_1454180949 said:

I would rather not, when I had the XPS 15 I never used the touch screen, so it just felt useless to have to begin with.

Acer Predator 21x has mechanical keyboard. Yeah I know it won't fit but for information

HP Spectre is a great laptop for small size

Yoga from LEnovo is also worth looking at or check some of their ThinkPad too.

2 minutes ago, akskl said:

I know people are going to hate me for saying it, but maybe a mac is a good idea. In addition to regular programming languages, you can test Swift, and it runs on Linux, giving you more access.

For windows laptops, I am currently using an HP Elitebook, with an i5 and 16gb RAM. Decent, but I am going to try upgrading to something with a better display/power soon, as it has a 1366p display and only 180GB of storage. A better, higher-end model of this may work for you.

I currently am learning Java.

Note that I'm a high school student, so my requirements are probably much different than most- I don't have much money to spend and this laptop is decent for my basic needs and basic programming.

Thanks for the input, I will have a look at it!

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

I recommend a thinkpad X carbon series workstation. It is really power efficient and small enough for an airplane table (i've done it before). Along with that, if you can splurge for a model with the intel Vpro workstation processor, it will be more than enough 

Does it come with the famous Lenovo keyboard?

Just now, 170698_1454180949 said:

Thanks for the input, I will have a look at it!

Does it come with the famous Lenovo keyboard?

yes, the og IBM thinkpad keyboard with the red rubber thingy in the middle and red buttons

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

yes, the og IBM thinkpad keyboard with the red rubber thingy in the middle and red buttons

Sexy, will add it into consideration! I am likely going to wait until Dell hopefully refreshes their lineup with Kabylake, and see what Linus thinks of the new XPS 13.

Just now, Kevinhkn said:

I found this, but I have no idea on how the keyboard feels :/

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460p/?sb=:00000025:00003DE6:

It has a i7 6820hq

16 ram 512 gb ssd sata3

gtx940mx

and its 14 inch 1440p, is 14 inch too big?

I did consider that, but its quite thick. Nice IO though :D

Just now, akskl said:

ew

Get outta here! Lenovo makes some of the best business class laptops in the world.

1 minute ago, akskl said:

ew

You might be a little too young to know the feeling of the original ibm thinkpad keyboard

Sexy, will add it into consideration! I am likely going to wait until Dell hopefully refreshes their lineup with Kabylake, and see what Linus thinks of the new XPS 13.

Get outta here! Lenovo makes some of the best business class laptops in the world.

The T460p isn't the one i have, but the keyboard is the exact same and it has a great feeling. Just like the original ibm thinkpad keyboard. (i still have one from 1988 that still runs)

Would you consider dual core hyperthreaded i7 or do you realy want the 4 cores

Just now, Kevinhkn said:

Personally, for programming, hyperthreaded is fine because you probably only run 1 or 2 vms at once at the most. For me, an intel Vpro works just fine with amazing speeds

2 minutes ago, 170698_1454180949 said:

Me sitting here with an i3 5th gen and no dedicated gpu. It's an HP... 

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

The T460p isn't the one i have, but the keyboard is the exact same and it has a great feeling. Just like the original ibm thinkpad keyboard. (i still have one from 1988 that still runs)

Yeah, I got an old IBM ThinkPad T60 laying around, the keyboard and hardware still feels the same after all these years.

1 minute ago, Kevinhkn said:

Well, I can't keep track of today's naming. Everything is an i7 apparently. I guess 2 cores + HT is fine :D