My first build

Halex_CH

Hello guys

So I want to build my own pc and already choose the parts I want. I will only use this PC for gaming with 2 Monitors on 1080p and 1 runs at 144hz. So please tell me what you would pick different and don't go too much higher with the price.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Z26ntJ

I'm planning on placing this PC onto my desk. Do you think this is possible?

Build looks good except I don't see why you're getting an m.2 850 evo. Also, I'd recommend going for a better PSU. That one isn't bad, but it isn't great either considering the price of your build. Try something like this instead: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nYWY9W

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Build looks good except I don't see why you're getting an m.2 850 evo. Also, I'd recommend going for a better PSU. That one isn't bad, but it isn't great either considering the price of your build. Try something like this instead: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nYWY9W

I'm not into theese things that much and I don't see what the difference is. Can you explain?

9 minutes ago, Halex_CH said:

So please tell me what you would pick different and don't go too much higher with the price.

What are you planning to use the PC for other than gaming?

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

Just now, LionSpeck said:

What are you planning to use the PC for other than gaming?

Yeah I forgot to write that I edited the post now. I will only use it for gaming. I'm not into creating content or streaming or anything like that. Just gaming with friends.

7 minutes ago, Halex_CH said:

Yeah I forgot to write that I edited the post now. I will only use it for gaming. I'm not into creating content or streaming or anything like that. Just gaming with friends.

For that average utilization, I honestly think the i7 is overkill, I would go with an i5 6600k; something similar I would do with the M.2 SSD, I think it's not a good bang for the buck for that use case; I would go with an 850 PRO SATA 6Gbps and with all the money you save pump a bit more on the GPU, maybe getting a 1070.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

2 minutes ago, Halex_CH said:

Okay, in that case I'd get rid of the i7, and go with a 6600-k or 6600. You get basically the same preference in game. Use the extra cash to get a 1070 instead of the 1060. The _60 cards tend to be very under powered compared to their _70 counterparts for not much more money. 

Which 1070 can you recommend me? The founders edition or which would you take?

1 minute ago, Halex_CH said:

NEVER THE FOUNDERS EDITION. Go with the MSI gtx 1070 Gaming z 8 G. If you want to spend $10 less go with the gaming X 8 G

Most will perform in a close margin so look for aesthetics.

If you dont want a i7 k sku you could get a 6700 non k for "future proofing"

Maybe get a 400c instead of the 600c as the 600c is full tower and with 1gpu that is a bit wasted

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 minute ago, Thelonious said:

NEVER THE FOUNDERS EDITION. Go with the MSI gtx 1070 Gaming z 8 G. If you want to spend $10 less go with the gaming X 8 G

Ok I'll go for the MSI gtx 1070 Gaming X 8G.

So I have another question what do you guys think about a non liquid cooling for the CPU. Do I really need the liquid one ?

The FE is overpriced for what it gives you, as opposed to the older Reference models. Any card different than the FE is probably going to give you more for the price, I'm going to list some below:
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fPFXsY/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1070-o8g
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/YpH48d/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-g1-gaming-video-card-gv-n1070g1-gaming-8gd
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/NJM323/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-video-card-geforce-gtx-1070-armor-8g-oc
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/j8rcCJ/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-video-card-rog-strix-gtx1070-o8g-gaming

Ok I'll go for the MSI gtx 1070 Gaming X 8G.

So I have another question what do you guys think about a non liquid cooling for the CPU. Do I really need the liquid one ?

Not really, and if you're not going to overclock then you really don't need it. So if you get the 6700 or 6600 then just get a Coolermaster 212x Evo or something like that. 

19 minutes ago, Halex_CH said:

I'm not into theese things that much and I don't see what the difference is. Can you explain?

For the SSD the only difference between the two is the m.2 one doesn't require wires but also costs 10 pounds more. That's why I added the SATA one, since it's cheaper and gives you the same performance. As for the power supply, the one I chose is better quality to it's less likely to fail on you. I also know the EVGA PSU I chose has a 10 year warranty, so even if that PSU does fail on your and even takes your whole system with you, EVGA will refund you your whole system.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Isn't a i7 way better for gaming at 1080p and 144hz?

Not really. The only advantages are not gaming related: you can transcode & render a lot faster, but games don't do that.

Is there a way to get a cheaper motherboard or is this one worth the money?

4 minutes ago, Halex_CH said:

Isn't a i7 way better for gaming at 1080p and 144hz?

I'm not sure if you're going to get that big of a difference between a hyper threaded I7 and the overclocked i5. you can always just go for the 6700. Either way, you're going to get a better frame rate with the 1080 or 1070 over the better CPU. 

I'd go with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130873&cm_re=MSI_z170-_-13-130-873-_-Product

But in the long run it's up to personal preference and cost. As long as you have the z170 chip set you'll be fine. 

3 minutes ago, Halex_CH said:

The motherboard in pounds costs more than in euros or USD, but tbh I think it's worth the money; the one and only time I tried saving money on the motherboard, it ended fried because the non OC'd CPU drew too much power. Anyways, 100 - 150 $ is a pretty average price for decent mobos

1 minute ago, LionSpeck said:

The motherboard in pounds costs more than in euros or USD, but tbh I think it's worth the money; the one and only time I tried saving money on the motherboard, it ended fried because the non OC'd CPU drew too much power. Anyways, 100 - 150 $ is a pretty average price for decent mobos

Thank you very much but don't mind about the currency because I'm swiss anyways so I get another currency than pounds dollars or euros.

So another question again :D What do you guys think about the Fractal Define Nano S Window? Do you think all my parts would fit in there or is it to small?

3 minutes ago, Halex_CH said:

So another question again :D What do you guys think about the Fractal Define Nano S Window? Do you think all my parts would fit in there or is it to small?

The motherboard is ATX, the case supports ITX only. I honestly would change the case to a mid tower ATX one, but the chioce is up to you. The motherboard won't fit anyways

Edited by LionSpeck

Can anyone tell me if the ASUS Z170l is a good motherboard as an mini ITX? And besides the motherboard everything would fit into the Fractal Define Nano S? I would prefer that one because it's not that big and would easily fit onto my table.

Could you first post an updated PCPartPicker list please? That would make the checking process a lot easier