My PC slowed down. ( like really really much)

MikeBoy

Hi guys, my PC was on "sleep" mode, when I turned it on I noticed that it slowed really hard. Now on games like CS:GO i have 30-40 fps (from 300 fps), 20-60 fps on LoL (from 300-400 fps). My computer is VERY clean. Temperatures is normal: 40-60 degrees Celsius on CPU, 30-70 degrees Celsius on GPU. Did full PC clean with: http://www.pccleaner.com/ . So any suggestion what the hell is wrong with my PC? (I really dont want to reinstall windows)

Sorry for my broken English and as always THANKS for help!!!!:)

Well for one thing, pccleaner.com has malware so not sure why you would download that fake program. And two, don't put your PC to sleep. Shut It Down Always. This prevents the drives from dying.

The geek himself.

Yeah, always try a reboot... otherwies, the temps on your cpu and gpu doesn't tell the whole story... I too had the same problem some time ago, where my fps in csgo would go from 250 to 30 fps for a couple of seconds and then back ug again. I checked my temps and specs with hardware monitor (a downloadable program I had running on a second monitor) and could see, that my cpu was throtling a lot (from 4500 mhz to 1400...). I could also see that it happened everytime the temps on the motherboard hit 100C. So I installed another fan pointing towards the VRM on the motherboard (it's the small headsinks on  the motherboard) and my temps went down by 30C and my cpu never throtled... 

Try runing hardware monitor to see if everything is, at it should be.

i7 7700K @ 4.8 Ghz (Kraken x52 aio cooler)

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI Motherboard

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Power Suply

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Well for one thing, pccleaner.com has malware so not sure why you would download that fake program. And two, don't put your PC to sleep. Shut It Down Always. This prevents the drives from dying.

Yeah, It can cause ram memomry leaks if you use sleep mode.

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

1 minute ago, Jesmo said:

Yeah, It can cause ram memomry leaks if you use sleep mode.

That too

The geek himself.

I suggest first uninstall all the antivirus software if you have more than one. MS security essentials with malware bytes will be more than enough for average consumer. Try scanning your computer for infections using malware bytes. Second, remove temp files.

Rebooting may work for that time but It will begin to slow down later.. So find the real cause and solve it.. If you dont have so many data or if you can back up your personal files to an external drive then try formatting the hard drive (Low level formatting) and then reinstalling windows.

15 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

What? where did this come from?  This is news to me and have played and worked with PCs for over 20 years... in fact the case FOR using sleep is a very good one.

Source: http://www.howtogeek.com/256395/psa-don’t-shut-down-your-computer-just-use-sleep-or-hibernation/

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

What? where did this come from?  This is news to me and have played and worked with PCs for over 20 years... in fact the case FOR using sleep is a very good one.

Source: http://www.howtogeek.com/256395/psa-don’t-shut-down-your-computer-just-use-sleep-or-hibernation/

Ya do know that how to geek is not the best website for information

The geek himself.

2 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Ya do know that how to geek is not the best website for information

Yes, it was just one source I could lay my hands on quickly... and I already said that I have played and worked with computers for many years now and can't remember one single drive failing/dying due to people using sleep mode. The nearest I can even come to that is years ago on older hardware where when put in hibernation mode, they would not wake up again and if I remember correctly the ie Laptop had to have the battery removed and discharge the laptop, then plug directly maybe? to get it going again... whereas I think it was just resetting CMOS for desktop... but I could be wrong about the details, but definitely cannot remember a single drive failure due to sleep mode. I have used it a lot, day to day for at least 2-3 years now and maybe the occassional cold boot here and there. 10-15 years ago I used to leave my computer on for days, not using sleep/hibernation etc as I was usually running some programs while I slept, but these days it's really not needed as things are a lot faster now.

If you can cite some examples of sleep mode being bad for hard drives I would be interested to read them?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I suggest seeing if your cores are parked yes this is a long shot but and I wouldn't say this but league of legends and cs go are extremely cpu dependent. It's Atleast a thought sorry if I'm wrong. Another thing to check is last resort go to restore a last save point but that's more of a last resort. Good luck 

20 hours ago, Jesmo said:

Yeah, always try a reboot... otherwies, the temps on your cpu and gpu doesn't tell the whole story... I too had the same problem some time ago, where my fps in csgo would go from 250 to 30 fps for a couple of seconds and then back ug again. I checked my temps and specs with hardware monitor (a downloadable program I had running on a second monitor) and could see, that my cpu was throtling a lot (from 4500 mhz to 1400...). I could also see that it happened everytime the temps on the motherboard hit 100C. So I installed another fan pointing towards the VRM on the motherboard (it's the small headsinks on  the motherboard) and my temps went down by 30C and my cpu never throtled... 

Try runing hardware monitor to see if everything is, at it should be.

Thanks Jesmo, i found out that my CPU is throttling like a boss (800 from 4500 MHz). Any ideas how should I fix it? Or can I just turn MHz back to normal (4500 MHz)? Its strange to my why this happened because i have corsair h110 CPU cooler... Maybe thermal paste is bad (because i used stock one)?

10 hours ago, MikeBoy said:

Thanks Jesmo, i found out that my CPU is throttling like a boss (800 from 4500 MHz). Any ideas how should I fix it? Or can I just turn MHz back to normal (4500 MHz)? Its strange to my why this happened because i have corsair h110 CPU cooler... Maybe thermal paste is bad (because i used stock one)?

As you wrote in the original post, the temps on the cpu is fine, so I would start my using Hardware Monitor while runing a stresstest to see if any temps on the motherboard goes too high... If that's the case, then the solution is simple: install more fans. If not, then you should check your bios for something like "power management" or any other setting that would throttle your cpu. 

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor