Ultra budget build help

wolfmcbeard
Go to solution Solved by wolfmcbeard,
1 minute ago, kittenmetal said:

There is no harm in doing a slow build/buy method, if you have a steady budget set each month.  - My Current Build was built in a manner very similar to this, plus it allows you to adjust for new technologies in the process. but build up your wishlist and write the parts down, and go price hunting!

say your monthly Budget for your new build was $150  - 

Month one September -
New PSU https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Tester-100-B1-0700-K1/dp/B018JYHBE6

700w EVGA PSU ($53)
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-750-EVO-2-5-Inch-MZ-750250BW/dp/B01AAKZRP2
250GB Samsung SSD $70

Plus all your other little bits and bobs people often forget like the thermal paste, cable ties etc. as you will have about $20 spare

Month Two $150 October -
if you saved that $20 instead you can get your Motherboard (there may be others out there) - (I am an AMD Entusiast so not up to speed with the new Intel Technologies but this appears to be compatible with Skylake Processors) See if you can find it somewhere else for sale (I don't like Ebay!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Z170-P-LGA-1151-Intel-Z170-HDMI-SATA-6Gb-s-USB-3-0-ATX-Intel-Motherboard-/122055649247?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Month 3 $150 November -
https://www.amazon.com/2133MHz-PC42133-Desktop-HX421C14FB2K2-16/dp/B01HI14AZ4
DDR4 Ram - $77
Save the Rest of the Dosh for Black Friday deals...

Month 4 December $150 + $63 Saved from November ($213)
Unknown Price but this is where the Black friday Deals come in when looking for that new Skylake Processor they are not cheap but there will be plenty on offer over the course of that weekend...
and Any other bits you need that you can get on deals and from the $213.

Month 5 January (if you have anything left over from christmas!)...

I am not going to carry on with this, but this is how I generally build my PC's because I am in a very similar position to yourself with a whole £100 Luxury cash only each month after bills and such. THis would be my advice if you really must get the build going now.  - just make sure you have somewhere safe for all the boxes...

Something that I should start on then, It shouldn't be to hard to do this.
Now I just need to see If I can trade my now overheating craptop at the pawn shop for a temporary desk top so we can watch stuff again.

I need a new pc asap, I'm new to the forums...
I've got two other computers,  a MacMini(useful for parts at this point)

An HP Pavilion DV6 with Ubuntu 16.04lts(It's also useless since my retro Toshiba satellite from 1995 runs faster)
And at one point an Acer ACX-605-G(Motherboard failed on 9-4-16)

I need advice on an ultra budget build, I don't make much so a $300 pc seems like $3,000, so I need advice to build something that will run 98% of games on Steam I'd love to have Fallout 4 running at 720p-30fps on low, that's my mark, if I can hit that, I’m fine with it.

If the motherboard didn't kill them upon it's death, I salvaged some parts...

Intel core i3-4160 3.6ghz 3m cache desktop processor
2x 4gb Corsair vengeance ddr3 1600mhz
WD blue 1tb hdd & Seagate barracuda 2tb hdd

I want to spend as little as possible so I want to know what will work with what I salvaged (while keeping in mind that all of it could have been fried)

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

i3-6100, b150(althou there are many cheap z170 outthere, go with that instead), 8gb ddr4(single stick?dualstick? wateva, doesnt matter), gtx 950 or rx 470, 3.5" 1TB HDD, 400w bronze
It would be best cheap-bang-buck-futureproofready you can get, it should be 450$ top

Edited by Yahtadi
Forgot a word

Assuming those parts still work and you reuse the case and the cpu cooler this would be th cheapest i would go  http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YDymr7  also i guesse you still have the windows licence if using windows

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

1 minute ago, malon said:

Assuming those parts still work and you reuse the case and the cpu cooler this would be th cheapest i would go  http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YDymr7  also i guesse you still have the windows licence if using windows

I have the cooler still, but not the case (low profile proprietary)
Didn't have a Windows disk when I bought the thing new over a year ago, but I've got a friend with a legit disk I can use.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

1 minute ago, malon said:

Enough with damn 'should be enough' thing, go with latest gen OP! Skylakes are cheap now, Polaris also
Dont buy any 'my i7 3970x stil capable to run entire universe' kinda post
Go with Skylake+Polaris(or even wait for gtx 1050 or something), ride along man

From where are you buying? Can't you save up even 50 dollars?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Yahtadi said:

Enough with damn 'should be enough' thing, go with latest gen OP! Skylakes are cheap now, Polaris also

I just need something that I can upgrade later, for me, waiting is kinda out, my pc is also our cable box/ game system here, nither of my working pc can do that at the moment...or ever for that matter.

2 minutes ago, Yahtadi said:

He has some parts salvaged cpu hdd and memory and wants to stay under 300. Im listening to the OP HIS request and HIS bugdet, not to my own budget or what you would do.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

8 minutes ago, Matt Hawkins said:

I have the cooler still, but not the case (low profile proprietary)
Didn't have a Windows disk when I bought the thing new over a year ago, but I've got a friend with a legit disk I can use.

I never liked suggesting cases since that is all personal taste but i know there are decent cases for 30-40 do.lars new or secondhand cases under 20. Just try to avoid any tin can cases

Just now, malon said:

I never liked suggesting cases since that is all personal taste but i know there are decent cases for 30-40 do.lars new or secondhand cases under 20. Just try to avoid any tin can cases

A case and psu are the two things I couldn't cheap out on if I tried.

14 minutes ago, Yahtadi said:

Skylake isn' cheap enough to fit into this kind of budget. Neither is Polaris. 

Just now, MasamotoTakeshi said:

No, sadly it's not.
I know by next year, I'll probably be able to do a "proper" build (I would love to do that), but until then I need cheap for right now.

5 minutes ago, Matt Hawkins said:

A case and psu are the two things I couldn't cheap out on if I tried.

Good. Those parts are the ones you should buy once and reuse again and again. A decent PSU usually has a 5-10 year lifespan and a case if looked after well can last indefinitely (Provided it's not left in sunlight and warps and etc.) But if you buy once with the car and PSU they should last well. :D All I would say is don't cheap out on those. You have the right idea. 9_9

1 minute ago, MasamotoTakeshi said:

Are you kidding? OP said his budget is 300$ right? sell anything he had left add a little bit extra bucks, and bam.. Just check it up
[i3-6100, *edited* cheap z170, 8gb ddr4, gtx 950 or rx 470, 3.5" 1TB HDD, 400w bronze]

Those thingy 450$ top for whole system, it could run 1080p medium on 45-60fps. Me just too lazy to go to and make a list in pcpp
"isnt cheap enough" lel

Are you kidding? OP said his budget is 300$ right? sell anything he had left add a little bit extra bucks, and bam.. Just check it up
[i3-6100, *edited* cheap z170, 8gb ddr4, gtx 950 or rx 470, 3.5" 1TB HDD, 400w bronze]

Those thingy 450$ top for whole system, it could run 1080p medium on 45-60fps. Me just too lazy to go to and make a list in pcpp
"isnt cheap enough" lel

If choose to go that rout, I'll still need to find out if the i3 and other salvage got hurt, I can find that out, but that may take a week, but it's not off the table.

Just now, Matt Hawkins said:

If choose to go that rout, I'll still need to find out if the i3 and other salvage got hurt, I can find that out, but that may take a week, but it's not off the table.

Sorry no offense but. That i3 isnt hard to find(shouldnt be), every local store should be got that.. Where do you live?

On 9/7/2016 at 4:11 AM, Yahtadi said:

"isnt cheap enough" lel

are you really suggesting a z170 mobo on a 300$ build ? Are you out of your mind ? Even 30$ price difference count in this budget.

I am confused these parts listed on OP, are they working or not ?

Sorry no offense but. That i3 isnt hard to find(shouldnt be), every local store should be got that.. Where do you live?

northern Kentucky

3 minutes ago, Yahtadi said:

"isnt cheap enough" lel

On amazon:

Intel i3 - 6100: $118.69

ASRock Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboards Z170M PRO4S: $99.99

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS8G4D240FSE (Red): $31.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB GAMING: $139.99

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM: $49.99

Silverstone Tek 80 Plus Bronze Certified Active PFC Power Supply ATX12V 400W Power Supply: $49.99

Total: $490.64

Not bad but it was $300 originally :D

3 minutes ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

are you really suggesting a z170 mobo on a 300$ build ? Are you out of your mind ? 

Sure, why not and no, i aint out my mind

1 minute ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

are you really suggesting a z170 mobo on a 300$ build ? Are you out of your mind ? Even 30$ price difference count in this budget.

not sure yet, more likely they are fine.
I know some one I can go to to check them, not sure when he'll have the free time.

2 minutes ago, MasamotoTakeshi said:

On amazon:

Intel i3 - 6100: $118.69

ASRock Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboards Z170M PRO4S: $99.99

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS8G4D240FSE (Red): $31.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB GAMING: $139.99

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM: $49.99

Silverstone Tek 80 Plus Bronze Certified Active PFC Power Supply ATX12V 400W Power Supply: $49.99

Total: $490.64

Not bad but it was $300 originally :D

$500 is a scary number, but if the parts are fine(so I can sell them), and my local pawn shop will buy this old laptop, I should be able to go that rout.

Edited by Matt Hawkins

4 minutes ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

H170 makes much more sense considering the i3 - 6100 can't overclock and the Z170 is designed to work with the unlocked K CPU's to utilise their unlocked capabilities and overclock them. :D

On 9/7/2016 at 4:21 AM, Matt Hawkins said:

not sure yet, more likely they are fine.
I know some one I can go to to check them, not sure when he'll have the free time.

If they are just get the cheapest mobo you can get for that haswell cpu and invest the rest on a r9 380x or something. Prices will vary depending on your area.  What you need to keep in mind though is that the next time you will do an upgrade you might end up wanting to upgrade the cpu, in which case you will be left with the dilemma of getting an older generation i5 or i7 and keeping the mobo or buying the full mobo+cpu+ram package, as skylake and beyond are focusing on ddr4.

The other option is to sell the cpu and the ram if they are still working and add that money to the budget 

On 9/7/2016 at 4:23 AM, MasamotoTakeshi said:

H170 makes much more sense considering the i3 - 6100 can't overclock and the Z170 is designed to work with the unlocked K CPU's to utilise their unlocked capabilities and overclock them. :D

thank you!