upgrading ram?

Go to solution Solved by cjm_036653,
2 minutes ago, WishPrakhar said:

Upgrading RAM would help in multitasking but if u want faster boot time and opening of apps I would strongly suggest you to get an SSD... it will give a new life to your computer

I agree. Furthermore, it seems that the amd a4-1250 only supports 1333Mhz RAM, so you could only upgrade capacity, not speed.

hi everyone,

i have an slow laptop with 4GB 1000MHZ of RAM.

will upgrading it to 8GB 1600MHZ inprove the preformens?

Need a better pc for school to run programs like visual basic and eagle but i don't have the money for a new laptop

thanks in advanced.

What are the specs of your current laptop?

ASUS G751JY-T7134H

I7-4710HQ@3.5Ghz; 16GB DDR3; GTX980M 4GB GDDR5; 128GB M.2 SSD; 1TB 7200rpm HDD; 17.3" FHD IPS

I dont see the speed of youre ram increasing youre performance much if at all. Depends on if what youre doing takes a lot of ram. What are you planning to do with it?

Depends on how much ram you are already using, the speed of the ram won't affect much but the increased capacity means you can run more things simultaneously/more memory intense programs without issue.

Also does the laptop have a HDD, if so an SSD will speed up the computer significantly

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, AtomicDenly said:

hi everyone,

Need a better pc for school to run programs like visual basic and eagle but i don't have the money for a new laptop

thanks in advanced.

It would only help performance a little, mostly if you're hitting the 4gb ram cap to begin with.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

1 minute ago, cjm_036653 said:

What are the specs of your current laptop?

AMD A4-1250 ,AMD HD 8210 , Hynix HMT351S6CFR8A-PB 1x4GB WD Blue 2.5" 500GB

5 minutes ago, AtomicDenly said:

hi everyone,

thanks in advanced.

Upgrading RAM would help in multitasking but if u want faster boot time and opening of apps I would strongly suggest you to get an SSD... it will give a new life to your computer

2 minutes ago, SpencerBoughtAnXbox said:

I dont see the speed of youre ram increasing youre performance much if at all. Depends on if what youre doing takes a lot of ram. What are you planning to do with it?

for school i need to run programmig programs and i need to run simulations of programs

2 minutes ago, WishPrakhar said:

I agree. Furthermore, it seems that the amd a4-1250 only supports 1333Mhz RAM, so you could only upgrade capacity, not speed.

ASUS G751JY-T7134H

I7-4710HQ@3.5Ghz; 16GB DDR3; GTX980M 4GB GDDR5; 128GB M.2 SSD; 1TB 7200rpm HDD; 17.3" FHD IPS

11 minutes ago, AtomicDenly said:

AMD A4-1250 ,AMD HD 8210 , Hynix HMT351S6CFR8A-PB 1x4GB WD Blue 2.5" 500GB

Using the iGPU with shared RAM, it is possible that you would benefit from more, faster RAM, and is one of the few things you can upgrade in a laptop. But I would check for compatibility, as @cjm_036653 suggests it may be limited to 1333MHz (i.e., you want to know if that's the official speed, but can handle faster, or if whatever you do, it will be 1333 max).

2 minutes ago, AtomicDenly said:

for school i need to run programmig programs and i need to run simulations of programs

I see more of a benifit in upgrading the cpu and as said above youre cpu does not support 1600Mhz RAM only up to 1333Mhz

4GB just felt slow for me in Windows even with a discrete gpu (though in Linux it was fine). I imagine upgrading to 8GB of system RAM will make your computer feel significantly faster. And an SSD would be a nice upgrade too.