Which Router/firewall OS??

Max Money AWA

What is a good, simple, user-friendly OS for this application?

I have a new little system built to use as a firewall/router machine. I want to put it between the modem and the store-bought router I have. It's a Linksys. I need to keep the router for the wireless signal for an old laptop and new satellite TV system. I had originally built the system to run Smoothwall, but that has a rather steep learning curve that I didn't foresee. What do you folks suggest?

Do you actually need one? Because other than the few use case scenarios, or you're running an enterprise who's likely to be targeted, it's not worth it.

What are you planning on doing with it?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

The best OS for a router would be ClearOS or pfSense. I'd personally go with pfSense because the layout is excellent, they have explanations for all of the networking options, and they have a great plugin repository like including an antivirus for network connections - you're literally prevented from downloading a virus from your router.

Edit: Build your own router for the most power and configurability.

Ok I don't get this.. your router is already a firewall. Plus you have Windows with a pretty damn good one as well.

You only need a dedicated firewall if you want protection against a person specifcally attacking you,

This doesn't happen to non companies.. and even then.. large companies, and schools at worst.

Why?

-> The hacker doesn't care about your vacation pictures.

-> The hacker has nothing in your system that has any value in the black market to steal.

-> It's hours of work for nothing.

-> Sure maybe he is totally bored to death, and has no life, and no skills to hack something else, that he might delete some files. yay?! But you have backups, so who cares, and what bad luck you would have that someone does that.

-> Your IP address is not static, making it hard for a hacker to figure which IP does what.

All you need is to block worms and automated attacks.