Resetting Windows for Selling?

byalexandr

I'm selling my PC, blah blah, anyways, I need to reset Windows on the SSD back to factory settings. My only question is that I have Windows activated on my rig with the Insider licensing, so I don't know if it will stay activated when I restore the PC and wipe everything. Does MS assign an actual key to the PC or is it still only activated because I'm signed in to MS and it knows I'm an Insider?

Should I just go ahead and wipe and find out? I am 100% certain I am selling it anyways.

I dont know, but i have like 4 windows 10 installs activated whit my MS account.. 

Just now, Monster014 said:

I dont know, but i have like 4 windows 10 installs activated whit my MS account.. 

Now that I think about it, whenever I had reset my PC it was activated when I hadn't even signed into my MS account yet. So I think they gave an OEM key to this PC.

Just now, byalexandr said:

Now that I think about it, whenever I had reset my PC it was activated when I hadn't even signed into my MS account yet. So I think they gave an OEM key to this PC.

For my laptop atleast, it is using the key that is saved in UEFI BIOS, but i have no idea why are other ones activated xD

5 hours ago, SilentXer0 said:

the machine should have a digital license and activate itself the first time it connects to the internet.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

I'm pretty sure you're right, whenever I reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop and desktop, it never asks me to put in a license key, it automatically finds it. I'm pretty sure it finds it using your hard drive serial or something like that. When I installed an SSD on my desktop, I'm pretty sure I had to insert a license key for Windows 10

6 minutes ago, KoreanAsian said:

I'm pretty sure you're right, whenever I reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop and desktop, it never asks me to put in a license key, it automatically finds it. I'm pretty sure it finds it using your hard drive serial or something like that. When I installed an SSD on my desktop, I'm pretty sure I had to insert a license key for Windows 10

Actually it's tied to your motherboard. So if you change out a motherboard it deactivates as it's technically a 'new system'.

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Actually it's tied to your motherboard. So if you change out a motherboard it deactivates as it's technically a 'new system'.

Well then, you learn something new every day. I was told it was the hard drive but motherboard makes more sense because it's something you don't replace too often.