Which comes First?

SHAD0WxF1R3

This is just a simple question as a, "What should I get first type scenario."

I am looking into upgrading my system into an LGA 1151 i5-6400 system from my current AM3+ FX-4300.

But I also wanted to replace my graphics card. Going from an R7 260x to a GTX 1060 or RX 480 (Still debating, but leaning towards 1060 for power consumption).

I know the 4300 will be a massive bottleneck, which it already pretty much is in this case, but I was wondering, should I upgrade core components first and have less of a bottleneck now/ pay more upfront?

OR

Buy the graphics card now and upgrade the system later after saving up some for potentially more (Maybe a 6600k or such?)

Spoiler

Gaijin-Oni: 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM
    Corsair 4x8GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro
  • GPU
    RX 7900 XT
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5
  • Storage
    1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVME
    1x 8TB Seagate Drives (Shucked)
    2x 1TB HP SSD's
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000w PSU
  • Display(s)
    Viotek 1440p 144hz 27in
    LG 4K 32in
    Acer 1080p 27in
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i Capellix
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K552 Modded
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 Elite
  • Sound
    SoundBlaster Pro Audigy (Sennheiser HDXX's)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 64-bit

i5 6500 + H170 board first. RX 470 then

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It depends on where you're lacking the most. 

Look at the games you play and see whether you're being held back more by the cpu or by the graphics card. 

If you're not sure, the graphics card is the better bet.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Honestly either way works, it might be cool to see how much of a bottleneck your CPU is for a 1060/480

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Honestly, I'd go with the 1060 right now, regardless of the bottleneck.

Why?

Zen is around the corner.  You'd have more options in the CPU department then.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It depends where you're lacking the most. 

Look at the games you play and see whether you're being held back more by the cpu or by the graphics card. 

I tend to play alot of the newer games, and after playing the BF1 Beta it is clear to me how much I am lacking in terms of GPU power, not to mention the card is already showing signs of death, like artifacting.

Spoiler

Gaijin-Oni: 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM
    Corsair 4x8GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro
  • GPU
    RX 7900 XT
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5
  • Storage
    1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVME
    1x 8TB Seagate Drives (Shucked)
    2x 1TB HP SSD's
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000w PSU
  • Display(s)
    Viotek 1440p 144hz 27in
    LG 4K 32in
    Acer 1080p 27in
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i Capellix
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K552 Modded
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 Elite
  • Sound
    SoundBlaster Pro Audigy (Sennheiser HDXX's)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 64-bit

Me personally i would Upgrade my Cpu first.

6 minutes ago, SHAD0WxF1R3 said:

I tend to play alot of the newer games, and after playing the BF1 Beta it is clear to me how much I am lacking in terms of GPU power, not to mention the card is already showing signs of death, like artifacting.

Definitely go with the graphics card upgrade in that case.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

But, his current card is dying and already showing artifacting. xD  

What's funny?, I, said "Personally" and if he upgrades his Cpu first, he won't have to take his motherboard out when he gets his New Gpu.

yeah, if your card is giving up the ghost, go ahead and replace it, then worry about the processor, plus it might be a good idea to wait for Zen, In hindsight maybe I should have too

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I doubt he wants to use stock intel graphics to play newer games.  He's going to have a weak point regardless.

Why would he use intel graphics while he has a gpu?

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

His current GPU is dying.  It is artifacting.

So why wouldn't he just ride it out till it dies and plus if he gets the new gpu there will be a massive bottleneck and probably won't see much of a performance gain and Bf1 doesn't come out till a month from now. and other games not till the end of this month and later on, but still me personally i would just upgrade the cpu first

So why wouldn't he just ride it out till it dies and plus if he gets the new gpu there will be a massive bottleneck and probably won't see much of a performance gain and Bf1 doesn't come out till a month from now. and other games not till the end of this month and later on, but still me personally i would just upgrade the cpu first.

So why wouldn't he just ride it out till it dies and plus if he gets the new gpu there will be a massive bottleneck and probably won't see much of a performance gain and Bf1 doesn't come out till a month from now. and other games not till the end of this month and later on, but still me personally i would just upgrade the cpu first.

A Benchmark Database would be awesome. Where you could check in you components, your preferred games and get average fps by users.
There are so many questions like this in the Web.

I would go with a new GPU first btw.

- If in doubt,        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 9/4/2016 at 5:02 PM, valdyrgramr said:

Why game with an artifacting card?  Why get the lowest end i5 in skylake when you are going to have more options soon that will drop the price?

He said he would probably get a i5 6600k

i5-6500/Gainward 1060 Phoenix GS 3BG is the way for me. Else, Sapphire's Rx 470 Nitro+ OC 3GB. Nothing in between.

27 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

He said the 6400, and onboard GPUs aren't exactly the best.  Personally, I'd wait to see what Zen has to offer and get the 1060 since his card is pretty much dying as it is.

Read it again look at the very bottom of the post

Just now, Endrivia said:

Read it again look at the very bottom of the post

He said i5 6600k

If you have the patience to wait, Zen is coming. As far as the graphic card goes I would pick the RX480 because it has a improved energy efficiency, it ages well compared to it's Nvidia counterparts, it is cheaper* , DX12 and Vulkan are promising

*depending on your location