6100 vs 6600k or 6700k

Hello guys I am building a mini itx system for travel purposes and right now I just put together a temporary 860k cpu with a88x mobo system but for an upgrade should I buy a i3 and use the extra money for a GPU or go for the 6600k or 6700k and save up for a new gpu right now I'm rocking a 560ti 448 LE core and plan to get a 480. This system will be my all around gaming and content creation 

If it's mainly gaming you'll be doing, i5 6600k all the way. The 6700k is overkill unless you are also doing intensive 3d modeling ect. I would stay away from an i3 personally because they might bottleneck more cpu intensive games + it has no overclocking support. 

For gaming the 6600k would definitely be enough. For content creation (video editing,..) I would rather tend to the 6700k. Considering you will only be using it as a travel pc, you might want to stick with the 6600k or use the 6700, on which my system is running on.

16 minutes ago, EuphoricLlama said:

If it's mainly gaming you'll be doing, i5 6600k all the way. The 6700k is overkill unless you are also doing intensive 3d modeling ect. I would stay away from an i3 personally because they might bottleneck more cpu intensive games + it has no overclocking support. 

You can't really say that. Because some games benefit from hyper threading. That is just like saying dont get a Lamborghini if you aren't a pro racer. 

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

You can't really say that. Because some games benefit from hyper threading. That is just like saying dont get a Lamborghini if you aren't a pro racer. 

It won't help as barely any games use more than 4 cores which the i5 6600k already has, negating the need for hyper threading 

2 minutes ago, EuphoricLlama said:

It won't help as barely any games use more than 4 cores which the i5 6600k already has, negating the need for hyper threading 

you do understand what hyper threading is, correct?

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

you do understand what hyper threading is, correct?

Games rarely use more than 2-3 cores, so the extra hyperthreads are largely irrelevant.
A hyperthread uses residual cycles of the main cores to allow another thread to do useful work.
The effective capability of a hyperthread is perhaps 1/4 of a full core.
This is of advantage in an app that can dispatch many threads. Video rendering might be an example.
But, a game usually depends on faster threads. That is one reason that the faster intel threads are better for gaming than the more numerous but slower AMD threads.
If a game can direct the os to dispatch it's critical work on a main thread, that is good.
If a game is ignorant about the presence of hyperthreading, important work may get directed to a slower hyperthread.

15 minutes ago, EuphoricLlama said:

Games rarely use more than 2-3 cores, so the extra hyperthreads are largely irrelevant.
A hyperthread uses residual cycles of the main cores to allow another thread to do useful work.
The effective capability of a hyperthread is perhaps 1/4 of a full core.
This is of advantage in an app that can dispatch many threads. Video rendering might be an example.
But, a game usually depends on faster threads. That is one reason that the faster intel threads are better for gaming than the more numerous but slower AMD threads.
If a game can direct the os to dispatch it's critical work on a main thread, that is good.
If a game is ignorant about the presence of hyperthreading, important work may get directed to a slower hyperthread.

It really depends on the game, Frostbite (engine) will use all the threads you throw at it, same for simulation-based games like Cities: Skylines, etc.

Most modern engines will use hyper-threading efficiently, I still think an i7 for gaming is a little overkill right now.